Search results

1. rocketrobo

Markthefixer in Elmhurst hospital, not for long?

Mark, so sorry to read of your health problems, as Larry said, we ain't spring chickens any more. Hope the providers are treating you well. My very best wishes to you for a good recovery from these setbacks, and that you get to go home soon. BTW, I was scratching my head as to the meaning of...
  2. rocketrobo

Paradigm Titan V1 Rebuild

If I understand your question correctly, the new surround gets glued to the outer rim of the top of the cone.
  3. rocketrobo

HPM-100 woofer needs repair.....conundrum maybe

Interesting, I had an HPM-100 woofer that had the same problem. In my case, it broke off at the terminal end, not the voice coil end. There wasn't enough slack to resolder it on as is, so I used a bit of copper solder wick as an extension. Worked great. Jamac in Portland, OR is justly renowned...
  4. rocketrobo

Requesting Input from Forum Members After 2023 Update

I had some trouble viewing and posting, I kept getting the error "You must have cookies enabled to use this site". I am using the most recent version of Chrome, cookies were set to "enable all" In Chrome, I went to Settings / Privacy and Security / Site Settings / then for audiokarma.org I...
  5. rocketrobo

Bogen RF-35 dial cord stringing?

Well, a few months gone by, maybe you got your answer? Here is the SAMS, it does have a stringing illustration that might help. If you still need help, I can pop the cover off mine and get you some detailed pics.
  6. rocketrobo

Today's SOUL Playlist

I did ask in the Vintage Advertisements forum ... I didn't really want to cross-thread but I'm really curious now who the gentleman in the ad is, and what is his claim to (apparently) fleeting fame! It's a mystery!
  7. rocketrobo

Today's SOUL Playlist

This is more of a question than a selection. I may be posting in the wrong forum, but I have run out of research resources am hoping someone in this group might have the answer I'm looking for! I have a pair of Pioneer HPM-100 speakers. I was looking up vintage advertisements, and came across...
  8. rocketrobo

Interesting Stereo Ads? Post a pic for memory lane's sake.

Earlier in this thread there is a Pioneer HPM-100 ad featuring a musician (?) by the name of Jim Sanderson. Anyone have an idea who he was? I can't find any reference anywhere. It's no big deal, I have a set of HPM-100 and this bit of trivia got me curious!
  9. rocketrobo

Interesting Stereo Ads? Post a pic for memory lane's sake.

I rebuilt one of these Bogens a few years ago. I still have it - sounds pretty good for 57 years old! I don't think they threw a whole lot of money at the advertising budget. Bogen is still very much in business, it has a pretty substancial footprint in the commercial and professional sound...
  10. rocketrobo

I believe the plastic backs were introduced with the V2 models. I have not had the pleasure of comparing the older vs the newer models. gregmcm offered a pretty positive opinion in this thread: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/paradigm-titan-v2.749734/
  11. rocketrobo

Tivoli Audio Henry Kloss Model One AM/FM Radio

I did that as well. It definitely helped! Still seems a bit finicky for a table-top radio. But ... it definitely sounds really good!
  12. rocketrobo

Tivoli Audio Henry Kloss Model One AM/FM Radio

These little radios are well known for sounding great, looking cool, and having great reception. They are the perfect size for a kitchen radio. You can easily find any number of remarkably glowing reviews online. I bought mine second hand off Craigslost. Looked fine, but when I got it home and...
  13. rocketrobo

JDS Labs Element - DAC - how to open?

Closing this thread. The Element is almost all surface mount and I don't have that type of equipment or skill. However, the excellent folks at JDS offer a quite reasonable upgrade to their Element II model, using your existing power supply, case, and power supply. Their customer service seems to...
  14. rocketrobo

JDS Labs Element - DAC - how to open?

I have a JDS Labs Element 1.53 DAC / headphone amp, it makes a bit of a scratchy noise sometimes. Taking the base off, it looks like there is some capacitor leakage under the board. I'm able to troubleshoot this, and to replace anything that needs it. Does anyone know how to open the unit to...
  15. rocketrobo

Orsen, I'm from Vancouver originally. I had a pair of PSB alphas ... as well as the Paradigms. After years of listening, I decided I liked them both, but the Titans edged it out with slightly better imaging.
  16. rocketrobo

Thanks, Pete. The original stuffing was just a chunk of fiberglass right behind the woofer ... maybe I went to far the other direction. I'll try your direction.
  17. rocketrobo

bcbud3, I'm from North Van originally ... so hi! I kind of agree, it's hard to beat the hit of a large driver. My regular speakers are Pioneer HPM-100, which can go from light classical to Wake The Neighbours in nothing flat. But in the office, it's nice to have something without the same room...
  18. rocketrobo

I hooked them up to a vintage rebuilt Bogen tube amp for a listen. The measured impedance (before and after) is 4.2 ohms, so I used the 4 ohm tap on the amp. Overall, they sound just great. No question they are tighter, and both the highs and lows have benefited from the rebuild. Female vocal...
  19. rocketrobo

I added a piece of closet rail across the cabinet to reinforce it. The volume of the brace should be small enough as to not affect the sound. Volume (inside dimensions) – 12H x 6.75W x 8D = 648 cubic inches Volume of cylindrical brace: 8.2 cubic inches (1.2% of total volume) I added a bit more...
  20. rocketrobo

The National Resource Council of Canada has a world class anechoic chamber that they make available to commercial companies for research. [from Wikipedia] Since 1974 Paul Barton of PSB Speakers used the NRC's world-class measurement facilities, their anechoic chamber. By the 1980s more...
  21. rocketrobo

Bundled up the new crossovers similar to the old ones, and zip tied them together. Another couple of ties and adhesive base screwed into the board to secure them in place. (before and after shown)
  22. rocketrobo

Found the right speaker wire (terminal cup) replacement. BLUECELL 1 Pair 3-Inch Double Binding Round Gold Plate Push Spring Loaded Jacks Speaker Box Terminal Cup The old one came out with some pressure, the new one popped right in. Printed off new label reproductions while I was at it.
  23. rocketrobo

The crossover is pretty basic - an iron-core inductor, one resistor, and two caps in parallel. No fancy circuit board, just components soldered together and glued in a bundle. I wasn't able to figure out the inductance of L1, but thought there was an opportunity to install better quality caps...
  24. rocketrobo

Time to source the parts. The surrounds were easy to find: Springfield Speaker 6.5" Foam Surround Edge Repair Kit - Compatible with Paradigm Titan, Titan v.2, Titan v.3, 9518 Many threads on how to re-foam, it's pretty easy, just follow the instructions and be patient. The woofer was stamped...
  25. rocketrobo

The port tube is a very strong cardboard. I thought about replacing it, but couldn't find a good commercial one and there was no PVC size match. I didn't want to mess with the sound, so I left it alone. Both woofer surrounds were completely disintegrated. The crossover was screwed and glued...
Back
Top Bottom