What was the last movie you watched?

Watched the new Independence Day movie last night. I didn't think it was as good as the original. Better effects of course, but the story was to predictable and the acting by the newcomers was weak I thought.

"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"

A great spaghetti western.

Watched this again to finish re-watching the Trilogy! Fantastic score, fantastic cinematography!

As to whether "A Fistful of Dollars," "For a Few Dollars More" and "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" actually are a trilogy is a topic for another time.

Watched a couple Docs on Netflix.

Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine. "A coolly absorbing, deeply unflattering portrait of the late Silicon Valley entrepreneur"

Slingshot: Documentary about Dean Kamen, (inventor of the Segway, and not dead) and his Slingshot water cleaning machine. (The world could use more people like this guy).

Trumbo

Great story adapted from true events about celebrated Hollywood screenplay writer Dalton Trumbo. Set mostly during the House Un-American Activities Comitee era. Very,very well acted.

Trumbo_(2015_film)_poster.jpg

Evidence

I don't know why I watched this in its entirety. This is a "stumble around in the dark whilst successively being picked off by a serial killer" movie. It is camouflaged inside a murder investigation situation. This is what I'd call a modern B techno/slasher movie. Not my cup of tea really. Radha Mitchell is good in this ordinary fare.

evidence-movie-poster-2013-1010755419.jpg

Watched a movie called Green Dragon about Vietnamese refugees placed at camp Pendleton at the end of the Vietnam war feature Patrick Swayze as a gunnery sergeant in charge of the refugees. It was quite a moving portrayal of refugee life.

"Argo" (2012, stars Ben Affleck, Bryan Cranston, John Goodman, Alan Arkin, Victor Garber)

Awesome movie, killer cast, won a ton of awards, including 3 Oscars. Based on a true story.

Independence Day: Resurgence. This is the worst movie I've ever paid money to see. Seriously.

Independence Day: Resurgence. This is the worst movie I've ever paid money to see. Seriously.
That's how I felt about the original movie. I seriously felt like walking out of the theater but stayed in hopes it would redeem itself but it never did. Perhaps if they had gone for campy sci-fi spoof like "Mars Attacks" it could have been worthwhile. As it stands now I still feel that those sumbitches owe me my three hours back.

That's how I felt about the original movie. I seriously felt like walking out of the theater but stayed in hopes it would redeem itself but it never did. Perhaps if they had gone for campy sci-fi spoof like "Mars Attacks" it could have been worthwhile. As it stands now I still feel that those sumbitches owe me my three hours back.

It is so funny that you said that, because that is exactly what I did when it was released. I went to the cinema with friends. This cinema was half a mile from where I lived at the time so we walked there naturally. Within 15 minutes of the movie unfolding I said to my friends "I can't watch any more of this crap. I'll see you at home". They couldn't believe that I'd pay to see a movie and walk out before it was quarter way through. I just couldn't stomach the crapathon.

It really doesn't surprise me that the sequel is dire.

This a a movie that I haven't seen in decades, but I just wanted to mention it here because It is probably one of the funniest movies I've seen in my life. It was originally titled Les Ripoux. A French language film. It was released Australia as My New Partner with English subtitles. I saw it in the cinema. I was laughing so hard that it was hurting. Everybody in the cinema was in hysterics. You could hear that one fellow was laughing so hard that it sounded like it was going to kill him. A very, very funny film.
I looked forward to seeing it again when it was released on VHS. I was incredibly disappointed when I saw the videocassette because this English overdubbed version seemed to be totally devoid of humour. I've often wondered whether there were two versions of it, such was the disparity between my reactions to the original French version with written subtitles and the English language overdub.
I'll admit that this movie had slipped my mind until tonight, and so far I have not been able to find much information on it. If one can find the French version with English subtitles, I thoroughly recommend it.

220px-Les_Ripoux.jpg

my-new-partner-movie-poster-1985-1020233689.jpg

"End Of Watch" (2012, stars Jake Gyllenhall and Michael Pena)

Two young LAPD officers do their best to maintain some semblance of law & order in a tough South Central LA neighborhood.
Well-scripted and acted.

I was incredibly disappointed when I saw the videocassette because this English overdubbed version seemed to be totally devoid of humour.

I had the same reaction to La Cage Aux Folles, a French film remade as The Birdcage, with Robin Williams. The Birdcage was a good remake, as remakes go, but the original French film was a riot. When I played an English overdubbed version, my friends thought they were watching a drama. They still got into it, but it just wasn't as funny, dubbed.

Back
Top Bottom