DIN jack and Tape #2

gkhashem

How risky is it to connect a tape deck to a DIN jack and then connect another unit. Say an Sony HD radio tuner to the RCA jacks on tape #2.

I have a SX-1250 and an SA-9100 with a DIN jack. I assume as long as only one input is on I should be OK.

I have too many toys to connect and use many of the inputs.

As I understand the 1250's owners and service manual, you have 2 tape loops (Tape 1 and Tape 2)

Tape Loop 1 is strictly RCA JACKS.

Tape Loop 2 has both RCA JACKS and a DIN PLUG. The RCA's and the DIN's are in parallel. They are NOT designed to have gear plugged in to BOTH at the same time. One or the other but not both. Doing that WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS, Can cause HUM, and ground loops. DIN was/is very popular in Europe, but not so much in the states.

You would be better off getting a 3 or 4 unit switch box. The Ratshack box is called "tape control center" and has RCA's for 3 tape loops, CD's, cassettes, etc. and the input and output switches and RCA's to the receiver. It's only available on Ebay now. There are also newer ones but I don't know who makes them. I've had my Ratshack T.C.C. since 1977 and no problems with it.
Plug it in to Tape loop 1 and you now have 3 decks or sources with another tape loop (#2) available.

Thanks Larry I like the switch box idea already have 3 whats one more.

I thought there might be an issue

Seems to me the RCA jacks are unbalanced, while the DIN connection is balanced. Hence potential ground loop issues if you try using both at the same time. Also, seems to me I've heard the DIN plugs on Japanese receivers tended to be higher output, which could be an issue for equipment not designed for it.

* Get yourself a dbx 200 and be done with any switching issues ... one box solution for a whole lotta IO, eh ...

Back
Top Bottom