Recommendations for a Miata (or other fun car)

Porsche boxsters and BMW Z3 & Z4 also fall into your budget too, will have more power. If you can find the M version of the Z3 in your budget.. that's a future classic, will probably go up in value.

Gotta admit ... that roof is pretty trick.

(I did notice he still had to kick start the slide into the lid after "fixing" it ... <G>

Maybe look at the entirely new (chassis) 05 and up Mustang as a 10 yr old one should be affordable. Simple & easy to work on plus huge aftermarket support. Safer also if someone not paying attention hits you!

You want a "new generation" Mustang owner to hit you, tell him you once owned a REAL Mustang ... :mad::confused:

WOW! Lots to consider that I hadn't thought about (or forgotten about).

Turns out there is a Del Sol in my price range local that appears to be in great condition.

The Fiat X1/9 brought back memories... that was my dream car at one point in time. Hmmmmm

That got me thinking about the poor man's Porsche (or rich man's Volkswagon)... what about the 914? I know 914 6's were rare as hen's teeth last time I looked for one but that would be FUN!!

Keep the suggestions coming!

914 could be fun but a 944 will likely be cheaper and far less likely to rust. 914 predates standard galvanizing of Porsche bodies.

Also, a 914 is TINY. I used to have one, and once I moved to DC the thoughts of resurrecting it for a fun yet cheap to run daily driver evaporated... I would have been dead in a week because the roof was so far below the beltline of most of the SUVs on the road (most of the vehicles on the road, that is.)

Those of us who prefer the earlier BMW Z3s also find them to be fun, reliable cars… And there are some pretty active Z3 clubs...

That got me thinking about the poor man's Porsche (or rich man's Volkswagon)... what about the 914? I know 914 6's were rare as hen's teeth last time I looked for one but that would be FUN!!

Even rarer finding one crammed up the ass end of a VW Bug ...

brownbug4(1).jpeg

Not a practical machine, but I betcha it's a fun one to drive ...

Those of us who prefer the earlier BMW Z3s also find them to be fun, reliable cars… And there are some pretty active Z3 clubs...

I once had the opportunity to drive an M roady with the 316 HP engine....that was an E-ticket ride !

The Corvair got knocked into oblivion by bad press and bad judgement, only to be replaced a few years later by some REAL pieces of shit like the Vega, Chevette, and various X-cars....
The Corvair was way ahead of it`s time (talking about the post-`64 2nd generation `vair)....too bad it never reached it`s full potential....

I do miss my '66 Corsa....

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

Pontiac Solstice will certainly turn heads ...

3146139pontiac-solstice-GM-ignition-switch-recall-lawsuit.jpg

... and don't worry about throwing out your neck watching it roll by ... they're really slow ... <G>

I do miss my '66 Corsa....

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

Wow, that`s a real beauty....what lines !
I had several of `em back in the day, 2 with the 140 HP engine, one that I did a Crown V8 conversion on. Now THAT was a fun car to take out and surprise the crap out of muscle car owners.... :)

Corvair V8 09.jpg Corvair V8 04.jpg

RamblinE, thanks for that great Miata video. Well done.

+ [another] 1!

Exotic cars aside, the cars that I've craved-for the longest / hardest, over several decades are the Morgans! Don't know to what extent they are available over there, tho'. I was also falling over myself, trying to get a Porsche 944S or 944 Turbo, in the day; but they were always a little rich for my [financial] blood. Also for 'out-and-out' fun, can you guys get Lotus or Caterham '7s' over there???

Anyway, in March [2016], I got a second gen. ["NB"] Miata! One of the guys in the [above] video mentioned the size thing. I find it to be perfectly fine; but compared to that lad, I'm only [a (now) 'shrunk-down'] 6' 0" and 200 lbs.

I had me an MGA, when I was a kid. I had a Mini, with a 1275 engine in it, in 1972; and when I was 60, I had someone drop a 'semi-warm' [135 bhp / 1.6] JDM VTEC 'lump' into my stock '95 Civic Hatchback [manual steering / 'double-wishbones' all round!]. My Miata provides at least as much fun per pound as any of them.

I hung out with a bunch of Miata owners / amateur racers, on Monday. After much careful listening to their arguments [ :D ], I came away with my initial opinion remaining intact - that being that the Mk1 is probably the best base for a project car. I like the look of the Mk 2 / 2.5 better; but you really have to get to grips with certain rust issues, with that version, before you will be able to 'breathe easy'! However, with it 'runnin' on rails' an' all; and gently dropping it into 'top' [fifth, in my case] at 80mph, with the top down, makes for a fantastic 'grin-factor'!

DG, to feed those [all] 'ears', here is my less than smooth intro to the ownership of my 2005 Miata / MX5 [UK], which I do not regret buying, at all.

Good luck with whatever your choice of 'motoring-fun' turns out to be! I recommend that you try to spend time with different 'Owners Clubs', if you can - half a day with each will tell you most of what you would like to know.

Cheers, og.

PS: Totally 'gapped' my 1991 Suzuki Swift GTi ['GT' after their VW lawsuit!] - that little babe surprised a few Porsches round Toronto! I 'Played-off' three Suzuki dealerships to get my best price [and really 'P'd-off' the low guy! :D]. The Miata has the added 'fun-factor' of the soft-top tho'!

Last edited:
Morgans ended up running on propane over here to get around emissions regs, so a very limited market save for the antiques. Lotus/Caterham Sevens only available as kit cars. Yeah, we suck.

My wife had a jones for a fun car, preferably a convertible under 15k. We looked at various iterations of Mercedes, Audis, even considered a Jag XK8. Ended up with a 20007 Mini Cooper S convertible with 6 speed. We both love putting top down even for short trips, and it is a great car for cruising with the top down in Norcal for 8 months out of the year. The back seat is perfunctory, but a few grocery bags and the dog fit.

This is the original supercharged version with go kart handling, the turbo engine happened in the convertible in 2009 and the car grew slightly. The new Mini convertible is radically different. We are in our 60's and I am 6-3, but we can both get in and out relatively easily, some pure sports cars require too many contortions to enter and exit. Suspension is relatively tight so long trips are the not most comfortable. Fun for dollar quotient is very high and thumbs up are frequent.

Another interesting car is the BMW 128i and 135i, 2008-2013 when they were supplanted by the 2 series. While I have never driven one, supposedly they are the closest thing to the original 2002ti with tight and responsive handling. Convertibles are available.

Another interesting car is the BMW 128i and 135i, 2008-2013 when they were supplanted by the 2 series. While I have never driven one, supposedly they are the closest thing to the original 2002ti with tight and responsive handling. Convertibles are available.

The 135i is a fun car, but it`s only about a hundred pounds lighter than the bigger & more comfortable 335i....BMW really missed the boat on weight reduction.

Back
Top Bottom