Zonker92
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• THANKS FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE ON EBAY.
    I asked you to send part list several minutes ago. My email is 4katsiashvili@gmail.com
    Thanks a lot
    Zonker-
    I saw your L300 Ebay when crossover boards. I've owned a pair since 1975 when I acquired as a salesman's accommodation purchase. I would love to talk to you regarding the Nelson Pass upgrade. I can provide my email address if you would be agreeable. BTW...The factory price on the L300 was $897/ea. in '75!
    Thanks,
    Marc
    Hi zonker so I did the mod and am having no sound from the horn? The only thing I didn’t do is remove the 20mf cap which is removed from your board, would that cause the issue leaving it in. There is signal going to the woofer using the lower inputs but the upper inputs do nothing? Any ideas thanks
    Zonker92
    Zonker92
    It's been years since I did this, but I think you may need to bi-wire the inputs: Your amplifier leads should be connected in parallel to both sets of terminals; HF and LF.
    Hi zonker, I just purchased 4430 speaker and have pulled the crossovers to remove the switch like you show in one of your post, from my understanding if I copy what you did in the pic were the switch was located and install the 3 jumpers and move the terminal for e3 to the location were the switch was I should be good to go? Sorry I’m new at this and don’t want to mess it up thanks mike
    Zonker92
    Zonker92
    Yes; that sounds correct!
    good afternoon Zonker 92, all right.
    I contacted ebay to buy the drawings of the jbl summit l300 project, but there is no way to buy for, you asked me to speak here in the chat with you.
    I await your return, I'm Guto.
    Thank you
    Zonker92
    Zonker92
    Guto; I just saw this message now. Sorry! Can you email me at ericamador@gmail.com?

Eric
    Reactions: Zonker92
    Zonker92
    Zonker92
    Just saw this. Dang; so cool? Asking price?
    Mr. Dizz
    Mr. Dizz
    I’m thinking $2,000 plus shipping. They’re not pristine by any means, but the fact that they have every scrap of paperwork and are one-owner speakers is extra-special! I grew up listening to them and they’re one of the most exceptional set of loudspeakers I ever heard.
    Mr. Dizz
    Mr. Dizz
    In the photo gallery, there’s an advertisement picturing this very set of Minigons—my Dad was an ad man and traded his work for a discount on the Minigons and a pair of Lancer 77s for his parents.
    Greetings Zonker92! I am the proud new owner of some 4430s. My room has hardwood floors. If I could improve the bass some, that'd be great. I don't want to raise them up 5" or so, because when sitting on my couch, the horn is eye level. Anyway, I read one of your mods on stuffing the ports. Can I do this easily with household items? I am looking for a quick, easy mod. THANKS SIR!!! Brian
    Zonker92
    Zonker92
    Brian, congratulations. The port stuffing was pretty subtle but worth trying. I used rubber floor mats from Walmart. They still sell them. Cleaning or bypassing the biamp switch should give you a much better bass upgrade.
    bdmcn71
    bdmcn71
    Thanks!! I love these speakers. When you say cleaning the bypass switch, do you mean externally with Detoxit? or internally? thanks
    Zonker92
    Zonker92
    I bypassed mine per my thread on that topic, but failing that you would want to clean them as best you can. You'd really have to remove the crossovers and get in there with Deoxit and a Q-tip, and even then part of the switches are hard up against the circuit board and almost impossible to get into.
    I am looking forward to your comparison of the L300's to your 4435's and the 4430's.
    Zonker92
    Zonker92
    At this point I'm only borrowing empty cabinets for measurements, but I have a feeling there may be some mission creep. <gulp>
    Hi Zonk, I have a pair of S75 and want to redo the crossover to avoid fire. I want to ask what kind of resistor should I be aware of?
    Zonker92
    Zonker92
    Sorry I missed this question before. I think any modern resistors rated 10 watts or better would be fine. Daytons, Mills, etc. I suspect the original resistors were rated too low; maybe 5 watts or less. Not sure though.
    Zoned, glad to hear you like the s6's... Are they similar to the s10's I pictured in the thread. Some dude has them listed near me for $200.00 says they have some minor scratches but are in good shape. What do you think of that price?
    Reactions: Zonker92
    Zonker92
    Zonker92
    They look pretty similar to me. I think $200 is a great price.
    M
    mchriste
    Cool... I may try to talk my wife into it. Thanks.
    Hey Zonk, I've seen you around for a long time. Now that I have some JBL's we've been commenting on a few similar threads. Just wanted to say WHATS GOOD and let you know I've always thoroughly enjoyed seeing the Bubbles avatar
    Hi Zonk. If you recall, a while back we discussed making grilles for the JBL 30s. You had sent your grilles to someone and he fabricated a replica. A friend recently purchased a set of 4430s: no grilles, no cloth. What should we do?
    I told him about your furniture, plinths, speaker stands, etc. Could you please send a link to your stuff? Thanks.
    hi zonker . i read a post of yours about someone saying some bass issues on a jbl L80 . I HAVE THESE 4410As and was playing and comparing with some smaller tannoy mercury2s.
    the bass of the tannoy albeit the smaller driver was more preferred by three of us and it kept us playing that speaker with my rega mira for a few hours.
    now the top end of the jbls is also bigger and wider but the bass is like SCATTERED EVERYWHERE .
    i was wondering if its a capacitor ageing .
    or what are your opinions ...... any ideas on how to beat the tanns..
    Zonker,
    One question on my 4343's has not been answered as I reviewed all the threads. Does it pay form a vintage market value standpoint to just bypass the L Pads or replace as you say? Will it mean much if I went to sell them?
    What is the best replacement for a blown JBL 4430 diaphragm?
    I have found some on ebay where the seller claim's one size fits all (about 20 different speaker's 8 Ohms and 16 Ohms).
    Another site says they sell genuine JBL replacement parts (made in Mexico).
    What would you use and where would you get it?
    Please Help me I consider you the expert on 4430's.
    Should I replace both so they sound the same?
    Does it depend on the driver I have in the but cheeks?
    (luxman C-120A pre amp, Pioneer: M-25, TX-9500, PL-570) JBL: Brazili cabs, (LE 15A ,LE 85 Potato Mashers, 075 bullet tweeters, N700, LX5) Records sound fantastic I whish I had blue velvet to play. I liked your old avatar.
    Please and thanks.
    hi zonk,

yep, i remember going in there once and he was demoing dq10s with a stax amp. i had him put on the sheffield prokoviev. ine of the sides starts with a dissonant crescendo which is an amplifier challenge for sure. the low sensitivity of the dahlquists ate the stax amp for lunch.

the store had some great equipment and was worth traveling to, even from the sf valley. its fortunate that B&M stores are coming back. if you get back to LA, try going to broooks berdan in monrovia. definitely worth the trip, AND they have a record store there too.

..t
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom