Search results

1. BobbyBluz

Instruments owned by our musical heroes

I have Hubert Sumlin's 1970 Les Paul Custom. He gave it to me in 1987. I also have a 1964 Fender Deluxe Reverb that George Benson owned, I paid $125 for it and gigged with it for many years. I recently gave away Wes Montgomery's Magnatone M-14 amp because it needed too much work to resurrect. I...
  2. BobbyBluz

Any cat lovers here?

My latest feline companion. He's 18 pounds and none of them include brain cells. Three years old and craves attention.
  3. BobbyBluz

Today's Illinois Tunes and Musicians Playlist

My late friend Walter Scott was the band leader and guitar player for the Chi-Lites for several years. He was the most amazing rhythm player I've ever seen. Around 12-13 years ago I was at Kingston Mines one night to see him backing Kid Dynamite (You'd have to be from the area to know who he...
  4. BobbyBluz

What's The Last Thing That You Put Into Your Mouth?

A corned beef sandwich I ate for breakfast.
  5. BobbyBluz

Today's Blues Playlist

Eddie Taylor "Ready For Eddie".
  6. BobbyBluz

Your Last Concert (or two)

My own gig one week ago tonight, have another next Wednesday at an expensive country club in the Chicago suburbs. It pays well plus they feed the band.
  7. BobbyBluz

Any cat lovers here?

My latest feline companion after my 20 year old Seal Point Siamese passed last March. His name is Flaco. When I adopted him from the Humane Society two months ago he weighed 9.5 pounds (this picture is from back then), now he's closing in on 15 pounds. He's 2 1/2 years old and acts like a 6...
  8. BobbyBluz

What was the last movie you watched?

Gamera vs Zigra
  9. BobbyBluz

Today's JAZZ playlist

All of the "Poll Winners" LP's from 1957-60. Barney Kessel, Ray Brown and Shelly Manne. Incredible stuff!
  10. BobbyBluz

Affordable high-quality, and pretty XLR cables (5-7ft)? Can you use microphone cables?

I use 50 foot mic cables all the time to feed my EV powered PA speakers from the mixer. Never any issues. I also make most of my XLR cables using Neutrik connectors and the same wire I used for mic cords and interconnects at the radio station.
  11. BobbyBluz

So I asked a 17 year old about some audio brands.

I have several EV speakers. Great stuff!
  12. BobbyBluz

So I asked a 17 year old about some audio brands.

You do know that Boz stole that tune from Fenton Robinson don't you? After Fenton started legal action Boz took his name off the writer's credit and Fenton got paid. Fenton did a few versions, I think the first was in 1967. I greatly prefer Fenton's versions as does a friend who plays in Boz's band.
  13. BobbyBluz

Ebay - what a pain and not worth the hassel

I snipe because it keeps me from getting carried away and overspending. Some bidding wars get ridiculous. I pay close attention to the automatic bids and the number of people using that.
  14. BobbyBluz

Logitech Speakers with torn surround

It's available on Amazon. Auto parts stores should carry it, it's used internationally.
  15. BobbyBluz

What was the first job you worked as?

I began working after school at a friend of my father's gas station when I was 12. In addition to pumping gas I did tune-ups and some brake work. This was in 1963-65. I grew up in auto racing (Modifieds & Midgets) so it wasn't a big thing other than I finally started getting paid in money...
  16. BobbyBluz

Did Your Taste in Music Evolve?

I'm in my 70's now and grew up around Jazz musicians. My parents were also Jazz fans. My mother had Big Bill Broonzy, Josh White and Lonnie Johnson LP's in the 50's as well. I eventually became a musician myself starting with Jazz then later Blues. Along with being a performing musician I've...
  17. BobbyBluz

What does your pet listen to when they think no one is around?

My cats don't listen to anything or anybody.
  18. BobbyBluz

Logitech Speakers with torn surround

3M Super Weatherstip adhesive. We used it on countless rental speaker repairs back in my Pro audio days. It stays pliable after drying plus is black in color. Never use anything that hardens after drying on speakers. We tried several different glues & adhesives and only the 3M did the job well...
  19. BobbyBluz

What are some of the nicest pairs of speakers you own?

My pristine EV Sentry III's. There are pictures of them already posted here on AK.
  20. BobbyBluz

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

A pair of powered JBL 308P's off the local Craigslist last week. Excellent condition, $220. I replaced a pair of 306P mkII's with them in one of my audio production workstations and the difference is huge.
  21. BobbyBluz

Ebay - what a pain and not worth the hassel

I've been on Ebay since 2006. I'll no longer sell on there but still buy select items. I've encountered one genuine idiot when I was a seller and a few scammers as a buyer. In the case of the idiot I had to take back a motherboard because the buyer couldn't figure out how to install it. I later...
  22. BobbyBluz

Are class D amps any good?

The Crown class D amps pushing my EV Sentry III's (bi-amped) and Sentry 500's are great. No complaints at all.
  23. BobbyBluz

worse than being sniped......

I always determine the maximum I want to pay for an Ebay item then wait until there's about 10 seconds of bidding time left before entering it. I usually win but if I don't no big deal, I'm not going beyond my limits on anything that's likely show up again for bidding.
Back
Top Bottom