Search results

1. 63pontiacgp

Silvertone 1708 1941 5 Tube Farm Radio Restoration

I don't think the "cleaner" power will provide any real benefit on this type of radio. Too bad AES (Antique Electronic Supply) no longer sells their battery eliminator kit. They were fairly inexpensive and worked well. I think a simple supply is your best bet. Mike
  2. 63pontiacgp

What's your latest audio purchase?

Another radio for me. From 1938 a tiny Silvertone. Same as the Detrola Jr. Pee Wee model 216. These small sets are my favorites. Mike
  3. 63pontiacgp

Also, the few battery sets I have had are almost "instant on" versus AC sets that need a bit of warm up time. Mike
  4. 63pontiacgp

New Sl-100c wobble

That isn't right, My fairly new SL-1500C does not do that. Mike
  5. 63pontiacgp

Best little table radio?

Man, that's a hard one. Mike
  6. 63pontiacgp

Help identify this radio

Don't use that WD40 on the volume control or other parts either. Mike
  7. 63pontiacgp

Best little table radio?

That RCA is I believe the largest Catalin radio ever made. Isn't it the one called the "Tuna Boat"? Mike
  8. 63pontiacgp

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Foo Fighters and Fogerty today. Mike
  9. 63pontiacgp

Mica disease in early SS tuners

SMD or silver mica disease is fairly common in the late 40's and 50's tube radios that I play with. Mike
  10. 63pontiacgp

Best little table radio?

Did someone say table radios? I have a couple:) Mike
  11. 63pontiacgp

Do you have two turntables set up for different reasons?

2 tables for me. Have additional headshells with other carts for the Technics, and same for the Dual. Mike
  12. 63pontiacgp

No transistors (seth)

One of the reasons I left Florida and moved back to Kentucky was the snakes. One day while walking between our house and the neighbor's house I saw 7 snakes at one time. Too much for me as a self professed snake wimp Minnesota boy. Mike
  13. 63pontiacgp

Heads-up sale thread - EstateSales and such

Nope, I'm in Kentucky. Mike
  14. 63pontiacgp

Let's hear your horror stories and close calls!

A couple times for me. Always when working on a "hot" chassis AC/DC tube radio. I know better but sometimes get complacent. It'll remind you real quick. Mike
  15. 63pontiacgp

From 1939 an RCA 9TX-1 "Little Nipper". 5 tube set originally with a "curtain burner" line resistance power cord. Mike
  16. 63pontiacgp

I agree that the 9 volts would be good for testing. With any volume though they won't last long. Mike
  17. 63pontiacgp

Or folded up Marlboro box top. Mike
  18. 63pontiacgp

This Shit Jams

Nope 9600 baud desktop modem. Mike
  19. 63pontiacgp

This Shit Jams

I had a Hayes modem heavy enough that you'd break a toe if you dropped it on it. Mike
  20. 63pontiacgp

Nice looking radio, I don't think it's a 1708. The 1708 "Worlds Fair" radio is an AC set with 8 tubes from 1933. Edit: It's a 7108, Uses 90 Volts for operation and 1.5 Volts for the filaments. Mike
  21. 63pontiacgp

This Shit Jams

I think it's an "80" series. It doesn't say anything else in the listing. Mike
  22. 63pontiacgp

This Shit Jams

What can I say, I like Firefox. I'm old and stubborn. I don't like Edge. I also use Firefox on my Linux box out in my shop:) Edit: I also use Thunderbird! Mike
  23. 63pontiacgp

This Shit Jams

Love the description. No affiliation. Mike
  24. 63pontiacgp

Best budget cartridges of all time post yours

Another thing to consider is what us weirdos on AK consider to be a "budget" cartridge versus the common man on the street. Mike
  25. 63pontiacgp

Buying Used Vinyl and Giving Feedback

There's a few here on AK that I trust and will buy used records from, other than that no used records for me. Mike
Back
Top Bottom