C50 Firmware Update Available

Mike
Very sorry to hear you were unsucessful with the update process :tears:
I had a feeling you were going to attempt it
Hopefully you can get it going again, get the updates on it and begin enjoying your music sans pops & clicks soon

Take it from me, don't try this one at home. My C50 is still bricked.

Ron,

If you could help. I admit I should have listened to you. On my C50, Windows doesn't recognize it as a device at all so it won't mount. Perhaps it needs a device driver. Since it won't mount, both the USB Audio FW and the v2.0 FW will not load. Please help.

Are you working with a dealer to do the update? That is the solution.

Thanks again,
Ron-C

I am happy to report that a Mac engineer has reached out to me and we will try to figure out how to get my C50 back in business. Thank you to the guys/gals at McIntosh. Wish me luck!

You can use the built in iTunes or any other program since MAC after 10.6.4 has the required USB 2.0 High Speed driver.
Amara and Pure Music are often mentioned as popular work around of iTunes. The third party programs offer the potential of better sound and the ability to run any file type.
See www.computeraudiophile.com for discussions of the different MAC options.

thanks,
Ron-C

Aside from Pure Music, what would you recommend for aftermarket play back programs for MAC?

Thanks!

Really hard to beat pure music in my opinion. The fact that it sits on top of iTunes so you can use the iOS remote app on an iphone/ipad/ipod to control everything is excellent.

Another option worth looking at for Mac is Songbird, which is free, uses an interface similar to itunes, and supports FLAC natively without plugins if that's your thing. Not sure about its remote control ability, but they've probably addressed this.

I had my C48 updated recently by my local dealer (Audio Classics), and even required some assistance from McIntosh directly.

First, let me say that the Audio Classics and McIntosh folks were just fantastic in their support and communications.

And second, I'm finding the recent update and the suggested computer settings for J River allows the music to sound wonderful in my setup. No issues at all.

Time to demo some new speakers!

C50 current is, V2.11-V2.21, firmware-USB Audio, respectively. Your dealer will have these.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Ron -
Assume this is for C48 too?

Is it possible to get release notes of what's changed in the latest version? Would help decide if a trip to the dealer with the unit is necessary.

Thanks, Keith

Thank you @ron-c. I like to know the change log as well. Mine is out of warranty so I would have to pay a McIntosh service tech to do the install. Unless users can do it themselves... :jump:

This final update is based on the MHA100 firmware. For most there is no difference in this update. A few who have issues with the computer they use may find smoother operation. If your system is working fine then don't bother.
These updates have nothing to do with sound quality in the digital section.

Back
Top Bottom