W 90,70, and 60 Woofers?

maicomutt

Can anyone tell me if the Red Alnico woofers in a W90 are the same as the Alnicos in either the W70 or 60? Ohm wise or whatnot?
Have an early set of W90s and all four woofers are the PST bung type, they sound great as are but being a hopeless tweaker I have been curious to try changing out one each of the bunged woofers for the open cone type to see if the sound would be different.

Can anyone tell me if the Red Alnico woofers in a W90 are the same as the Alnicos in either the W70 or 60? Ohm wise or whatnot?
Have an early set of W90s and all four woofers are the PST bung type, they sound great as are but being a hopeless tweaker I have been curious to try changing out one each of the bunged woofers for the open cone type to see if the sound would be different.

I think so. Pretty sure that most of the 12" are 8 ohms (and interchangeable, except the Super 12s). When I bought my 90s, one of the PST bung filled 12s was dead. I cut the disc out, and glued it into a (replacement) open coned driver. If there's a sonic difference, I couldn't tell.

BTW-My bunged drivers are in the cabs with sand-filled back and tube port. My regular 12s are in the cabs with vented backs (a series of parallel saw cut slits).

Last edited:
They are the same. I purchased 2 Alnico W12s pulled from a set of W70's as a replacemental for a W90 woofer with a rubbing voice coil. It was identical. I took a bunch of pictures. I believe they are in the Wharfedale Owners thread.

I owned a set of W90's. Bought a pair of W60's to scavenge for the tweeters. Woofers were also good, so I compared them to my 90 woofers. Looked identical. My 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom