IMF owners thread!

Ok well on the bench just now it decided to give me a DCR of around 42 ohms but still wasn't testing continuous. Curious, I hooked some speaker wires up to it directly at a low volume, lo and behold it still works! Color me baffled. I will test the other to verify they are the same, at least, and maybe this has been a false alarm.

That'd be good! That'll put some money in your jeans for other things :)

I bought a pair of IMF TLS 50 IIa last week. Beautiful cabinets, original drivers.
Turns out crossover is partly burned and one supert tweeter is not working.

My croosover is similar to the one published here some pages back:

l_1447775595.jpg

My crossover is recaped, but former owner has stuck to original values. I have also measured the inductors:

Capacitors:
C1= 100uf
C2= 40uf
C3= 6uf
C4 = 12uf
C5= 6uf
C6= 6uf
C7= 0.2uf
C?= 12uf

Inductors:
L1 brown dot = 2,75mH
L2 no dot = 0,8mH
L3 yellow dot = 0,5mH
L4 blue dot = 0,42mH
L5 white dot = 0,24mH

Resistors:
6R8
3R0
3R0
15R
33R

Last edited:
I bought a pair of IMF TLS 50 IIa last week. Beautiful cabinets, original drivers.

l_1447775595.jpg

My crossover is recaped, but former owner has stuck to original values. I have also measured the inductors:

Capacitors:
C1= 100uf
C2= 40uf
C3= 6uf
C4 = 12uf
C5= 6uf
C6= 6uf
C7= 0.2uf
C?= 12uf

Inductors:
L1 brown dot = 2,75mH
L2 no dot = 0,8mH
L3 yellow dot = 0,5mH
L4 blue dot = 0,42mH
L5 white dot = 0,24mH

Resistors:
6R8
3R0
3R0
15R
33R

Wow, nice work! Thank you for posting this information :)

DSC_0860.JPG
Crossover in one of the speakers.
Resistor and capacitor in the left corner was toast, as was the 40uf capacitor in the middle and one of the two 6uf on the right side.

Has anyone ever rebuilt the crossovers using a nice poly cap like a Sonicap or a ClarityCap, or even a Dayton or Solen? I'm a little apprehensive of replacing electrolytics with electrolytics, especially after A/B'ing some of my own speakers and finding new electrolytics to be inferior to the Dayton / ClarityCap builds (I haven't tried Solen or Sonicap).

Hi, I put film cap in my MkIII and very satified with the result I have obtained from it, but here in the forum many Akers will tell you to keep your X-over with the electrolytics type to keep the oiginal sound of your IMF. I know my Prof.sound better now,so that's m'y expérience, but be prepare to spend more money.

Well I am soon adding another member to my IMF collection. I still am not done with the TLS 80's I have another thread about and just got
a pair of Compact Monitor 2's off eBay for 250 shipped !

Not sure what the going price is but these looked pretty nice, but no grill's. Maybe someday I'll fins a set.

Nashou

Hi, great Nashou it's good to add small IMF for smaller room, all good. For the price They can surely compete and be better than other brand at this price range.

View attachment 792817
A close relative is playing in the right channel :)
This is a cute IMf. Thanks for the crossover values, this has been a great help. Most of my caps is now recapped with film caps.

On your tweeters there is som kind of anti diffraction stuff in a square round the dome, what kind of material is this? My speakers had the tweeters and the super tweeters replaced by former owner back in the nineties, along with a very bad recapping of the crossovers. It would be nice, if I could reestablish this diffraction thing to.

The foam in the ports, someone told me, is filter foam, it's all gone in my speakers. But luckily it seems to be available on the Internet. Hope I can find something that is close to the original foam, anybody who has tried to replaced this?

Last edited:
BoPtiljudrop sorry for late reply , - the diffraction stuff is some kind of stiff/dense foam (but not as dense/heavy as the wooly stuff on a LS3/5 - and not as soft as the foam insisde your TLS50)

The square is 55x55mm (outer dim.) - 7 mm thick and sticks 4 mm out from the front.

I still have three of the foam squares in the ports available, but when I touch them they just disintegrate into dust.
They are very light and made of some "medium" stiff foam (not dense, "airy") - yes some kind of "filter" foam .
A link to this kind of foam on the internet would be nice.

l_1447775595.jpg

Capacitors:
C1= 100uf
C2= 40uf
C3= 6uf
C4 = 12uf
C5= 6uf
C6= 6uf
C7= 0.2uf
C?= 12uf

Inductors:
L1 brown dot = 2,75mH
L2 no dot = 0,8mH
L3 yellow dot = 0,5mH
L4 blue dot = 0,42mH
L5 white dot = 0,24mH

Resistors:
6R8
3R0
3R0
15R
33R

My crossovers are now completely recapped.
One of my supertweeters was shot so I desided to take out the crossover parts (L5, C7) for both supertweeters and just play with the TLS50 as a three-way speaker.
Just finished and they are now both playing :)

DSC_0298.JPG

My crossovers are now completely recapped.
One of my supertweeters was shot so I desided to take out the crossover parts (L5, C7) for both supertweeters and just play with the TLS50 as a three-way speaker.
Just finished and they are now both playing :)

View attachment 797273
Congrats! Looks good, and a nice Sansui amp. Hopefully they sound great to?
Filter foam:
http://www.dafa.dk/produkter/industri/products/ppi-filterskum A Danish company that I probably will try to contact.

Thanks Boptiljudrop, the Sansui amp is one of my recapped AU-555A - maybe a little bit low wattage for the TLS50's, but very good sound.
I have two AU-555A’s, one recapped with Nichicon’s and one recapped with Elna Silmic II – beautiful amps!

Yes, I think the TLS50's sounds good, - I was skeptical because former owner described them as very forward/“hot” in the top. As they stand today, recapped with LL Alcap’s and changed a resistor I would not describe them as forward/hot. A little recessed/polite in the midrange maybe, but midrange drivers probably need a refoam. Bass is very good and paying loud is dangerous, you want more :)

Having heard one of the speakers with a functional Super tweeter, I suspect they will add some air/ambience/depth to the sound.

I am adding some pictures of the original port foam. The foam is 20mm thick, and seeing the pictures from your link I suspect the foam to be 15 or 20 PPI.

DSC_0305.JPG DSC_0306.JPG

Last edited:
Ok Pilsern, now it really seems like this nice speakers has been well documented. So great you brought crossover specs and everything in.
Thanks to this, my tls50's are now functional and playing, but with at handful of different film caps including some of the not to bad measuring old Alcaps. I must complete the recap, of course, but right now, I'm just happy they are working.
Not shure they are keepers, but I must admit, they are great in many ways, awesome bass, first of all. And my st70 clone handles them quite well.

Back
Top Bottom