Feeling Proud

Eric Lloyd

I just want to share how excited I am to have just completed my first tonearm rewire. I've done quite a few assorted turntable repairs before, but this is the first time I had to go this far.

This is a Technics SL-23 that sat in a shed in Phoenix for a couple of decades. The owners son is going to college and asked if he could have it. They are relatives, and I agreed to look it over. There was zero dollars offered for this project (sigh). After basic cleaning, Deoxiting and lubrication, replacing the belt and cartridge (sadly, the Pickering XV-15 on it was toast after baking so many years - I put on an AT-95E) it cranked right up and held speed very well.
However, there was no sound from the left channel. I traced this with a meter to internally corroded interconnect cables, which I replaced with a new set of Radio Shack cables I had laying around. Now I had both channels - and a loud bass hum! ACK!
I quickly realized the hum changed when I touched the collar on the tonearm. So, I hit it with an ohmmeter and readings were here, there and everywhere. Coincidentally, a friend had given me an SL-B101 with a bad motor and no cover, so I decided to use it as a donor to the SL-23.
This is when I found out that I had to completely disassemble the tonearm. Intimidating! But, it won't work otherwise so what have I got to lose? Fortunately, the wires from the B101 arm were longer than the originals so I had plenty to work with. Rather than transplant the wires only, I swapped over the collar assembly altogether. This was a slight mistake because the replacement collar is a little lighter than the one from the SL-23. Now the counterweight is almost up against the pivot and I'm ordering a weight for the headshell to compensate. Still, the tonearm rewire fixed the hum problem. YAY! Also, it took three tries to readjust the anti-skate and auto return assemblies properly. That was a little frustrating, but not unexpected.
All in all, I'm very happy with the results. I have it playing Dire Straits in the office right now, and in two weeks it will go to college with its new owner.

Now that I think about it, I believe it might be a good thing having less weight by the headshell and having the counterweight closer to the pivot. Might be a happy accident. Looks like I save a few bucks that way, too.

That's one of the most satisfying things about this hobby. Learning how to fix things yerself... and know your limitations. I still won't touch the innards of a tube amp.

Yea, I'm still a little squeamish about soldering on circuit boards, but I have a practice unit now.

I have a PROBLEM. The hum is back! After playing a half dozen records with no problem at all I turned the receiver on and there is the bass hum again. Doesn't matter if the turntable is on or off, or even if it's plugged in to power. If I remove the headshell it gets much, much louder. It seems obvious there is still a fault in the signal circuit. Could it be another grounding issue? I was sure I had everything properly wired, but this hum says otherwise. Back to the bench and the multi-meter, I guess. Serves me right for celebrating. I'll be sure to update when I have results, but I have a nasty chest cold so this might be a little slow.

I checked that the headshell was mounted properly - no change. So I got out the ohm meter and checked everything I could think of - it all seems good. I even went ahead and opened it up enough to make sure the tonearm wires weren't binding on anything. I'm stumped at this point.
Going to keep plugging away at it as I have the energy.

Good news, bad news. Tried it on another receiver and it works fine. Tried the first receiver with nothing plugged into the phono inputs - serious bass hum. SO... It turns out the SL-23 is still a great performer, but my poor Pioneer receiver is headed to the shop.

Back
Top Bottom