Looking for the most reliable outboard motor in the 40-50hp range

You are assuming that the fuel system is seeing the "pulses" from the low pressure engine pump, but it's not really. All mechanical diaphragm fuel pumps are "intermittent" by definition. They suck, then push... Fuel sensing systems have lived with this for ever ...

A good flow meter will average instantaneous flow over 1 or 2 seconds before offering you a read-out of what's going on. Only cheap badly designed ones will give jumpy instant readings all the time... The very best ones allow you to select the averaging period up to an hour. I like to use 10~12 seconds as an averaging period to get smooth meaningful flow numbers :)

I'm going to get one of these to play with: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Flow-Co...052943?hash=item33ae90bbcf:g:bEUAAOSwHPlWc9o5

I'll splice it into the flexible fuel line going to the motor from the on-board systems. If it starts to leak, or give me any trouble, I'll just pull that line off and put a straight hose on. The flex line is just outboard fuel hose with quick connects at both ends. Connect at the fuel/water separator, 6" of 3/8" EPA hose, this sensor, and 3' of EPA/USCG hose to the motor fuel connection. All new and made up. Low cost and we'll see if it will hold up to fuel/oil or not ... Cheap enough.

That engine salvage shop in Fresno (listed in a post a few back above) has that sun bleached 50HP Suzy cheap. It needs a few parts, but maybe less than your old one? Seeing as your old one will not get you more power; push comes to shove, I could go get it, bring it home and crate it up for proper shipment and freight it up to you. Good core to start with :)

Last edited:
[QUOTE="BrocLuno, post: 9800196, member: 24030]

That engine salvage shop in Fresno (listed in a post a few back above) has that sun bleached 50HP Suzy cheap. It needs a few parts, but maybe less than your old one? Seeing as your old one will not get you more power; push comes to shove, I could go get it, bring it home and crate it up for proper shipment and freight it up to you. Good core to start with :)[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the offer but I think I would rather look locally. There could be some conflicts in getting some outboards to fit clearance wise in the well.

Hang in there .You will find a goodie sooner or later.Heres a wild thought,there was a yanmar diesel outboard for sale on the big island {Vancouver island}.I just bought a 1973 6hp Johnson for a kicker today.Northern Ontario freshwater beauty for 300.One pull start.

I have an old (10 years) Garmin GPS chart plotter and depth finder. The GPS part has not been very reliable the past few years but I have a backup chart plotter app on my android which works excellent.

Hang in there .You will find a goodie sooner or later.Heres a wild thought,there was a yanmar diesel outboard for sale on the big island {Vancouver island}.I just bought a 1973 6hp Johnson for a kicker today.Northern Ontario freshwater beauty for 300.One pull start.
I'd love to try out one of the diesel outboards! They are rare in the states due to emissions regulations as I understand it..

This has not much to do with what you are searching for, but I thought you might find it interesting.

Enjoy! :D

Hey alobar! Wish I had of had my camera yesterday as I seen a boat almost exactly like yours except it had a conventional transom with twim 50hp suzzys.Very sharp looking.This weekend my town plays host to about a dozen of the big fast 1500 to 3000hp go fast boats.I went down and took some pics ,boy are they beautiful rigs.Its a can/am poker run tour and were one of the stops this year.Im tempted to drop a c note for a ride on sunday as that would be cool.Us northern folks don't see these types of boats very often unlike people in flordia or cal.

Hey alobar! Wish I had of had my camera yesterday as I seen a boat almost exactly like yours except it had a conventional transom with twim 50hp suzzys.Very sharp looking.This weekend my town plays host to about a dozen of the big fast 1500 to 3000hp go fast boats.I went down and took some pics ,boy are they beautiful rigs.Its a can/am poker run tour and were one of the stops this year.Im tempted to drop a c note for a ride on sunday as that would be cool.Us northern folks don't see these types of boats very often unlike people in flordia or cal.
I wonder if what you saw was a Tolman Skiff. The company sells stitch and glue plans from Anchorage AK and there is a big following up there. They are very similar to the Bartender except for the transom. Lots of flair to the sides, dory style which is what I look for in a seaworthy boat.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tol...Ti66rOAhVdImMKHd21Dk8QsAQIHQ&biw=1665&bih=906

3000 hp! that would be a thrill for sure...

Yes similar to them.You don't see them up here in northern Ontario very often.Sorry actually it was soo Michigan I saw it and I don't know if he crossed the border or not.I was stocking up on your cheap American gas,lol.quick pic of go fast boat from today.

Last edited:
One of those will suck up your C Note in fuel pretty quick.
Im tempted to drop a c note for a ride on sunday as that would be cool.Us northern folks don't see these types of boats very often unlike people in flordia or cal.

Real quick.Its a charity thing,60 for kids 100 for adults for a nice ride.Ive heard a couple of them are 2.5 mill plus.For that kind of coin where are the rod holders,lol.

Real quick.Its a charity thing,60 for kids 100 for adults for a nice ride.Ive heard a couple of them are 2.5 mill plus.For that kind of coin where are the rod holders,lol.
They have run that series of Poker Runs here on Lake Nipissing in the past,though it's been awhile

I have a 40hp Merc. 4 cyl. 2 stroke bought new in 95 never had problems.
Idles fine with good gas mileage. I like it because I can troll with it when fishing.

Best- Boozehound

Well, the Honda BF50 is sold to a buddy in town for his 16' Aluminum fishing boat. It'll be plenty for him. I now have a 70HP 3-cylinder OMC "looper" hanging from the Walnut tree getting tidied up with good used eBay parts like electrical cables, etc. Coming right along. Want to have sea trials done by mid-Sept. Grand-baby coming in Oct and she's nearing 8, so time for her to Skipper Jr at the controls :D

The halibut have moved this far up the channel and I am stuck in the middle of building projects that have to be done before the snow flies and don't have time to get the boat out.. :(

Back
Top Bottom