Altec 604-8H-III (GPA) & McIntosh DREAM system!

How big are the speaker cabinets, and what plans were used to build them?

Stunning system congratulations!

awesome system!

do you know what are the differences between the "old 604 to the new one?
because the older one looks much bigger: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Alt...499833?hash=item542de90939:g:WDMAAOSwiCRUlJmz
then the ones Great Plains Audio make.

The new ones are superior.

You can read about it here: http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/downloads/604_8H_III.pdf

IMG_2764.jpg

How big are the speaker cabinets, and what plans were used to build them?

Stunning system congratulations!

Great question!

We used measurements from the Altec Lansing 18, however, Cliff made some improvements with his design. The 604c ran in a 8 cu. ft. cabinet. This version called for a 9 cu. ft. Cliff added additional bracing and a thicker baffle board, which he ran through his simulations. Great Plains Audio (GPA) recommends a 9 cu. ft. Mine are a bit deeper than the stock Altec version. (20-1/2") is the depth, I believe.

Last edited:
Nice retro look ... with modern technology ... but I'm not convinced those speakers are a good match for your equipment ?

We used measurements from the Altec Lansing 18, however, Cliff made some improvements with this design. The 604c ran in a 8 cu. ft. cabinet. This version called for a 9 cu. ft. Cliff added additional bracing and a thicker baffle board, which he calculated many times. Cliff also ran simulations. Great Plains Audio recommends a 9 cu. ft. Mine are a bit deeper than the stock Altec version (20-1/2") is the depth, I believe.[/QUOTE]

Good info. I'm collecting notes for a possible build down the road. It will require a complete redo of my current setup including amp.

Awesome Woofers they look like Tannoy Duel Concentric . I expect they sound better than Tannoy ...

Whoa, this is a top notch setup. Your speaker cabinets are amazing. And I can't think of a better driver choice, 604s are some of the best I've heard.

Amazing system... a dare say you won't find this kind of gear at a garage sale.... simply stunning.

You are a lucky man... enjoy. :)

Back
Top Bottom