Poinzy
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Albums About

• I'm waiting for a good deal on the computer I want. I'd feel a little funny ordering something from Staples. I don't know why, exactly.
    A truly balanced phono cartridge would be very desirable. But if one were feasible, it would have been produced by now. It hasn't been.
    "Let's just throw terms around and let them mean what we want them to mean." ~ Every audio forum.
    "It isn't really balanced unless the coils have center taps that can be grounded, and none do." Thank you, Conrad.
    From what I gather, you have to sacrifice the traditional ground connections and use a workaround.
    You have to sacrifice something if your phono cartridge only has 4 connector pins.
    If balancing a turntable, in the conventional sense, were practical, someone would have marketed a hot-cold-ground phono cartridge by now.
    You can't make a balanced connection with a phono cartridge the way you can with a microphone.
    ...the noisy part of the turntable. An electronically balanced cartridge would be enormous, and otherwise just plain impractical.
    There isn't enough room in a cartridge casing for the electronics needed to truly balance a phono cartridge, and the cartridge is the...
    If you really want to balance a turntable, you have to start with the phono cartridge. There are no "cold" pins on phono cartridges.
    I think audiophiles are treating like a Black Art something that's been common knowledge among engineers for generations.
    Ironically, Stevenson was still in grade school when RCA published their equations. Oops.
    For laughs, I superimposed my 1-point RCA protractor on a Stevenson dual-null-point protractor. They were geometrically identical.
    At least RCA did actual lab testing, and developed their tonearm geometry accordingly.
    Actually, the effectuality of null-point alignment is unknown, since null-point theory never got comprehensive lab testing. Sad but true.
    I just made my own alignment protractors based on equations I found in an RCA engineering handbook. No more null points. Stuff works fine.
    If you really want to pick at nits, agonize over which null-point phono cartridge alignment protractor to use. Real Golden Ears nonsense.
    Old phonographs had a terrible time tracking harmonics on shellac recordings, so harmonic modulations were often damaged or destroyed.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom