Ikea Kallax Hack - Mid Century Modern HiFi Console

madlove

Here's a recent project I did, thought some of you might be interested:

a74ab918-5cd2-4c64-b395-5913063bc837_zpsxyu4flun.jpg
72ae2a44-9403-4cbb-9b9a-cc3166d3fc9a_zpszbwmcqus.jpg
IMG_2878_zpsi6sm4ehf.jpg
IMG_9674_zpswncwg1it.jpg

Looks very nice. Did you use Kallax accessories (doors, legs etc) from Ikea or roll your own?

Is that a Giottos Rocket Air Blaster that I see sitting up there by the turntable? I have one of those that I originally bought for dusting the sensor of a DSLR camera. But I find it works pretty well for blowing the dust off of records too.

Looks very nice. Did you use Kallax accessories (doors, legs etc) from Ikea or roll your own?

Is that a Giottos Rocket Air Blaster that I see sitting up there by the turntable? I have one of those that I originally bought for dusting the sensor of a DSLR camera. But I find it works pretty well for blowing the dust off of records too.
Thanks! The doors are from Ikea, the legs are from Lowes, the speaker fabric is from Acoustical Solutions. The stain is from Home Depot, Ebony colored wood stain by Minwax. It matches the dark color of the Kallax very well. I found out about that here. The mounting hardware is available separately from the legs. There's six legs total. I bought four angled mounting plates for the corners to give the mid-century modern look, and two straight mounting plates for the middle. I bought a plywood panel and cut it just shy of the dimensions of the Kallax. The plywood is attached with just three screws, running the length of the board, down the middle. It was secured to the Kallax firmly and I didn't want to over do it with the screws, knowing weight / gravity would be a big help when the records were in the Kallax. The legs and the plywood have two coats of the ebony minwax. The mounting hardware felt securely attached to the plywood. The speaker cubbies are lined with Sonex Audio Tiles. The two wood grain doors are from Panyl. Yes! I love the Rocket. The cans of compressed air were too expensive for me.

Last edited:
That's a sharp-looking unit. Congratulations!

Since you have the speakers in it, and the turntables on it, I'd try 3-4 Sorbothane hemispheres under each speaker - just a thought.

It looks really nice.

Back
Top Bottom