Roy Skinner
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Awesome recommendation! I ordered it with another on amazon. Found them both for $20 shipped. I'll give them a read. Thank you.
    Hey Roy, just got your messages. Good to hear from another Oki Marine! Our barracks was at the north end of Camp Hansen by 9thEngr Bn on the back gate road. Their mess hall was right next to our buildings but ours was all the way up by the front gate (go figure!). I too heard the Bose for the first time at that PX and fell in love with the 901's. Of course an E-3 at the time couldn't afford them and the monster Kenwood, so I bought a pair of 301's. Still have them and still sounding good after a refoam many years ago. Probably about time to do them again! I have some fond memories of Okinawa and some not so fond! I wasn't really fond of 'Ville patrol in Kinville, but do remember some crazy nights bar hopping there. Oh, to be young and dumb again!! Take care Roy and OOH-RAH!!!
    For clarification -- I think we are talking about the Bose receiver, correct? I sold it about a year back. But to answer your question: No, I never found a way to get access to the switches. I'm sure there is a simple way, but I could never figure it out. I just did a lot of stretching, twisting and reaching with a wand/straw on the switches to clean them.

To me (and I'm faaaaar from an expert) your problem sounds like a bad capacitor or the like in the power amp section or a bad speaker relay.
    Roy, tried sending you the Service Manual in PDF format through your email address that you provided but after the second failed attemp (Mail Delivery System Failure) on my Office Outlook it appears that there is a problem with your email address?
    Yes I still have my Bose Spatial Control Receiver but have yet to actually give it a full workover.
    I sent you a copy of the Service Manual, glad I could be of help.
    What condition is yours in? Does it need alot of work? What exactly have you done to it up to this point? Parts replaced? etc.
    Anyway, hopefully everything turns out good!
    Just saw your post in 80's BPC thread. I bought my Kenwood at the Hansen PX also, only a few years earlier (1977). Good to have another Marine on AK! I was with 9th Motor Transport Bn 3d FSSG. Just before I rotated back to the world, we moved to Camp Foster. I too have several Bose speakers (301, 501, 901 Series III). I like the way they disperse the sound around the room, so don't let the bashers get to you if you want to go with the Bose speakers. I would like to get a Bose amp/receiver one day, but the ones I see on the 'bay are too beat up or too costly. Remember if it sounds good to you, it is good no matter what anyone else says. Semper Fi, Greg
    I see, but were not the only ones. bdean, and donberry are Bose fans too. I have the 108787 receiver, and 401s. I have just given a nice pair of woodgrain 301s to my sister in law. I am trying to rationalize selling my 401s, and 301s to get 901s for my living room. I am also selling my fiancee on the 901s. I have loved them since I heard my first pair as a teenager.
    How many enthusiasts does it take to have a forum? Regards, Roy
    Roy,
    The Bose forum exists only in our minds. Most here on AK really frown on Bose speakers, so I put that up as a joke! sorry.
    I actually own some Bose and like them very much.
    Regards,
    Brad
    I agree. I am a Bose fan from way back. I own the 901 6's.....301 2's......201 3's and 4's. I understand some of what people say but I just have an open mind and know what I like. I also have two vintage sets of klh which are fantastic. Bottom line is whatever makes you happy. I'm no so much into warm sound I like crisp highs. I'm new to this but have been reading Ak for a long time and its helped me tons in my purchases so I finally joined up.
    Well, I am going to go and put a down payment onthe 550 tomorrow. It is being sold at a local shop named Remember Wynn. His name is Mr. Wynn. It is a cooll old vinyl record shop with an equipment section. I was amazed when I found the Bose receiver. I was not aware that they had ever made them. It has been there for more than a year, and I am the only one that has ever enthused about it. I just think it is too cool. Hell I can't even play the old Lloyds at half volume when my sweetheart is home. She does like the Pioneer 790 that I found at a yard sale for $4.00 a couple of weeks ago though. It came with some mellow sounding Realistic speakers too. Love serendipity.
    When I bought my first pair of 301s the sales lady demonstrated the stereo everywhere effect of Bose speakers and that sold me. That was 1985. I still have those in the closet needing to be refoamed. Thanks much for responding so soon. Time to hit the sheets.
    I tend to believe most people jump on the anti-Bose bandwagon and they have never even heard them. Even the ones that have apparently do not have a clue as to what they were designed for. Pretty much always you will hear anti-bose people talk about not having pinpoint imaging etc.......that is exactly what they were designed not to do. Bose designs the speakers to give one the "live" sound. If you go to a concert you do not hear the music the same as sitting at home and listening to a studio album. Yet you will read comment after comment after comment about their imaging etc, usually from people who should know better. For some reason people love to bash Bose.
    I learned a long time ago that just because the majority tells me something is good or bad it doesn't mean a thing. Most people form opinions without even hearing the gear or in the case of Bose, not even knowing what it was designed for.Biggest thing is forget what anyone else thinks - please your own ear and be proud of it.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom