Ubuntu 16.04 HTPC Issues

Beatnik

What's this ?
Upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04. No longer supports my Radeon card, no fglrx anymore, so I went grabbed a cheap Nvidia card. Tearing and jumpy picture. Tried the xorg driver and the proprietary Nvidia tested driver and same issue with both. I'm tempted to go back to 14.04 as I got a good picture, but eventually I guess I'll have to figure this out. Anyone now if there's another card that actually works well with Ubuntu now ?

Upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04. No longer supports my Radeon card, no fglrx anymore, so I went grabbed a cheap Nvidia card. Tearing and jumpy picture. Tried the xorg driver and the proprietary Nvidia tested driver and same issue with both. I'm tempted to go back to 14.04 as I got a good picture, but eventually I guess I'll have to figure this out. Anyone now if there's another card that actually works well with Ubuntu now ?
Ive had video issues with every ubuntu release after 12.04 so I just stick with that.

mine has issues booting up using nvidia drivers ..its a reported issue .
it seems to work fine with the xorg nouvea driver .. card is gt1600 .

mine is upgrade on top of upgrade for a good few years . i really need to do a fresh install .
it does boot with nvidia drivers but complains it cant talk with the dell motherboard and slows boot time down about 30 seconds or more extra .
also had a strange thing earlier when i looked at settings and just after i saw it was reporting i was using on-board graphics which i am not the machine decided to reboot .
have always had graphics problems after upgrade with ubuntu but can normally resolve it or it just sorts itself out somehow ..maybe an update does it .

I'm back on a fresh 14.04 install and the other card now. Just got Google installed, about to do the dvd player unlock thing and sort out my monitor/tv/projector which always takes a bit to get going. Hopefully it's back where it was...............and get rid of that keyring stuff.

Everything looks good, I think I'll stick with this. Question, do they eventually drop you completely like windows did xp users ? Like the updates you get when you install fresh ?

even after I 'googled' it I have no idea what Ubuntu 16.04. is. :dunno:
and...
what does it have to do with Home Theater and Video? :crazy:

Ubuntu is an operating system like Windows or Mac. It is what some use for htpc (home theater personal computer) to play dvd, blu-ray and stream Netflix, Youtube etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_theater_PC
Thanks for the info / link. Even with ~20 yrs experience in the computer/hi-tech field, I had no idea these platforms even existed. :confused:

Today's technology has passed me by and I have officially become my grandfather. :yikes:

A note from a Linux user as his main OS, NVidia drivers on Linux/BSD OS implementations can be a tenuous marriage. As those drivers are actually NVidia supplied, and behind the curve somewhat.

New post old thread

I was getting bad tearing on 14.04 for awhile and just living with it, finally I upgraded to 16.04 again, and same tearing problem. Downgraded back to 14.04 and now I'm getting a hum through my sound system when using the svga projector (opening pages and such causes more hum), if I have it only on the dvi monitor I get no hum. I need to take the computer apart and remember what card I'm running, I think it's the radeon.

Any suggestions on a small form card that will easily work well with 16.04 ???????

Last edited:
From what I find there is no support for the radeon in 16.04 ? Is there support for another brand card ?

no idea to be honest . i let the computer choose the driver,
just searched using software updater on this laptop and it doesn't suggest any other drivers for graphics . i guess its using whatever Ubuntu ships with .it seems to work fine with no issues .

Back
Top Bottom