Search results

1. Multiplex

Jensen Imperial Model D questions

Good question. I am not actively seeking out another one, but don't think I wouldn't absolutely love to find one in good condition that is an identical match! Trouble is, I think that would be about like winning the lottery. You could order different cabinet combinations with different finishes...
  2. Multiplex

Sounds like yours has the heavier duty speaker! That was a pretty expensive option back in the day. What you are saying makes sense. I have been extra careful not to drive it hard or abuse it in any way. Even when properly wired through the transformer, this speaker is only rated at 16 watts...
  3. Multiplex

Very cool! I think your speaker cabinet is very much the same design internally and probably from about the same era. Yours looks to be the utility variant, and mine is the deluxe walnut finish. Have you ever dated yours? Maybe I should check out the existing matching transformer more closely...
  4. Multiplex

Gonna give this a lil' bump. Unfortunately, most of the people who knew anything about these speakers are probably long gone. I'm still hopin' that someone here might have something to share. The specific cabinet model appears to be the RD-153. And I'll include another pic, for the fun of it...
  5. Multiplex

Thanks for the links. I have poked around online and found a kind of rough date range from about 1947 to 1949, or maybe '50. I was hoping that I could use the numbers on the speaker to narrow it down. There used to be a paper label stapled to the back of the cabinet, but it is long gone.
  6. Multiplex

Oh I forgot to add this photo...
  7. Multiplex

A few weeks ago, I found a fairly clean late 1940's era Jensen Imperial model D cabinet at a thrift store. It has the original 16 watt permanent magnet Jensen JHP-52 speaker with coaxial cone tweeter. At first, it was wired into a matching transformer in the bottom of the cabinet that put the...
  8. Multiplex

Cartridge Tracking Battle - Interesting!

That's a good body. The Black stylus will fit and it will work. Just don't expect it to perform like the original stylus did. Much of the magic of that cart was in the original stylus, as it was nude with a more advanced tip profile. The more basic Black stylus will still sound pretty good. It...
  9. Multiplex

Clearly, it's not the S shape that is the problem. It's just that it was a popular design from the 70's into the early 80's, (even later on DJ decks,) and most S-arms are mid-mass or higher. So I was just saying that having S arm is usually a quick way to identify that a Grado probably won't be...
  10. Multiplex

Congratulations... You are literally slamming on the cheapest entry-level cartridge that Grado has ever made! It was only $13 new. It's conical tip and fat cantilever is not at all representative of Grado's product line. It was made for entry level changers and the such. But I can also tell...
  11. Multiplex

This video has been around a while, but it is interesting. It also depends on tonearm mass/cartridge compliance matching. The Grado might perform better on a lighter tonearm, particularly one that is damped. Grados are finicky, known for not liking mid-mass S shaped tonearms, and being easily...
  12. Multiplex

AT-VM95EN vs AT-VM95SH: Blind test comparison (w/ audio samples)

Ever try adding parallel resistance loading? Loading that stylus at around 30-34k tames the brightness back a little, and helps "fatten up" the tone. That way, you can have good tone and still get the benefits from the ML- like better resolution, lower IGD, better tracking and longer stylus...
  13. Multiplex

Potentially stupid question...

I would definitely be inclined to suspect electronics rather than the motor itself. I'm not sure about Yamaha specifically, but most direct drive motors have quite a lot of poles. If the windings were fail on just one, it seems unlikely that it would quit completely, but who knows... If the...
  14. Multiplex

Is a Sumiko Oyster Cartridge worth new Stylus

Sure! LP Gear has it here: https://www.lpgear.com/product/SUMIKOOYSTERSAS.html
  15. Multiplex

I'm sure that would really wake it up. It makes me wonder how good the body design is, and what level of quality the coils are. Would it sound as good as a Shure with an SAS? Then again... For a while Jico was selling a complete SAS cartridge. Maybe they still are, I don't know. But it looked...
  16. Multiplex

Not a fan of the Oyster personally, at least not in it's stock form. I'd say you have several better quality cartridges already. In fact, I'd personally tend to believe that even the lowly VM95C you have is better. I'd personally rather save the money for an upgrade stylus for it. Get an ML and...
  17. Multiplex

AudioKarma Member Bimasta Has Passed

Guess I haven't been around here much, as I took a bit of a hiatus until recently. Didn't see this until now. Very sad news. We lost a good one. :( I don't know why I feel surprised as I do, but I suppose he struck me as more youthful than his age. May he rest in peace.
  18. Multiplex

Vinyl Records Just Had Their Biggest Week Since 1991

Vinyl definitely is not as big as it once was, but I don't think any physical music format ever will be again. And, not just because of music streaming. The way that people consume media has changed a great deal from around 1980 when vinyl peaked. It's amazing how many more gizmos and types of...
  19. Multiplex

Young people are indeed into experiences... I would consider the ritual of vinyl playback an experience, in and of itself. This is particularly true for those who get involved with hi-fi and vinyl at more of a hobby level. The upgrading, setting up and tweaking of a great sounding system is an...
  20. Multiplex

I stream a lot, and I usually love it when I do. Streaming has introduced me to a lot of new music I never would've heard otherwise. Yet, I also love unplugging and leaving the digital realm for a little while, every now and then. I feel like enough that I do is monitored, data mined, and...
  21. Multiplex

I think I ruined my Shure V15 TII

The basic M-91E (not ED) or M93E cartridge body with the aluminum clip will accept nearly any flat-bottom stylus. It can also accept most V-body styli, especially if you don't mind trimming a little plastic on the grip. You can stick damn near anything in it except for M-44, V-15 IV or V15 V styli.
  22. Multiplex

Prediction: 2022 the year of cheap used turntables and record players

Funny thing... I'm 40 as well. Our age group was caught up right in the sweet spot of the vinyl revival. We got to some of the cool vintage stuff before it got totally stupid, and we got into some of the vinyl before it got completely ridiculous. I started from humble beginnings though- a...
  23. Multiplex

I don't entirely disagree. Just sayin' that there's more to all of this than just the Crosley Cruiser. I actually like the Techmoan theory. I remember watching that very scene in Lost with great interest. There's no doubt that show enhanced vinyl's presence in pop culture. I still believe there...
  24. Multiplex

The vinyl revival did not start because of Crosley. I personally believe it started because of the push to "digitize your vinyl" back in the early 2000s. People were digging their old turntables out of closets and buying early USB turntables, like those that Ion, Sony and Audio Technica made...
  25. Multiplex

Yup. What's the point? Pretty sure that ship has sailed. It's a bit of a tangent from this thread... But my girlfriend still likes CDs, so I was trying to find a specific title from a local store right before Christmas. Not a chance! Most stores have stopped carrying CDs period, and the...
Back
Top Bottom