Poinzy
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Albums About

• My father wouldn't use pre-assembled tube amps, like the ones made by McIntosh, because he said his amps had better components.
    My Dad built his own hi-fi tube amps, starting in the late 1940's. By the mid-1970's, he said there wasn't any point, and switched to SS.
    If you want to know how tubes work, just dig out an old RCA Receiving Tube Manual. It's decidedly free of romance.
    Michael Fremer's chief talent is making himself unworthy of refuting by people with technical credentials.
    When The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and Analog Planet are regarded as authoritative, you know the heyday of home audio is long past.
    If I valued consistency in sonic performance, I would never use a tube amp in a mission critical audio production system.
    A tube amp's sound varies with load. Speakers cause tube amps to act like tone controls. Some people like that effect, apparently. I don't.
    Tubes used to sound better than solid-state, up until about the mid-1970's. After that, no.
    If the Dual 1229 didn't have certain deficiencies, it wouldn't need a 7-pound platter.
    Unless you plan to spin 78rpm records, you really don't need the torque provided by idler-wheel driven turntables.
    I don't why people reach for Dual 1229's. The newer belt-driven Duals are more reliable and have better specs besides.
    If Michael Fremer tried to make a formal presentation in front of a group of materials or mechanical engineers, he'd be verbally gang-raped.
    Any one with real technical knowledge just laughs at Michael Fremer. Fremer probably banks on his fan base never discovering this.
    I've never seen a credentialed engineer engage in the kind of self-promotion that Michael Fremer does. Why does this guy rate column space?
    So many pros use audio interfaces with Windows that, if they thought bit depth was affected by OS gain, they'd scream bloody murder.
    I enjoy violating people's safe spaces with what are meant to be completely innocuous posts.
    My Dad said his belt-drive AR turntable always looked a lot better than it performed. He finally sold it to get a Dual 701.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom