Best power amp for under $250 used?

TellMeWhy

Top choices, vintage or otherwise, excelling at low volume clarity and soundstage and able to drive current demanding relatively inefficient speakers (Kef 103.2 Reference, 8 ohm, 86 dB/1m). 60 watts and above preferred. Am planning to use a recapped Marantz 2230 as a pre. Class A? Mosfet? Thanks guys...

A lot will depend on avaliability ....I would go vintage as for the budget you have in mind new will be expensive for quality. My recommendadtion a Rotel RB 850 .Why? It has served me well for 30 years plus has a great sound and enough power......however I use a pair bridged in mono as mono blocks and they sound great and drive anything as they have a power of around 200 W RMS per channel. They are well built and very reliable , they can be picked up for around 100 each if you look carefully, the components are not custom but are very good quality.
Yep I was considering the Rotel RB amps. Is it always better to have two smaller amps wired as mono? It is an issue with older amps to get two with consecutive serials (ie from the same source), or is mix and match generally OK?

Bridged amps are a lesser amp than the stereo version or mono amplifiers. The bridging cuts the input impedance in half, doubles the total harmonic distortion and cuts the damping factor in half. Additionally, the amp now wants to see an 8Ω load as each side of the stereo amp sees half the speaker impedance. Using a stereo amp bridged is not the best way to go. Additionally, the amplifier is now a floating ground unit and there is not a common ground between the two channels. Making use of 3-wire headphones and some common ground metering devices unusable.

With power available today it is best to get the power you need in the amps you want without bridging.

It's difficult to give advice based on someone looking for something for a specific price. I really love my Yamaha P2200 / P2201 amps (~230wpc @ 8Ohms. P2200 has meters, P2201 doesn't, but the two are otherwise identical). I have 4 of them now, and don't recall paying more than $200 for any of them. I didn't go out on a quest to find them though, I just waited and snatched them up on Craigslist as I've seen them over the years. You end up paying a lot more if you go out looking for a specific amp rather than being patient and letting one find you.

I also would look at the Yamaha Pro Series amps.

I had one for years. Looked a little beat up but it played great.

I too vote for Hafler. Don't know anything about 9300's but I used a DH220 for a few years. Cheap like borscht, easy to work on and very nice sound, at least in my rig.

I got a H/K Citation 16 for $180 (that includes the cost of fixing the few problems it had). Awesome amp, definitely worth grabbing, but I understand mine was relatively cheap.
Inkel MD2200 / Sherwood S-6040CP / LXI AM 4222 (same amp, different names) is very good and usually quite cheap.
Sanyo Plus series power amps - also good and usually quite cheap. In Germany there are also Siemens clones of Sanyo Plus.
I also liked NAD 2100, but this one is quite easy to blow (I didn't, but the guy I sold it to did).
Philips 22AH309 is very nice, but a bit less power (2x55W).

I did use 2 stereo power amps as mono blocks, but without bridging, I only used one channel from each amp. I'd rather have less clean and safe power than more power and blown outputs.

For the specified budget, some nice SS vintage units:
Yamaha M-4 - 120 wpc
Yamaha MX-2 - 150 wpc
Hafler DH-220 - 115 wpc
Hafler XL-280 - 145 wpc
Hafler 9300 - 150 wpc
Acurus A150 (no speaker protection relays) - 150 wpc
Parasound HCA-1200 - 205 wpc

For more SS power, the Yamaha vintage pro amps are solid, but a P2200 is most likely going to cost more than the OP's budget. Another option is a late model used SS pro amp like a Crown XLS-1500. They are powerful (300 wpc), sound nice and are very flexible.

I've been using the Crown D150A-II and DC300A-II for decades with great results. More recently (ten-years?) I've been using Crown PS-200 and PS-400 amps in their places and I like the updates and improvements they offer. I have probably six PS-200 and three PS-400 amps and have never paid over $200 for any of them. Not to say I'd ever even slightly consider selling any of them for that little! I'd value the PS-400 at closer to $400, if not more, based on the quality of their build and their sound. Damn near indestructible, too, if you ask me!

536476-crown_ps400_amp.jpg

For the specified budget, some nice SS vintage units:
Yamaha M-4 - 120 wpc
Yamaha MX-2 - 150 wpc
Hafler DH-220 - 115 wpc
Hafler XL-280 - 145 wpc
Hafler 9300 - 150 wpc
Acurus A150 (no speaker protection relays) - 150 wpc
Parasound HCA-1200 - 205 wpc

For more SS power, the Yamaha vintage pro amps are solid, but a P2200 is most likely going to cost more than the OP's budget. Another option is a late model used SS pro amp like a Crown XLS-1500. They are powerful (300 wpc), sound nice and are very flexible.

+3
Yamaha MX-2, very good, not on everyone's want list, makes it a great value. Modern, quality build, should be good to go without servicing needs (if it was cared for)
Hafler XL-280. Great series, nice build, sounds good.
Hafler 9300. Still my favorite choice. Reliable, exc sound Q, good looking.

For an amp with 60W rated average power at spec'ed distortion, etc. your upper limit average power listening level needs to be about 15db crest factor below the rated level to stay clean on peaks. That means 1.875W average power, so your speakers would be only averaging maybe 89dB with clean amp peaks to about 104dB... (your KEFs have a maximum output of 106dB peaks).

Does that suggest the "and above" part of "60 watts and above preferred" might be more than you could cleanly or safely use?

I dunno 'bout being the "best",,,but definitely good bang for the buck....

More potential candidates:
Adcom GFA-535 & GFA-545 (bipolar)
Adcom GFA-5200/GFA-5300/GFA-5400 (mosfet)
Kenwood Basic M1/M1A/M1D
NAD 2100/2400/2600

FWIW

Bret P.

Seriously, look into the Kenwood Basic M1

Kenwood's Sigma Drive has been widely acclaimed as an effective means of providing optimum speaker control and an extremely high damping factor right up to the speaker input terminals. In addition to the normal speaker leads, a special "Sigma" connection feeds distortion products caused in the speaker wires and in the speakers themselves back into the amplifier's NFB loop for effective compensation. The result is a total control over the speaker's behavior, with optimum damping of unwanted speaker movement. Sigma Drive is also employed between the pre-amp and power-amp stages where it compensates for any signal loss in the interconnection and permits low impedance drive throughout the frequency range

M1 Specs:

Unprecedented dynamic headroom, vanishing distortion and precision control of speaker cone excursion. These are some of the rewards of the new technology to be found in the Basic M1.

A startlingly simple design concept translates into a much sought after goal of higher power handling ability combined with low distortion and outstanding tonal quality. A patented Kenwood technology, the DLD power circuit brings together the best features of a top quality medium power amplifier and a high power amplifier, totally sidetracking their disadvantages. Thus, you can get the enormous power needed to amplify the most dynamic music signal peaks.

Simultaneously, you can hear the kind of smooth, evenly balanced tonal quality extending throughout the audible range you would normally expect only from a first rate medium power amplifier. There are no size, weight, heat or thermal instability problems

Dynamic peaks are handled easily and are so clearly perceptible they will satisfy the most hypercritical listener.

Highly reactive speaker loads and crest value music signals that exceed rated output are taken fully in stride by the Basic M1. This amplifier can comfortably handle the highest dynamic peaks, even at rated listening levels, and can operate fully with speaker impedances that fall as low as 2 ohms.

The amplifier is designed for a frequency response accurate to within +-3dB from 1 Hz to 300kHz, ensuring that all signals falling within the audible range are reproduced perfectly.

Specifications
Power output: 105 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 1Hz to 300kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.005%

Damping factor: 1000

Input sensitivity: 1V

Signal to noise ratio: 120dB

Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω

Dimensions: 440 x 112 x 324mm

Weight: 9.1kg

Those are very impressive specs for a "budget" amp

Last edited:
Keep an eye out for BGW, Ashly and Soundcraftsmen. I've seen them all under your budget. Just gotta be patient.

You will not get class A for under 250 - you can forget that.

be surprise what can find local at any prices. but, i personally wouldn't shoot for class a anymore since i see them as pretty much space heaters nowadays but, that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom