New Denon 920W AVR Set-Up (Noise)!

Ken Hearrean

After the set-up of a new 920W and the room calibration feature; does anyone know why there would be speaker static (a constant low popping noise) in each speaker (center, left & right mains & rear surrounds)? You can over-shadow it by in increasing the volume of course, but that's ridiculous to have to do that! This popping noise is not related to rhythm, tempo or anything like that; it's just a constant low-level popping noise. I talked locally to a HT Tech & he suggested it could likely be related to the different speaker levels adjusted during the auto-calibration, but that just doesn't sound right to me. I should add that I did not have this noise with my Pioneer Elite VSX-90 this replaced. Any suggestions?

Ken

Is there a 'popping noise' in stereo mode?
If yes, how about through headphones?

Does this 'popping' noise occur regardless of the surround mode (Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS, etc)?

Have you tried powering the AVR from an AC receptacle on a different circuit?

You stated it was 'new' how about a "warranty repair"

Actually no, I haven't tried those things suggested & I've only tried it on DD. I do have the new AVR plugged into my Monster Line Conditioner just as I did the Pioneer it replaced. That's why I'm puzzled since I did not have this issue with the Pioneer. I do realize the unit is new (actually only 1 week), so if it's a possible defect, I could more than likely return to Best Buy for an exchange. Can you give me any tips for determining if it's defective? You indicated trying it on different surround modes; what will that tell us as to whether it's defective or not?

Thanks,
Ken

I would do a factory reset and completely re-run the setup.

If it still does it then I'd be inclined to return it.

After the set-up of a new 920W and the room calibration feature; does anyone know why there would be speaker static (a constant low popping noise) in each speaker (center, left & right mains & rear surrounds)? You can over-shadow it by in increasing the volume of course, but that's ridiculous to have to do that! This popping noise is not related to rhythm, tempo or anything like that; it's just a constant low-level popping noise. I talked locally to a HT Tech & he suggested it could likely be related to the different speaker levels adjusted during the auto-calibration, but that just doesn't sound right to me. I should add that I did not have this noise with my Pioneer Elite VSX-90 this replaced. Any suggestions?

Ken
Have you by chance tried to disconnect all sources and listen for the pops? How about removing it from the conditioner?

Well, I did return the 920 & exchanged for another. Brought it home, went through the entire set-up & have the exact same problem! I contacted level 2 techs at Denon, & they had me try several things & could not resolve the issue nor have any further advice. Actually the only thing I have not done is to remove the conditioner, but I did not have this issue with the Pioneer, so I cannot imagine it being related to the conditioner. But I will try it to see. Again, the crackling noise is there even when the volume of the source is turned all the way down.

Ken

Volume of the source?

Not quite sure what you are asking since the popping noise has nothing to do with the volume of any of the sources as indicated above. The popping/cracking is there in all speakers even if the volume of the source is turned all the way down. One of the several things the Denon Tech took me through was disconnecting all speakers except the right front mains & the popping was still there in that speaker. About the only thing he didn't have me do was to remove the line conditioner, as suggested by Duane above. I still have to do that & will do so sometime this morning & report back here.

Thanks,
Ken

When you mentioned volume of the source I was seeking clarification between source, such as a Blu ray player or whatever, vs. the receiver.

Regardless of the source, BD Player, SAT or Roku 4, the same popping exists even at 0 volume. Hope that helps..

Thanks,
Ken

I just skimmed through the other posts so some of this may be duplicated.

1. Unplug all of the inputs. All of them. Do this even if you don't think it's necessary.

2. Try another 120v circuit in the house - run an extension cord.

3. What else is on that circuit? Fridge, dimmers, fluorescent lamps, fans? Turn all of that stuff off or unplug it.

4. Of course, eliminate the Monster thing as the source of the problem.

I'm assuming that this is some kind of power supply issue. Don't know, of course, but that's a good place to start now that you're on the second avr.

Murray

Last edited:
I just skimmed through the other posts so some of this may be duplicated.

1. Unplug all of the inputs. All of them. Do this even if you don't think it's necessary.

2. Try another 120v circuit in the house - run an extension cord.

3. What else is on that circuit? Fridge, dimmers, fluorescent lamps, fans? Turn all of that stuff off or unplug it.

4. Of course, eliminate the Monster thing as the source of the problem.

I assuming that this is some kind of power supply issue. Don't know, of course, but that's a good place to start now that you're on the second avr.

Murray

Thanks, Murray. I'll give all that a try later this afternoon & let you know.

Ken

All of this is a process of elimination. Like we mentioned, disconnect all sources, then check for the popping. If still present, unplug it from the conditioner and then plug the receiver into the same outlet that the conditioner used. If still there, take the receiver, and plug it into an outlet that's not on the same house circuit you're using for the surround system. A lot of work, we know.

By chance, do you still have the Pioneer unit?

All of this is a process of elimination. Like we mentioned, disconnect all sources, then check for the popping. If still present, unplug it from the conditioner and then plug the receiver into the same outlet that the conditioner used. If still there, take the receiver, and plug it into an outlet that's not on the same house circuit you're using for the surround system. A lot of work, we know.

Unfortunately no. Sold it to someone who wanted it just for a surround music system. Anyway, I will likely have to wait until sometime tomorrow to try all the things you & others have mentioned. My wife had the nerve to ask me to do honey-do's that's taking most of the day so far! But I will post back as soon as I have some results.
Thanks for all the help,

Ken

Ok, here's what I have been able to do so far. I disconnected all HDMI In's (except SAT) from the back of the Denon. (I obviously couldn't have disconnected the SAT or I wouldn't have had a source to see/hear anything). The crackling still existed! I again checked each different source, which is plugged into the Denon (one at a time) via HDMI & have the crackling on each source, i.e, BD Player, Streamer, SAT. After that, I plugged all my HDMI inputs back into the Denon & then powered off everything (except the Denon) & still had the crackling noise! I even waited several hours with only the Denon on & the crackling continued. The only thing(s) I have left to do is to move the Monster Line Conditioner to a different circuit and/or to take it out of the equation altogether. In my case, moving it is not an easy task because (believe it or not), the closest outlet that's on a different circuit is 40 ft away, so I not only need an unusually long cord, but a 3-pronged as well. So sometime this morning, I'll at least remove the conditioner & try to get a surge protector/cord that will accommodate all the plugs. At least that way, I will have the same exact hook-up minus the conditioner. After these last (2) things, I'll report back.

Ken

Last edited:
Well.....the very last thing that could have possibly been tried that had been suggested by you folks, was the culprit! I totally removed the Monster surge protector from the loop, re-connected everything to a plain surge protector & sweet silence; problem solved! I assume that somehow after unhooking when I removed the previous AVR & re-installing the new Denon, the power conditioner failed!..."Occam's Razor" at it's best! Since I prefer to have a line conditioner in my system, mainly for protection, but also to some extent, to help clean-up the 110 line, can anyone suggest one that's fairly inexpensive yet reliable? I certainly would rather avoid one as expensive as this one, which cost me in excess of $500.
BTW, my thanks to everyone who posted a possible solution & particulary "Standuffer," Duane & Murray. :)

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:
That's great Ken. For less than $500, you should be able to pick up a good conditioner. Furman conditioners are very good, but somewhat pricey. Another is Panamax. I have a couple of conditioners, the latest being the Furman PST-6 (There's also a PST-8). Not too expensive.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/379125-REG/Furman_PST_6_PST_6_Power_Station.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/379128-REG/Furman_PST_8_PST_8_Power_Station.html

I was looking at some of the newer Panamax units, but ended up going with the Furman about a year ago. I also have a 25+ year old Panamax 1000.

Do you have a Best Buy close to you? They might have the Panamax locally to try out.

Occam's Razor, indeed. Glad you got it figured out.

Oh, years ago, I bought one of those 12 gauge 50' extension cords. It's pretty handy around the house.

Murray

Back
Top Bottom