Best way to play digital files.

ibonexheadx

So i am going to be setting up a basic stereo system in my living room for a turntable so i am just wondering what the best way to get my music from my computer in my den to my living room would be. Should i buy some sort of dac and run a cable out from the den to the living room or is there any dacs or anything else that would accept wireless streaming of my music, i'm not a huge audio person so i am not sure what to do here.

They've been discontinued for a few years, but the Logitech Squeezebox products are very nice. Logitech has continued to support them with software updates.

I would go with a Google Chromecast Audio for $35. There are lots of free server software for the computer. Or you can use BubbleUpn on a smartphone and start listening to your own library and/or streaming services.

NAD makes a wireless DAC that should do what you need to do. Also NuForce has a couple of such devices. There are probably others also.

Problem I had with anything Bluetooth ( a year or more ago now), was sound quality,,,,,, bitrate just too low I guess.

You may be able to find a cheap BDP in a thrift or something that will support streaming from DLNA server and also maybe even SACD if you are lucky. Trick is finding one with analog audio outputs. I've been able to find a few that have 2 of 3 of those things but not all 3. FLAC support seems to be limited to newer models, but analog outs are disappearing save for things like OPPO.

This may not be the *best* solution, but it's a cool thing to have around so you can throw it in a spare bedroom or something for Netflix etc. as well. (that's what I've been doing.)

So i am going to be setting up a basic stereo system in my living room for a turntable so i am just wondering what the best way to get my music from my computer in my den to my living room would be. Should i buy some sort of dac and run a cable out from the den to the living room or is there any dacs or anything else that would accept wireless streaming of my music, i'm not a huge audio person so i am not sure what to do here.

Some WiFi streamers:

Marantz NA6005
Several Cambridge streamers
Denon DN-200WS

There are also some new WiFi enabled integrated amps and receivers from Yamaha, Marantz, and few others.

EDIT: rereading your post, all of the above are for digital sources. To stream turntable over wireless you’d need to convert from analog to digital first then send it over wireless using something similar to DN-202WT Wireless Transmitter and convert back to analog using DN-202WR Wireless Receiver.

I have no personal experience with any of the above and no affiliation.

EDIT2: DN-202WT and DN-202WR are Bluetooth rather than WiFi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom