Greatest Drag Races Of All Time

Where do they come up with the music for this?

I mean where is the Ray Charles ~ What I'd Say?

Last edited:
I've seen the Shockwave truck run. It's not all that fast compared to a dedicated drag machine, but the spectacle of it all is outrageous! If you ever get the chance to see it run, don't miss it. :thumbsup:

How about the Armoral Revell Rocket car the other 200+mph hydrogen peroxide rocket cars? Coolest shit ever. They went whoosh and disappeared down the track like bullets. At OCIR they blew the doors off the equipment storage room in the tower behind the starting line. A real crowd pleaser.

Hey pig, a guy at work is considering getting an old beetle (hes checking it out today) and putting a 911 engine in it. He just showed me yesterday the two "dung beetle" vids shown in your first video (against lambo and gtr). Kinda random I just happen to randomly see the same two random videos in two days.

I don't know the story on that Bug, but it must be embarrassing for an Italian super car to get smoked like that.

Regards
Mister Pig

Your best post yet! I grew up near The Shockwave's home track - MoKan Dragway. Les Shockley shows up with it with (4) jet engines and the IHRA says NOPE. He pulled one off, centered the upper and returned. The first time we saw it run, we sat in the stands along the starting line. That was a BIG mistake, especially given that we were all sunburned from a long day at the track.

You have to understand the weight of this vehicle and that it has no drivetrain to comprehend just how amazing it is. It used to run the 1/4 mile in the 6s IIRC. BITD, the truck was on the show That's Incredible and it beat (from a dead stop) a plane crossing the starting line at over 100mph in the 1/4 mile.

As for the Dung Beetle and the Farm Truck, just set your DVR to record the upcoming season of Street Outlaws. They're both a huge part of the show.

My fave in that video was the 1,000hp VW Polo!

I was a big fan in the `60s and early `70s. I used to love "The Gasser Wars", guys like Big John Mazmanian and Stone, Woods & Cook, battling it out in their Willys coupes, the top dragsters of the day, like Don "The Snake" Prudhomme, Connie Kalitta, "TV Tommy" Ivo, and "Big Daddy" Garlits. A couple years later we had folks like Grumpy Jenkins, with his stable of "Grumpy`s Toys" race cars, and "Jungle Jim" Lieberman, along with his girlfriend "Jungle Pam", both of whom I shared pizza and beers with after the races were done. Those were different times, you didn`t have to be a bazillionaire to compete back then....

RuPauls-Drag-Race.jpg

I was a big fan in the `60s and early `70s. I used to love "The Gasser Wars", guys like Big John Mazmanian and Stone, Woods & Cook, battling it out in their Willys coupes. Those were different times, you didn`t have to be a bazillionaire to compete back then....

I lived in Westland Mi in the 60's and one of the Stone, Woods & Cooks 41 Willys would frequently be parked in a neighbors garage. Never saw them wrenching on it and the folks that lived there did not seem to be mechanical types, at least I never noticed toolboxes in their garage. I have always wondered just what was going on with that car? If it was for shows or a backup or what?

One of the Alexander brothers also lived in our neighborhood and the Dodge Deora would frequently be parked at their house. There would be a bunch of us kids hanging out in the street on our Schwinn Sting Rays anytime that was parked in their driveway.

And what does this have to do with the post, oh yeah, these folks were not bazillionaires!

c12_0509_dodgedeora05_z.jpg

1207sr-06%2Bthe-detroit-autorama%2Byellow-deora.jpg

One of the great passes was Prudhomme's 5.63 in the Pepsi Challenger. In a Funny Car. A shot heard round the world.

Match racing back in the 1960's and early to mid 1970's. Some of the best drag racing . It'll never be repeated...

Jungle Jim!

Like Jungle said.... "Never trust the NHRA."

Bet a frosty six-pack somebody comments on Pam's.............

Last edited:
I know one thing now, :rolleyes: it takes one HELL of a car to smoke a motorcycle. :banana::yikes:
How about with a 1.3 liter Mazda RX-3, R100, or RX-7?

With 20+psi of boost the twin rotor 13B engine should not be underestimated or overlooked.

I think Mr. Pig would be endeared to the "oink oink" note of a 13B at idle. :)

Match racing back in the 1960's and early to mid 1970's. Some of the best drag racing . It'll never be repeated...

Jungle Jim!

Like Jungle said.... "Never trust the NHRA."

Bet a frosty six-pack somebody comments on Pam's.............

Seen Jungle Pams "Assets" Back in the day. Match racing in the 70/80'S was where we were on a Saturday night. OCIR/Lions/Irwindale. What a blast. Literally. Man, This stuff makes me feel old.

While my Dad's involvement was with local dirt track midgets & modifieds in the 50's & 60's one of his friends ran Top Fuel (Del Fisher & his "Blue Angel", also drove the "Chizler" for Chris Karamesines a few times). There was a guy named Lonnie Butts that lived a block away from us that had a fuel altered before moving to California in 1964 and switching to Top Fuel. Lonnie used to test the altered late at night on the recently paved neighborhood streets.

Back
Top Bottom