Gear rack/stands

So I've got 3 at the moment. 1. A TV stand from Target (I don't know what the brand was, but it's a "58 inch weathered TV stand" for ~$150), 2. A TV stand from Convenience Concepts (~$45), 3. A dresser permanently attached to the wall in my dorm room. The last image is slightly older (I've replaced the CD player) but otherwise is accurate. The CC TV stand is slightly wobbly, but the weathered one is solid as a rock. Of course, it doesn't get any more solid than that dresser. :rflmao:

20160117_191836.jpg

20160119_171727.jpg

Last edited:
My dear friend Gary is at it again.....but not for me this time.
He agreed to build a rack for a good audio buddy of mine - Brian now calls me "The Godfather" because I got him this build :)

All maple - each shelf has 1 1/2 inch maple hardwood edging on all 4 sides.
Legs will be very dark and the shelves will remain natural....simply finish with clear.
Brian wanted a real contrast between the legs and shelves - to feature all his vintage gear and have it pop off of that shelf.

Here is the final fitting before stain and clear -

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a new (or used) rack/stand. I have a Pioneer SX-1250 that needs to fit and be held. I'm having trouble finding something nice. Any suggestions? I'm up in Brooklyn, so if anyone from around here has something or wants to custom build, let me know. However, a custom build is likely out of the question since I don't want to spend more than $500 if i don't have to.

Thanks!

Ikea Besta. Holds my 1250 and more. Lots of variations so utilize a measuring tape.

NOS 1980 GX-100 TT rack. I love this rare rack.

Only problem one top TT shelve and only 2 other 'fixed' shelves for equipment: amp & CD player or amp & tuner.

Also has a big bottom shelf specifically for LPS... a TT rack. Looks like it belongs in a 'modern art' museum. Nice.

Last edited:
NOS 1980 GX-100 TT rack. I love this rare rack.

Only problem one top TT shelve and only 2 other 'fixed' shelves for equipment: amp & CD player or amp & tuner.

Also has a big bottom shelf specifically for LPS... a TT rack. Looks like it belongs in a 'modern art' museum. Nice.
Pics, pics, pics! Please :thumbsup:

Flexi-tips

If you want to hide those long threaded rods on the Flexi you can cover them with small PVC pipe, spay painted black.

A Dremel with a cut off wheel is an easy way to cut the threaded rods to your dimensions. It's less expensive to buy the longest rods and then cut them down. A file will correct any threads that won't accept a nut.

Rubber washers or grommets between shelves lessens vibrations.

HD and Lowes carries nice chrome caps to fit over the top nuts for a more finished look.

Three legs are easier to balance than four.

3/4 MDF is the cheap way to go and HD will cut the shelves. MDF is very dense and tough to paint unless you prime it first with Elmers wood glue mixed with water. I did some Flexi-stands in satin black rolled on MDF with quarter round oak trim molding. If I do a rack that's the combo for high WAF.

I covered my threaded rods with a chrome shower curtain pipe. It was a little tough to cut, so I took it to the hardware store with my dimensions. They cut it for me on their pipe cutting tool for a few dollars. Worked well, and looks better than bare rods. To prevent it from cutting into the wood, I put a large fender washer on the top and bottom.

I glued two pieces of 3/4 inch MDF together, routed the edges to make it look finished, then painted with "stone paint" from a spray can. Then put it together like a Flexi rack.

IMG_2625.JPG

I covered my threaded rods with a chrome shower curtain pipe. It was a little tough to cut, so I took it to the hardware store with my dimensions. They cut it for me on their pipe cutting tool for a few dollars. Worked well, and looks better than bare rods. To prevent it from cutting into the wood, I put a large fender washer on the top and bottom.

I glued two pieces of 3/4 inch MDF together, routed the edges to make it look finished, then painted with "stone paint" from a spray can. Then put it together like a Flexi rack.

View attachment 738477

Nice gear and rack. The shower rod and washers are a good idea. I'll have to remember this one.

Vintage B&O stand in solid rosewood. Found it on CL. Outstanding condition except for one scratch which is covered by the laptop. It fits my space well.

image_zpsdqaapq2x.jpeg

I felt it was time to upgrade my hifi furniture from the lightweight Ikea stuff, and was actually planning to fabricate a flexy rack when I found on Craig's List a very good deal on a 5-shelf cherry Salamander rack - it would have cost more to make one!

My room is very small - just 8 x 12 - so I was concerned about a tall shelf behind the speakers messing up the imaging. I also keep two turntables in this system, and the DIY plinth on the Thorens is too big and heavy to work on top of a tall rack. It just didn't work in this space, so I came up with a good "hack."

I went to Home Depot and bought eight 5/8" x 12" threaded rods, and from the 5-shelf unit I made two 2-shelf racks (putting one shelf aside). This worked out very well! The shorter racks are more stable, the speakers have nothing directly between them and the wall, and I have easy access to all of my gear. Proportionately, it just works better in the space.

Oh, and it sounds much tighter, punchier, and better defined vs. when the gear was sitting on top of the lightweight Ikea stuff.

(BTW, the anime character plush toy in the foreground was a present that my daughter handmade for me. I'm not into anime, but like any good dad I'm delighted by anything my kid wants to make for me!)

yAmyxHd.jpg

I felt it was time to upgrade my hifi furniture from the lightweight Ikea stuff, and was actually planning to fabricate a flexy rack when I found on Craig's List a very good deal on a 5-shelf cherry Salamander rack - it would have cost more to make one!

My room is very small - just 8 x 12 - so I was concerned about a tall shelf behind the speakers messing up the imaging. I also keep two turntables in this system, and the DIY plinth on the Thorens is too big and heavy to work on top of a tall rack. It just didn't work in this space, so I came up with a good "hack."

I went to Home Depot and bought eight 5/8" x 12" threaded rods, and from the 5-shelf unit I made two 2-shelf racks (putting one shelf aside). This worked out very well! The shorter racks are more stable, the speakers have nothing directly between them and the wall, and I have easy access to all of my gear. Proportionately, it just works better in the space.

Oh, and it sounds much tighter, punchier, and better defined vs. when the gear was sitting on top of the lightweight Ikea stuff.

(BTW, the anime character plush toy in the foreground was a present that my daughter handmade for me. I'm not into anime, but like any good dad I'm delighted by anything my kid wants to make for me!)
Those Salamander racks are quite something and cost more than a pretty penny too. Good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom