MORE THAN IMPRESSED

kenyon71

PIONERD
Hello everyone, hope all is good with everyone. I have had my 1080 for a few weeks now, and man oh man. I was leary of streching her leg in the begining but have since thrown caution to the wind. I have on several occasions had the watt meters bouncing off 240 to the likes of Van Halen, Boston, and even a little Metallica for good measure. Oh by the way when people talk about family pictures falling off the walls.......its true. This may seem like childs play to some of you that have the more powerful pioneer amps, but this is my first with some real horsepower. I do have a real question that I cannot find any info on. The Pioneer CB 510 cabinet , will the 1080 fit width wise or is it more the 780 size. If the 510 wont work for the 1080 is there a similar cabinet that will. Thanks everyone for letting me share.

I have a wife and two daughters. None like loud music. It's rare for me to be home alone. When I am I like cranking Boston through my Boston speakers :). I do know what you mean about stuff falling off the walls. I'll be damned if I add the part about the music being as loud as a rock concert though!

:banana:The last rock concert i went to was Tom Petty. It was a fairly mellow concert, Kiss on the other hand was not. My ears were ringing the rest of the night after a full concert with Kiss. I would guess if I were to listen at home at what i consider full volume for the same amount of time as a concert my ears would be doing some ringing. I would say the 1080, while not as loud as a rock concert its loud enough, wait did i just say loud enough. NEVER TO LOUD. One the other hand I dont just like the music loud, I am truly impressed with the sight, sound, and feel that the 1080 gives pounding through my JBL's.:rockon:

Probably best not to crank on it too aggressively. If the Darlington outputs go out OEM replacements are difficult to source and the Chinese fakes last about as long as it takes a tech to install them. Sorry, can't pitch in on your cabinet question.

There are work-a-rounds but it's a lot of work to retro fit. Best to heed the above advice. Alought it wouldn't be a bad idea to repaste the mounted transistors.

thank you all for your feedback. In about a month the 1080 will go in for complete restoration. I didnt know that the 1080 had darlingtons. I knew the 780 did, are they similar by design? When i had the lid off i didnt see anything that looked like the 780 darlingtons.

Kenyon, how bout them ducks man, wish they would fly south to Texas and tangle with the Horns. What are you pushin with that 1080, I have the 1080 and 1050, the 80 is pushin LaScala's, you owe it to yourself to hear that combo, will blow your mind...Roost

I have never heard any of the "xx80" series but all of "xx50" series and guess a lot of people say it is a bit more refined? Some day would love to do a head to head comparo just to see what's up there. Enjoy!

I had an unrestored 950 and 980 at the same time a couple of years ago when I was doing a lot of buying/selling. To me the 980 had a bit more detail especially in the mids and highs. That said it's not really a fair comparison when both units were unrestored and I'm sure had their unique internal faults and possibly prior repairs. Many feel the x5x series was the best sounding of Pioneers 70's silver face receivers. At one time or another I have had them all except for the 1050 and 1250. My favorites of the 70's Pioneer receivers: drum roll please: QX-949 4ch and the SX-737.

Kenyon, that 1080 should sound amazing with a restoration. I wouldn't worry too much about the Darlingtons. Make sure that with the restoration that the tech applies new paste to the Darlingtons and maybe if there's room have the tech add more heat sink to help with cooling. Also best to have the receiver in a well vented area and certainly don't stack other components on it. Look forward to your assessment after the restoration.

Back
Top Bottom