Infinity Reference 2000.3

sorenj07

I have a pair of these that I use with a mid- to late-90's Sony receiver, wattage unknown. They're on a pair of 29"-tall stools that I adjusted to be perfectly flat. It's funny, they sound pretty good and I can feel the bass coming up from the hardwood floors as if the stools coupled to the floor make a bigger diaphragm. Anyway, I was just wondering where these speakers stood in the grand scheme of quality, and if anyone else had them or liked them. :banana:

I don't mean to be negative but since you ask, I had a pair of the 2000.5. They were equal to the Polk RT10 in size and price. I still have the Polks. To my ear the Polks were superior in every way. The Infinities were not terrible but were very uninvolving.

cubdog

Sorenj07,
Hmmmm, I am unfamiliar with these. What year were they made? Do you have any more information about them?
Vito

My dad says they were bought about five years ago. I have the serial numbers as well: J322N 011733-A and J322N 011733-B (it seems they were made as pairs). There's another number right next to the 2000.3 marking, it's 331048. They are also rated at 15-125 watts. I can post pictures later, with and without the grills.

These are the specs I pulled from the Infinity website. No picture came up with them.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
Frequency Response: 40Hz- 20kHz
Sensitivity: 89dB (2.83 volts/1 meter)
Impedance: 8 ohms
Output Level: MAX - 108dB spl
Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 15 - 125 watts
Woofer: 6.5" (160mm) co-injected
Tweeter: 1" (25mm) neodymium magnet soft dome
Crossover Frequency(ies): 3.2kHz

Extra specs from an Ebay auction:
Connectors: Gold Plated Drilled Shaft with Tightening Knob

Height: 15 1/2"

Width: 7 1/2"

Depth: 10"

Weight: 30Lbs. combined, 15 Lbs/ea.

User reviews from http://ecoustics.audioreview.com/ca...kers/infinity-systems/PRD_119668_1594crx.aspx
are interesting. Note one review proposing MODIFICATIONS :scratch2: .

Pic from Ebay Auction. Just FYI purposes.

Attachments

• Infinity 2000.3.JPG
    Infinity 2000.3.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 113
Yup, that's what they look like. My grills are a bit denser than these, you can't really see through them but it's the same idea. Thanks for the info, I had no clue about most of that stuff! How much are the infinitys going for on the auction? I saw one for $50 the pair..

After reading the reviews, people alternately love them or hate the lack of bass/mids/highs. I really think that depends on the room. Mine is a little 13x17 or so, with old hardwood floors that resonate really nicely with bass. On my Sony STR-D350Z and Playstation 1, everything from jazz to progressive house to russian choral masterpieces sounds great and really fills the room.

sorenj07,
Kewl Deal. It sounds like a nice setup. Yep, that is true about most reviews, everyone has different tastes and like different things. The bottom line is that for you and with your setup, they sound as though they really do sound great.
Vito

Sorenj07,

I got to that auction from Google. I was just looking for the picture and I didn't really pay attention to the price. Could have been an old auction. Price? :dunno:

And like Vito said, if those speaks sound good to you in your setup, then that's all that matters.

There's always a better speaker system out there to be had. Just a matter of time before we all fall into the next "big one".

Enjoy.

Bringing an old thread back since I didn't want to start another one. I just got a pair of these FREE from my brother who wasn't using them.
Only played them for a bit but so far I like what I hear. Some really nice detail in the music which is what I like to hear.
Bass instruments sound nice and clear with real distinguishable notes coming at me, not muddy at all.
Being a musician I really dislike when music sounds masked. I like to hear it as if I was playing the instrument myself, with a bit more talent of course.

Considering these came out in the late 90's (from the info I could find) the crossovers should still be good.
They sure sound fine to me. Not bad at all for a FREE speaker.
The woofer seems to be glued on someway. Took the screws off and it wouldn't budge.
Luckily looks like the crossover is on the speaker input plate so it should be easy to get to. If they could use an update it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
Anyway, has anyone else had any experience with these? Any info or thoughts on them would be appreciated.
I'd love to know if the OP still listens to his ten years later.
Oh and did I mention I got them for FREE:biggrin:

I have the bigger brother the 2000.6 which has the dual 6.5 in it. At the time I compared them with energy, Boston acoustics, M and K just to name a few. Back in the 90s everyone was trying to get into the home theater game but I wanted something that did music and movies well. I really liked M and k speakers when I first heard them but they were going for 500 a piece and just couldn't swing it. The bostons and energys sounded similar. I settled on the Infinitys for price and quality of sound. I havent looked back as they are still sounding great with movies and music. These are really strong in the midrange.

image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom