Finally I have a BA-5000!

super98lsc

After several years of dreaming about it, its finally a reality. Cosmetically she is a bit rough but I will restore it and refinish it. The boards have all been recapped by one of our beloved experts here known as Vigman! Its in perfect functioning order but still using the original power filter caps. They were tested within 10% of spec so still working well but I also plan to refresh those while I have the entire unit broken down for refinishing later this year.

First impressions? I am FLAT OUT AMAZED!
My speakers are not an easy load to drive, they have a lot of interesting things going on with cabinet alignment, filter networks etc. They are flat to 18.7Hz on up with less than 1.5 db variance across the board. Dad and I built them 30 years ago. Hes a physicist and engineer so we had access to very high end labs, gear, and help from quite a few others at Tracor Aerospace where he worked back then.

First thing I noticed was the amazing change in bass response. With all the other amps I had to run a 4db boost at 400Hz on the CA-3000 to add warmth/punch that just felt like it was missing. Always figured it was the room. The separation of instruments, detail, the highs are so crisp without ANY type of harshness (Adcom GFA5500 was fatiguing to the ears), its just unreal. Now I run the CA-3000 in defeat mode without any EQ needed. Also disconnected the Martin Logan sub ive had hiding in the corner for years, just flat out no need for it.

I was going to use 2 or 4 amps and my Sansui CD-10 X-over to drive each of the 4 drivers in each cabinet separately but I honestly do not think it could get better than this. I listened for about an hour last night at around 30-50 watts a channel. The lows feel like your going to lift off the floor, the kick drums, snares etc are concussive its just great!!! Ok I can ramble for hours but this is my first "real" power amp. My BA-2000 sounds good but not even close to the BA-5000. Now I want a BA-3000 and one more BA-2000 to fill in the stack of 4.

The rack situation is VERY temporary likely will go with a lower wider rack or 2 short stacks. I am planning to move/walls rebuild a purpose driven room at some point this year.

Attachments

• IMG_9663.JPG
    IMG_9663.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 58
Welcome to the club! The BA-5K really is in a class of its own, and I know you will be very satisfied with it (until you decide you really need two of them so that you can run one per channel in bridged mono!).

Very cool! A pair came up for sale here locally a while ago and I was very tempted. Like I need any more amps ...

Oh, and my uncle worked at Tracor in Austin for many years ...

That's awesome. I just had to chime in because I noticed we have the same rack. I didn't think it could hold that much weight. Do you have the bottom shelf braced?

Very cool! A pair came up for sale here locally a while ago and I was very tempted. Like I need any more amps ...

Oh, and my uncle worked at Tracor in Austin for many years ...

I think buying more and more is a disease... one of my friends says I am an audio Hoarder. :-/

Would not surprise me if my father knew your uncle, small world in defense electronics especially back then.

Welcome to the club! The BA-5K really is in a class of its own, and I know you will be very satisfied with it (until you decide you really need two of them so that you can run one per channel in bridged mono!).

I know right.... but good grief my 33 year old cabinets wont handle that kind of power without bursting into flames!

Congratulations on entering the upper-most echelon of Sansuidom. This is one of the few units I still want badly, having now procured almost everything else of consequence save for the later non-export amps that are even more difficult to source. I guess I need to start building a BA5K fund so I can get in on the action. Eh, gives me an objective to work towards.

Kevin

Congrats my friend. I'm very happy for you. Now you need a BA 3000 and another BA 2000 as you said to complete the set and run your speakers actively. Pretty much the same as I'm going to do with my system. Only difference I bought a B 2302, instead of a BA 5000. I'm STILL waiting for my friend the car painter to paint my satellites and subs , so I can assemble them and start using them. Once more congrats , you hit gold. You know what to do with the led lighting for the meters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom