More Knives......

usedto

Lunatic Member
My mom was executrix for a few people who had no real family, so she ended up with some of their "stuff". When she passed, us kids divided all of her things. There was a box of old knives that belonged to one of these people that nobody wanted, so I took them. They sit on a shelf in the warehouse, but this thread got me to take a look. Most are older English butcher knives that have the name on them. There is, however, this set that I can't ID.

Both knives have "THB" stamped on the blade at the base of the handle, and the steel has none. None of the people have initials even close to that. The top knife is just under 20" long overall. The handles appear to be bone or horn, with aluminum caps.

Anyone have any idea who might have made them?

knifeset.jpg

No, but I really dig the carving knife in the middle!

There are about 12 knives all together, but that one caught my eye, too. There was also an F Dick #1425 (I don't think they make it any more) that was really nice. That one made it into the kitchen already.

The middle one is a "ham" knife, I have one that is similarly shaped.
Just saw a TV commercial where a chef was carving a ham, and that's exactly what his knife looked like.

I have another that's not quite as nice.

The carving knife is an excellent choice for skinning any type of fish fillets. I have a similar sized one that I use on Grouper; it is great. This find of yours is great. I am a knife nut.

The middle one is a "ham" knife, I have one that is similarly shaped.

My first thought was a churrasco set from a Brazillian restaurant but I think you nailed it.

They look more like a ham & roast beef set from a serving table at a restaurant buffet.

The handles appear to be bone or horn, with aluminum caps.

Anyone have any idea who might have made them?

They appear to be commercial but more formal than kitchen prep knives. I'd bet they were for a server that was out in the restaurant. As suggested, they look like slicing knives, possible for the buffet carving table. They are very nice and well made but THB is a mystery as to origin and brand.

The blades have some serious grinding/sanding marks in them. I almost wonder if they were homemade by someone.

For many centuries, blademaking has gravitated around certain areas....in England, it was Sheffield, Germany had Solingen, Japan had Seki City, Spain had Toledo, etc. If those knives are more than 75-80 years old, they probably came from Sheffield. Individual makers often did work for larger commercial houses, so it`s usually hard to tell exactly who made what....

Back
Top Bottom