best integrated stereo amp for ~500?

ACheapAss

Ive been eyeing a Cambridge Audio topaz SR 20 but it's a little more than I want to spend. Anyone have experience with it, or any other suggestions for something similar? Preferably is has a phono amp built in.

I listen to a lot of records and had an old department store Sony from the 90s that I quite liked, but it's dead. I miss the warmth of the old Sony. I was going to pick up something vintage but I just don't know what I'm doing with that stuff--a fuse could blow and I wouldn't know enough to fix it.

Currently using the pre-outs on a used AVR and a couple cheap monoblocks I found, which sounds pretty ok but frankly I'm in over my head with the external components.

I've no idea what's best, but I like the way Marantz has been sounding lately, and their PM5005 has phono. If it's as good as my friend's SR7008, it's very good, including the phono. The three year warranty is attractive too.

Spend $25 to subscribe to this place.
It supports this site.
Shop in Bartertown. You can't see it until you do. Subscribers are pretty much all friends so we deal straight. Buy a nice vintage Yamaha and have it restored for $475.

Enjoy for years (forever?)

There are many other options too.

Back
Top Bottom