Search results

1. sxty8goats

Record Bin From single 4 x 8 Sheet of Plywood - Plans

Thanks. I love coming back and seeing so many builds. This may be my best contribution to the internet ever.
  2. sxty8goats

Hey folks, I'm not on here much these days but I'm still an audio fan playing vinyl through tubes. There have been a few changes to the site since I was here last. I can no longer edit the first post and photobucket stopped allowing 3rd party sharing. apparently The images no longer show up and...
  3. sxty8goats

Grado FC+

That is a damn shame. Grado is one of the few bigger names I don't actually own to play with. The charts I found didn't mention the FC+ but all the carts with a + seemed to take modern styli. Oh well. I was a hoping.
  4. sxty8goats

Grado FC+

I know this is an old thread but I'm in the process of resurrecting a dump find JVC JL-F30 turntable that has a FC+ Grado on her. Just finished unfreezing and cleaning the spindle / spindle bearing. The mechanical / gearing of the auto return seem to be working correctly. So now it's just...
  5. sxty8goats

Pioneer SX-3700: Help needed to clean/polish faceplate

I used a Magic Eraser cleaning pad on mine. It did wonders.
  6. sxty8goats

Small Speakers on Big Stands???

This. And with my system, the small speakers are backed up by a sub. So there is no loss of bass. And while they do take up about the same footprint that they replaced, visually they take up far less room, making a space that seemed crowded appear open.
  7. sxty8goats

Newbie situation - phono preamp with McIntosh gear

I have a Mx110z pre. There are gains on each input channel so that you can balance the output levels of each. Check your owners manual to see if these are on the Mx132 as well. There is often variances between sources.
  8. sxty8goats

Any NEW large flat screens WITH speakers anymore?

I just bought a half dozen TVs, helping a friend that wasn't satisfied with the picture until he settled on an LG OLED 55". That was 4 TVs, a few Sony's and the LG. I bought a 55" LG OLED myself and then exchanged it for a 65". Everything I saw had speakers and many actually promoted their...
  9. sxty8goats

Modding a MC240 into an MC275 - Possible?

Thanks to you both. I suspected as much but really wasn't sure.
  10. sxty8goats

Modding a MC240 into an MC275 - Possible?

First off, my Mc240 is in great shape and is vintage 1960s so I'm not actually going to do it. I get plenty of volume and she sounds great. I just rebuilt her about 3 years back so with a little luck I'll do it one more time in my 80s and give it to my niece. But I had a thought and needed to...
  11. sxty8goats

How to make a car burn more oil?

Anything you do to effect the test apart from changing the way you drive the car would be fraudulent. That said, the answer to the second part of your question "Why 1 qt in 800 miles vs very little loss in 1200" is driving conditions. Apart from a compromised lower end and leaks, most oil loss...
  12. sxty8goats

Nice JBL "Barn Find"

There are repro Mc240 chassis out there. I've also seen a few that were sanded and repainted. Sure, you loose the chrome but they look really good and can be colored to match anything.
  13. sxty8goats

Shure M91ED aftermarket stylus from Columbia

The M91ED is my preferred stylus on my modified SL1200mKII. I've run both the EVG stylus and the SAS. I prefer the SAS on my table. Oddly enough, the M91ed+EVG stylus sounded better on an SL1800mk1 that a friend of mine picked up. I keep a cart loaded with the EVG for those time when friends...
  14. sxty8goats

That's very cool. I expect a discount if I ever swing by. :) LOL
  15. sxty8goats

Assistance with troubleshooting an SX-780 requested!

I am, same to you.
  16. sxty8goats

Assistance with troubleshooting an SX-780 requested!

Hey Glen! Wana learn a small world fact? KEV31779 and Hemi Ram share an office with me. KEV was a great help to me when I rebuilt my MC240 a few years back. Answered all my questions regarding how the circuits on my schematic actually worked. The kid is honest and smart as hell. He is our EE...
  17. sxty8goats

Have you ever asked a retail establishment to turn down or off their stereo?

I was all set to say no, or rather not comment at all because I thought my answer was no... Then I remembered all the times in my 20's and 30's when I was mixing bands in bars around FL and then IL. I would often mix other bands than the few I worked with regularly if I could reach the sound...
  18. sxty8goats

Windows 10 forced upgrade?

Keep in mind that the iPad has solid state memory. No slow hard drives to pull the data from. That is the main reason it feels so fast. If you had a solid state drive in your computer/laptop, load times would be similar.
  19. sxty8goats

Spare 15" LCD, ideas to use it ?

The recycling bin at my local dump is full of them. You can grab a working 20-22 inch monitor out of the container just about anytime you might want one.
  20. sxty8goats

Tube Testing Question

Thanks all. I bought the tester here in barter town. I don't feel it was misrepresented, just that I didn't know what I was buying. There is a local guy here that helped me out a year or so back. I may contact him and see if he minds testing the tubes I have. I may just pop the new tubes I...
  21. sxty8goats

Spare 15" LCD, ideas to use it ?

Mount it to your dash and pretend you own a Tesla? Actually popping it in frame and using it to cycle pictures is a pretty good idea. I bet you could do it with a Raspberry Pi or Adruno with a usb stick for memory/storage. It might be a fun project. A quick google turned up an...
  22. sxty8goats

Tube Testing Question

Ok, so as I am someone new to this.. Redplate would logically to me be a plate glowing red? or at least getting very hot? There was no arcing or visible heat. The tubes themselves barely get warm. The filaments glow but in the same manner as they do in an amp. So if that is the case...
  23. sxty8goats

Tube Testing Question

How is it that it tests some tubes fine and that test repeates but it kills others? Same setting, same tube type. I'm asking to learn.
  24. sxty8goats

Tube Testing Question

For what it is worth, the tubes that tested bad on first run through, all came from areas of the amp I was not happy with. FM radio would occasionally 'pop' and loose all high end / air in the music. Then slowly come back to life. Bad tested tube in the MPX oscillation section. Phono section...
  25. sxty8goats

Tube Testing Question

If the tester is murdering my tubes, there is no point in putting those back. Also, why do some tubes test solid, time and time again, and other test/go bad in test? What is going on there?
Back
Top Bottom