Little story about ONKYO

drumbum

Got stood up last night by prospective renters:mad:! On the way home, stopped in the GW to see whats up. Spotted some new shelf fodder...an Onkyo Tx-nr414 5ch. avr. @ 6.99. Don't need it.....but thought to call a buddy to see if he had tunes in his machine shop yet. Go ahead and grab it he says; can't get any reception with his little portable, so nutt'in but machine noise all day for about 5 employees:thumbsdown:. Get it home and start testing and find no sound output from any source. Powers on OK, display works, relays click.....not a peep:(. I have 16 receivers right now so I can still hook up friend with sound.

FFW to this morn. Figured I give it another shot, ( only glanced at the manual PDF to find the reset pro.). Still no-go. Saw some forums talk about firmware stuff, and stumbled onto the Onkyo help forum and see they have a number listed for support. Though what the hey, maybe I'll talk to a tech and hell have an easy push button fix.... sat on hold for a bit, hung up, called back, had the automated option of leaving a call back number.....so I did.

Half hour later staffer calls, gets some info, told the spiel, just wanted to know if there is an easy fix, if not it goes back, no problem. Well..... they are sending a box to ship it back, fixing and returning at NO COST:beerchug:

Dang, wasn't looking for anything along those lines, but....I'm game if they are.

How do you like them apples? Do you think they care about their name?

Oh I was totally upfront with them. Repeated many times that it came from a thrift store.
Serial number indicated that it was sold from an H.H.Gregg in Georgia originally.
But I have since removed ugly price sticker.

It took Onkyo forever to finally begin to support their A/V receivers. Years. Now, they seem to be doing good with supporting their products. And similar to the OP, I picked up a dead Onkyo TX-NR515, on our local free sale classifieds. It was in pristine shape too, but I couldn't get past the set-up menu, due to a network fault. Looked it up on Onkyo Support, saw a recall, was sent packing materials and a prepaid shipping label, and off it went. Less than 2 weeks later, I had it back, with a new HDMI/Network card. Works fine now.

I have a TX-NR509 that had the no audio bug. It would often kick back in if I switched sources, but then progressed to having to be power toggled, and then nothing worked. I hadn't stayed current with any news but a quick search lead me to the Onkyo Support page. Sent me a box, shipped it in and about a week later I had my receiver back. I've had it a month or so since then and all is good.

Have to say, Onkyo of late has been super friendly on support and service. And I love it when a company steps up that aspect. Customer service in this price range is lacking. I am to the point where I recommend Onkyo for the price, due to their new attitude on service and support of their products.

Thats amazing! Cool for you.

I still miss my lightning-murdered TX-DS989 Onkyo. Flagship that year (1999) with 130 wpc X7. Just beastly.

I once bought a Sony 5.1 something or other for 97 bucks, open box deal, no remote, from HH Gregg. Used it a few months, lightning also claimed it. Put it aside, filed insurance, got list price, 300 bucks. Whoopie!

But it gets better....

Friend said, "Doesn't HH Gregg support their stuff for 1 year??"

Yep. They repaired it. So I bought a receiver, and it MADE me 200 bucks. Gave it to a friend to pass on the goodwill.

Glad you got a great deal. I picked up an Onkyo Integra TX-870 for $25 in Craigslist, with blown outputs. It's now repaired and sounding fantastic. This was the second from the TOTL in the 1990's and the last great receivers they made before going downhill. By that I mean that all the receivers after this had driver IC's instead of discrete output stages. Also this is the last series they made that had a remove-able bottom panel, making it a heck of a lot easier to service.

Similar experience with Canton. Bought a motorboating powered sub 2nd hand. Called them and asked for a service manual to do a recap. They said they don't allow that, which is why I noticed later the entire amp board is covered in rubber cement. Ended up sending me an upgraded plate amp free of charge, even after I mentioned I was not the original owner. Bad part is, amp worked great, woofer went next and because of the German weird sizes (7 1/8" woofer) I cannot find a replacement.

Member Greatbear had some problems with his new Oink-yo and called CS...they had him send it in for a free re-do with free return shipping! Yes, it's good when a company does the right thing.

Note to self: Look for some broken Onkyos at the thrift store. :thumbsup:

Tonight at the thrift I saw a TX-NR609 7.2 with a non-clicking relay, manufactured in 2011. So, about that no questions asked warranty they've recently implemented on models of that era.... :idea:

Go for it! I was given my Onkyo for free. Checked it's serial number at Onkyo, saw the recall, sent it in, and got it fixed.

Now, Onkyo does ask some details about the receiver, when setting up the repair. Date and place of purchase. Stuff like that. But, you can still get it fixed. Not like it was stolen.

Back
Top Bottom