Search results

1. qguy

Soft dome tweeter - dome lost its coating

I have soft dome tweeter, from the outside, it looks fine but if you put the dome against the light, the light goes through the dome, any recommended fix. Some option that I can think of is spray painting the backside with paint. A tech recommended 30 percent elmers glue and 70 percent water...
  2. qguy

Woofer with mis-aligned voice coil

I had a woofer repaired with a mis-aligned VC. What could possibly cause a VC to be mis-aligned when the cone, surround and spider is intact and undamaged?
  3. qguy

Acarian Alon 4 vs Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MKii

Currently using an Acarian Alon 4 with a 15 inch Rythmik sub. Would the Dynaudio partnered with the same sub be an upgrade or just a different flavor. I am actually pretty happy with the Acarian and Rythmik combo, just curious if anyone would have experienced with the two speakers. Dynaudio is...
  4. qguy

Mystery Garrard turntable

Anyone knows the model of this one?
  5. qguy

Voice coil rub repair with acetone on spider

Got a 10 inch subwoofer which rubs when push on one side of the cone. I have read that removing the dust cap and putting shims and applying acetone on the spider softens the spider and realligns the voice coil. The question is, how many drops of acetone is needed for a 10 inch subwoofers spider?
  6. qguy

Refinishing G-4700

Has anyone succesfully removed the vinyl wrap of the G-4700 without damaging the slots for air vent. Planning to removed the vinyl wrap and apply body filler to the damage areas and paint if black.
  7. qguy

Dogs and audio equipment

It has been several years that my kids has been asking for a small puppy and basically it was not possible even if I am a dog lover myself as the dog would most likely chew on the furniture and the audio equipment, chewing on the furniture is ok, on the audio equipment is not acceptable...
  8. qguy

Can a inexpensive optical to coaxial converter degrade the sound?

Can a inexpensive optical to coaxial converter degrade the sound? After conversion, will 12 meters of coaxial cable be too long ?
  9. qguy

DIGITAL Vinyl?

I remember during the early days of the compact disc, there was a mark of "DDD" which stands for Digital Recording, Digital Mix and lastly the format which is the CD which is Digital. I am guessing the older LP were in effect "AAA" prior to digital age. I just read an article that mention that...
  10. qguy

Headphone jack trick for power on pops on 1060

My 1060 pops (the speakers) when powered on, I was advised to insert a headphone jack to engage the internal resistors and absorb the current. Is there a way I can engage the resistors internally without having to insert a jack? yes, I can solder :)
  11. qguy

How hot is too hot for a Class AB amp

I measured the temp of the top cover of my amp, Class AB, Musical fidelity Typhoon and it is reading 40 degrees Celsius, is this way too hot for a Class AB, Musical Fidelity Typhoon?
  12. qguy

Musical fidelity Electra series

Does the whole Electra series, E1, E10,E11 and E100 have the same sound signature? The E1 has very good bass or too much bass response, wondering if the rest of the range sounds the same..
  13. qguy

Now that the price of Russian tubes have skyrocketed, will tube amps price go down ?

Now that the price of Russian tubes have skyrocketed, will tube amps price go down ?
  14. qguy

Musical Fidelity Typhoon - Service Manual

Anyone have the service manual for the Musical fidelity Typhoon power amp. Need to adjust DC offset and bias thanks
  15. qguy

Amp has distorted sound on the first minute

Amplifier: Musical Fidelity Typhoon What are the possible causes lf I get distorted sound on the first minute and then sounds fantastic onwards?
  16. qguy

Acoustic Energy AE1 from the 90s

Anyone owns this model from the 90s? They were very expensive and popular back then as they were very small (4.5 inch woofer ) and packs a punch. The reason I asked is that I recently got this budget model from the same company and it is even smaller. See pic below. Not much bass, but the mids...
  17. qguy

5.5 inch woofer bottoming out on 25 watts but not on 150 watts

I have an older Acoustic energy AE 109, it is rated for 150 watts, when I cranked it using a 25 watt amp, the woofer bottoms out, the sound is not distorted, it is just that the voice coil former hits something from too much excusrion. Tried a 150 watt power amp and I can crank the thing until...
  18. qguy

50 watts Class A vs 50 Watts Class A/150 Class AB

50 watts Class A amp vs 50 Watts Class A/150 watts Class AB amp Would the pure Class Amp have any advantage over a Class A/Class AB amp when operating below 50 watts
  19. qguy

Vertical Imaging question

In a dedicated listening room, will the singer appear to be singing standing up, even if the floorstander speakers is only 3 feet high? If a floorstander is 5-6 feet high, will a solo drum player sound like the drums is on a raised platform ?
  20. qguy

What are possible causes for woofer distortion when played loud.

Woofer distorts when played loud, no voice coil rub, I check the edge and spiders and there are no loose parts. No wire hitting the driver from the inside. Sound is ok when played at medium levels.
  21. qguy

Can an amp be too cold when active cooling is employed?

So you warm up your amp for an hour, you get 50 degrees Celsius on the heat sink, assuming this is the ideal temperature for the amp to work at its best, Now, you turn on your fans and the heat sink drops to to 35 degrees Celsius, Does your amp still retain the same sound quality when it was at...
  22. qguy

Amp with no trim pots for DC offset

Do amps with no trim pots for DC offset offer any advantage vs amp with trim pots?
  23. qguy

Usher R1.5 left and right input wires not the same

The amp has bridge mono feature, is this normal or repaired?
  24. qguy

CLASS A amp runs cool

Class A amp, not the ones that runs a few watts in CLASS A and then operates in class AB after, runs cool, assuming the bias was throttled down or something else is amiss, does it now operate in class AB or does it still run at class A but at a lower quality of sound
  25. qguy

89lbs but only 150 wpc, what is the catch ?

Looking at an Usher R1.5, it is 89 lbs, 150 watts per channel at 8 ohm, guessing the first 25 watts is in class A as the R2.5 is 250 wpc AB/50 wpc Class A. Idle current is at 250 watts for the R1.5. From what I read, the amp is based on Nelson Pass' Stasis design. My Rotel RB-1090 is around 85...
Back
Top Bottom