Vintage or modern audio? what do you prefer?

I guess you haven't been here long enough to know your picking a forum fight. Not entirely wrong for you to ask, but we're not all grown up yet and can't play together well let alone talk about "All Audio"

Agreed, no such thing as bad question asked with genuine inquiry - just bad responses - but before I get to pious, bloody hell I have written some truly stupid responses I have really regretted afterwards :oops:.

My preference is to collect both, vintage collecting is financially doable - collecting new well that's financially a lot harder in the sand pit I want to play in - but never the less the audio industry keeps moving forward and I like to introduce new as a contrast and balance to my audio experience.

Rob :)

Last edited:
I prefer vintage gear because I can find it at reasonable prices and I enjoy restoring/repairing old pieces. Truth be told, I really can't form an opinion on newer gear as I have no frame of reference. The current gear that is held in high regard is too pricey for me and what is more in my price range doesn't look to be built well. My main rig is only a year younger than I am and is in better working condition than I am. :rflmao:

I've come to the conclusion that I dig it all.There hasn't been a piece of stereo equipment made that didn't catch my eye or ear.I loved vintage for ten years before I actually started to get into newer gear and found I liked newer gear just as much.

I prefer vintage gear because I can find it at reasonable prices and I enjoy restoring/repairing old pieces. Truth be told, I really can't form an opinion on newer gear as I have no frame of reference. The current gear that is held in high regard is too pricey for me and what is more in my price range doesn't look to be built well. My main rig is only a year younger than I am and is in better working condition than I am. :rflmao:

Exactly my perspective as well. I've got several setups some older than I. I'd love to try some newer stuff but even if TOTL old stuff doesn't sound better than what you can buy new for the same price (but I'm guessing it does!) it just looks and feels more quality.

Exception: the 80's Harman/Kardon 700 series stack that I'm listening to right now. It sounds really, really nice but the styling of it doesn't speak to me.

Fixed it. For me it's a hobby and it's the retro thing that attracts me to vintage.

Well you can't please all the people all the time. No invite to Pig-Topia for you!;)

But us pigs will be able to get by...
10986145_745558998887760_209987053_n.jpg

Regards
Mister Pig

I think the question of Vintage vs Modern is an oversimplification of the issue. Not to mention that we are dealing with an ever increasing time-frame here. Someone could have gear from the 50's, 70's, 90's, and today. Who gets to decide what is "vintage" or not? We are at the point now where even digital components can be 20+ years old. Does that mean we can have digital vintage now?

I prefer to judge each component based on it's own merits rather than lumping it into a category simply based on it's age. Most of my components in terms of preamp, amps, and speakers are vintage, while 99% of the time my computer is my source.

Back
Top Bottom