Chassis layout: Underside choke mounting

thorpej

I have a few more holes to drill in the chassis of my 6L6 SE project, and I'm fretting over my planned location for the power supply filter choke. This choke (2.5H) is going to have the full current of the amp pulled through it: 160mA or so. My original plan was to put it just inside of the PT / can caps (see photo). But I'm worried about introducing noise, and am considering relocating it to the edge of the chassis (other side of the caps),but it's in a much less convenient location there.

IMG_2802.jpg

Are my concerns unfounded?

Layout questions and their answers are always of interest to me. Choke will be fine under the chassis being in DC circuit, it isn't prone to RF, mount where optimal to your layout needs. Quite often I see them located mounted on an under chassis side wall, which fits there physical shape well of being much taller than they are thick.

You can put it under the PT as long as the cores are turned 90* opposite each other... I've used PT bolts to fasten chokes under chassis with no problems...

is there space on chassis side to mount it?
I have seen them there on some amps.
oops looks like U already looked there.
nevermind.

You can put it under the PT as long as the cores are turned 90* opposite each other... I've used PT bolts to fasten chokes under chassis with no problems...

Do you mean 90* relative to the PT (which is on the top side)? There's only going to be one choke below.

Yes ... the laminations of the two coils should not be parallel... turn them 90*. even tho one is under the other...

Attachments

• PA210040.JPG
    PA210040.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 10
If your chassis is steel , there will be no problem no matter how you mount it , if it is aluminum you must mount it at a 90 degree angle

You'd have to take care that any stray magnetic field (120Hz) won't get into any low level audio signal or stage. Placing the choke in the same area where the power transformer would be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom