Search results

1. Rapidan

Andy Gill has passed away.

So very sad to hear. They were a huge influence. RIP.
  2. Rapidan

Finally got this system dialed in, for now.....

, They are a bit forward, like their Altec ancestors, but more refined. They sound like a lot of the JBL monitors of their era, but without the ear-bleeding highs. The imaging and soundstage are spooky good. Downsides, the sweet spot is rather small, and there's a tiny band of slight harshness...
  3. Rapidan

It was actually pretty straightforward - The original configuration was a third lid in the center with the radio/preamp facing up, the amp down inside and speakers in that center section. I ended up removing the center panel to accommodate the 19" rack, which fits neatly. I made the center lid...
  4. Rapidan

It is Audirvana, a Mac-specific music player. It can work with or without iTunes/Apple Music and supposedly does a better job. I have not critically A/B tested it against iTunes, but it works well.
  5. Rapidan

Hi folks, long time since I posted on my main system, I have changed a lot. Basic setup is a hacked/gutted Grundig console. There's a Mac Mini where the reel to reel used to be, and in place of the crappy Dual table there's now a Thorens TD-166, sporting a Shure VST-V with a JICO SAS stylus...
  6. Rapidan

How old were you when you got your first McIntosh?

I was about 25, 1982 or so. Working in a local 16 track studio recording DC area punk bands. I also had a little 8 track home studio. We pulled about 30 MC-60s out of the National Gallery of Art in DC, they had been part of a self guided tour audio setup and had been replaced by Rent-A-Walkmans...
  7. Rapidan

Show your JBLs off

I would like to do that. I started my JBL/Mac journey around 1982. Here's my little home studio from back then, MC60s and L100s. In the second pic, look sharp at the bottom of the left rack and you'll see a pair of Altec 436C tube compressors. Tube stuff was still cheap back then, just beginning...
  8. Rapidan

Show your JBLs off

Thank you. Nope, probably not. But I had a chance at the second 275 so I took it. They came from the same owner. So I'm having fun with them. Bridging them did seem to add a bit of lower end grunt, but that could all be in my head. I may sell off one of 'em at some point but winter is coming...
  9. Rapidan

Show your JBLs off

UREI 809s driven by bridged Mc275s. Pretty happy with this setup. Not visible in the pic is a JBL LSR310 powered sub, which adds the bit of extra low end the UREIs need. I sometimes swap in a pair of 4412s which I like but I've really come to prefer the UREIs. Other gear is a Thorens TD166 MKII...
  10. Rapidan

Which UREIs and why?

Howdy @300man . I'm currently running a pair of 809s in my main rig and I really like them. I think the sonic signature of all the UREIs is similar, the 811s and 813s have a little more bass weight but they are all much alike. All the 809s are "JBL era", while the 11s and 13s started with modded...
  11. Rapidan

DMV folks...Where you at?

Herndon here, Falls Church native and I've know Brett for years, coincidentally just met Corey at Music Tech and will be taking him an analog console to freshen up. We've done a number of get togethers large and small over the years, all were fun. Where were you guys when I was selling my 4435s...
  12. Rapidan

MC 275, which era do I want?

Well, thanks for all that. If you go back to my original post, you'll see that I wasn't asking for opinions on the sound, merely which of two specific amps I should pick from. Now I've chosen the older one, and I'm quite satisfied! On another sad note, here is the email I received from...
  13. Rapidan

I did give a little extra, it was largely an elaborate trade / barter. They were both very good deals, and both parties are happy. This is the pre he used with the 275s, I'm going to give it a spin both with the Mac and a few SS amps I have. Supposed to have a very nice phono section which is...
  14. Rapidan

OK, I got her home. It'll be a few days before I can really dig into it, but overall condition is quite good. The lettering is not completely worn off, but damn hard to read. This week I'll pop the bottom off and see what kind of caps were used in the last recap. Dig the Mac Clinic sticker from...
  15. Rapidan

Bill, I will as soon as I bring her home. It'll likely be in the next week or so.
  16. Rapidan

Another thanks to all. I have settled in on the older amp for the moment, owner is not quite ready to give up the other one yet. Perhaps in time. I'll have first dibs, he says. Grabbed the serial #, it is 275-10126. They started at 10001 apparently. We have an email in to McIntosh to see if...
  17. Rapidan

Keyboard through Minimus 7 Speakers

My son used a set of JBL Control 1s and a T-amp with his digital piano in a small NYC apartment. It worked as well as you might expect, not much bass but decent for monitoring when he got sick of wearing cans all the time. I can't imagine that Minimus 7s would be that much different. He has...
  18. Rapidan

Thanks again, everyone, I really appreciate it. Y'all have really helped me solidify my thoughts on this - You are either sage audio gurus or enablers, but either way, I'm going to jump into this as far as I can. I will keep you posted, as soon as we get a deal done. Wish me luck!
  19. Rapidan

Thanks to all who replied. Food for thought indeed! I'm helping this gentleman set up a simpler solid-state system with bookshelf speakers and an internet tuner. We were listening to a few pieces this morning and I learned a little more. Both units were re-capped with polypropylene and...
  20. Rapidan

Hello Mac experts, I have a pretty simple question. I have the opportunity to acquire a MC275 from a gentleman who owns two of them. One is a very early one, supposedly it was the demo unit at the Audio Show in DC for the introduction of the model. The second one is from near the end of the...
  21. Rapidan

Hey Rob, Paul Kearney here, long time no see! I have an interesting discovery to share with you...

Hey Rob, Paul Kearney here, long time no see! I have an interesting discovery to share with you, send me an email when you see this and I'll lay it out. Take care! PK wccanoe@gmail.com
  22. Rapidan

Hi, is your Sylvania 12AT7 quad still available? I'd like to roll these through a tube...

Hi, is your Sylvania 12AT7 quad still available? I'd like to roll these through a tube compressor! Also looking for interesting 12AX7 pairs or quads and interesting 6AK5 tubes, thank you! Paul (Rapidan)
  23. Rapidan

Mid Atlantic AK Gathering Middletown, Md - May 21st, 2016

Looks like I am gonna make it! So happy to see the gang again! I have a small pile of gear I can bring, including some interesting pro gear, some is perfect and some needs work. I'll put a partial list on the Bartertown thread, or PM me. Oh, and I'll bring some well iced beer and a cooler.
  24. Rapidan

Mid Atlantic AK Gathering Middletown, Md - May 21st, 2016

Jim, thanks so much for doing this again. I haven't seen any of the gang in quite some time, so I hope to do so if schedule permits. I'm also helping a pal sell off some vintage pro gear, so will post in the gathering swap tables thread and see if there's interest. Best to all, Paul
  25. Rapidan

UREI Speaker Project

Good stuff! I hope they play well for you. I need to get off my a$$ and put the new surrounds on mine - the old ones are still intact but won't pass the "pinch test". Maybe this weekend before the snow melts.
Back
Top Bottom