Search results

1. Vinylcafe

Sony STR 7065a FM Center Tuning Meter Help

... a while since I've been here, over at Tapeheads obsessed with cassettes. Good to be back! I have the above receiver and the Center Tuning Meter needs calibration. The service manual describes the signal strength meter calibration, but no the center tuning meter. When the muting cuts out...
  2. Vinylcafe

Sony PS-8750 5v Rail Volatge Low

I know there are a number of 8750 experts here, and really hoping to get to the bottom of this issue. The Extal has been working on-and-off for years now, and I finally have the time to get to the bottom of it. Pretty convinced it's a low rail voltage for the ICs on the Extal board 5.5 is...
  3. Vinylcafe

In Praise of the Sony SS-M7b

I've had these for a while now, and been driving them with my solid state components. During this time they sounded quite good, but certainly didn't blow you away. Just recently I decided to power them with tubes, and gave them a bit of help with a sub. WOW! They are different speakers. First of...
  4. Vinylcafe

Do I Really Need An Attenuator?

I am SLOWLY putting together all the pieces to properly adjust cassette decks. It adds up, and there are many bits I need. So far I've picked up a Tek 465 scope, and HP 400EL AC volt meter, and all the tapes. I still need the M-300 gauge. Many service manuals I see call for an attenuator. They...
  5. Vinylcafe

Nichicon UKL Caps, No More

These were my go-to caps for low noise/leakage caps, as well as replacing tants. They are discontinued, and remaining stock at Mouser can only be ordered in quantities of 200 or more. Also, there's a 5 day wait time. These were great, reasonably priced capacitors. Should I stock up? Or does...
  6. Vinylcafe

Are Ceramic Caps Any Good For Audio?

Am am recapping an old TASCAM Portastudio 4 channel cassette deck. The Record/Playback board is full of small value (22pf-330pf) ceramic capacitors. I am no engineer, but have always read that this type of cap was kind of a lowest-common-denominator type of component. Should I be replacing these...
  7. Vinylcafe

Can AC and DC Share the Same Ground?

I am converting the lighting winding of an old Sony receiver to DC in order to use some LEDs. Have this nifty little converter pictured below ... AC in DC out. I want to take the negative DC output and solder it right to the same terminal strip that the original common AC output of the...
  8. Vinylcafe

Here's something you don't see every day!!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ele/d/sony-tan-8550-fet-power-amp/6271662811.html
  9. Vinylcafe

Need Advice On Working With SMDs

I have quite a nice old Walkman WM DC2 that flopped on its side the other day and stopped working. I found when I flexed the PC board by wiggling the phone jack it came back for a bit. There no question that a solder joint cracked on one of the components in the signal path. It effects both line...
  10. Vinylcafe

CDs Are The New Vinyl

How things have changed .... Just saw a really nice CD collection of about 250 discs at 0.80 cents a pop. Try doing that today with vinyl ... maybe a bunch of years ago, but no more. Time to make the shift!
  11. Vinylcafe

Luxman 1120a vs Sony TAN 8550

This was never set up as - or meant to be - some sort of shoot out. These impressions are based on a very organic process of bi-amping a pair of Sony SS M7B speakers running through a Polk sub. Source was PS 8750 with Benz Micro ACE S-L and a Fisher CX 400 2 pre, with outputs split. The Luxman...
  12. Vinylcafe

Help Testing Germanium Transistors?

I want to make sure that the 8 x 2SB26A Ge transistors in the old Trio amp I am working on are good. I also am trying to learn something about Ge transistors ... so far I am learning a lot more about vintage guitar fuzz pedals :eek: My small component tester recognizes the devices as Ge, but...
  13. Vinylcafe

Sony SS M7B deal

NO affliation. $500 $Cdn?! What is that? 300 US? http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649339993-sony-ssm7b-speakers-super-rare-made-in-usa-200-watts-awesome-shape-500/
  14. Vinylcafe

Kenwood/Trio KT-400 Service Manual Anyone?

Hello Kenwood/Trio/Accuphase folks! I have spent much time looking at these fine units, and a number are on my bucket list. However, my first foray into your world is VERY modest. A little Trio KT-400. 32 watts a side, driven by 8 germanium transistor, from 1965. I have never heard a ss amp...
  15. Vinylcafe

Kenwood / Trio TK-400 Amp; Worth Spending Time On?

Picked this up for nothing .... Hooked it up to the dim bulb tester and all good. Before hooking up any speakers, did the old Echowars "DC Offset and You" test. -34 VDC on each output (that's not mV) !!! Well at least they were even, and no speakers fried. So then pulled all the output devices...
  16. Vinylcafe

Small Flashes Inside A EI KT90?

Should I be worried? In the first minute of operation, I saw 4-5 ver small flashes inside the left side of the tube. Then it settled down, and seems to be fine. Is it on the edge of red plating? Do I need to replace it?
  17. Vinylcafe

The Little Speakers Hiding In The Weeds ...

I just re-discovered an old pair of Polk RT 25i speakers, long forgotten and once part of an old home theater setup. I just hooked them up in my office to a Fisher 400 CX 2 and Sony STR 7055 in power amp mode. MAN do they sound good, really good. Detailed, great imaging, amazing mids, solid...
  18. Vinylcafe

Dimensions of Fisher 400CX-2 Wooden Case?

Hello Fisher folks, it's been a while since I've visited ... I am trying to build my own case for my Fisher. I have found a supplier of the top screen, who can custom make the right size. Is there anyone out there with an original case, that would be willing to measure it up for me? I assume...
  19. Vinylcafe

DIY Interconnect Cables ... Some Questions

I am going to build some DIY cables, primarily because the space between my Fisher preamp's RCA jacks is TINY. I have found some narrow form factor RCA plugs that allow me to have cables plugged in right next to each other; 99 percent are too wide. So question now about the wire and how to...
  20. Vinylcafe

SUT vs. Phono Preamp?

Right now I am using a Clearaudio phono preamp. I can load it however I want. My MC cart sounds good with a 1K ohm load, and then goes to an Aux input. If I use a SUT into my MM phono input, I will get the default 47K load for an MM cart. Any way around that? Is my assumption correct?
  21. Vinylcafe

For Fisher Console Fans

Alas, solid state, but still ... https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/6001320274.html
  22. Vinylcafe

AM/FM Tuning Meter Mystery - Any Input Welcome

I have an AM/FM Signal Meter that won't center when an FM station is properly tuned; it is always a few degrees to the left of center. When the receiver is in any non-radio mode, it centers up nicely. 0 volts at the center position, -0.3 volts when FM is tuned in. When I tune a station using...
  23. Vinylcafe

Sony SS M3s ... Man These Are Nice Little Speakers!

I have read a lot about these over the years, and finally picked some up for a couple hundred bucks. Boy, are they good. After experimentation with positioning of speakers and listener, and a little help from a dialed in sub, the sound is way better than it should be for the price. Great sound...
  24. Vinylcafe

Is Heat The Ultimate Expression of Amp Stress?

Reason I ask ... Had my Luxman 1120a driving my AR-9s the other day. It hardly broke a sweat, and sounded VERYgood. After a couple hours at relatively high volume, it was only a bit warm. I am always afraid of using it, because it's not even rated at 4 ohms. If it's running cool, is it cool to...
  25. Vinylcafe

What Part of the Audio Chain Has Improved the Most Since Mid 70s?

Reason I ask ... Most of my gear is from around then (give or take). So what am I missing out on, as a function of all vintage. My guess is that it might be the speakers. With new materials and new software to help in the design, this might be the biggest leap forward. Or maybe it's cartridges...
Back
Top Bottom