1. tom3

√˜˜ Last name, First letter for next famous person

Zamfir Castlevania
  2. tom3

Perry Como.
  3. tom3

Tool Time: Electric Impact Wrenches

For anything serious I grab air wrench, get the compressor running to max pressure and hit it, either take out the bolt or break it off. Sometimes with captured nuts or inserts I'll use the breaker bar to be a bit more gentle, mess up those and there's a real problem.
  4. tom3

Looking for a build schematic, PP 6v6gt with 6SN7 splitter, 5Y3 rect. for monoblock project

Several years ago I picked up these Dukane PA amps with a box of extra tubes. These were used in a drive through deal with magnetic mics and transducers. They do power up and work as is but they are two channel SET amps with output transformers to suit, not much for sound. Like to reuse the...
  5. tom3

What year is this Zenith ???

Kind of surprising to see that little amp in the big console. Must have some real high efficiency speakers in it. How does it sound?
  6. tom3

You Get The Last Word!

Killed with kindness, a domestic tragedy.
  7. tom3

You Get The Last Word!

Weekends were made for, um, Beer.
  8. tom3

You Get The Last Word!

(got to be quick on this game)
  9. tom3

You Get The Last Word!

“Away thou rag, thou quantity, thou remnant.”
  10. tom3

I joined the Elac Miracord 50H club!

A conical stylus plays worn records well, good for 45s too. The eliptical stylus plays good records with better sound quality and tracks lightly, say 3gm for the conical and 1gm for the eliptical. I'm using a 444E stylus on the 444 cart on the Elac and it tracks nice at 3/4 gram and sounds...
  11. tom3

I joined the Elac Miracord 50H club!

Best to just do a generic search ie Elac Spindle and sift through the listings. You'll want the white stacker as shown above for the 45s. One like this for a single play:
  12. tom3

Sonny Bono
  13. tom3

Magnificent Magnavox 1ST208F & AMP 175

I had that same console a while back. Spent some time and a few dollars on it to get it as good as it might have been when new. Big sound with the 15" woofers. Found a MPX unit and got the tuner dialed in. But the actual sound quality sure didn't measure up to a good solid state receiver to my...
  14. tom3

Test Subwoofer Low Notes

I've used online sweeps with my 3000A receiver and basement speakers and get a low down to 10hz, not really a tone at that freq but really nice and smooth at 20hz or so. The online freqs seem to be pretty accurate and go way up beyond my hearing but a good microphone and tape deck monitor will...
  15. tom3

Vintage SS vs Modern Tube

I don't think any full tube circuit amp will outperform that Sansui. Not saying anything bad about tube amps for sure, but that "warm" tube sound is kind of misleading.
  16. tom3

Summit Electronics tube amp hifi?

Might want to price tubes for that too before considering a purchase.
  17. tom3

BMW and Mercedes, never again.

Watching a Road Kill episode the other day and they were abusing a Toyota SUV with all wheel drive. Got it pretty much stuck to find out it actually had a differential in the transfer case and no posi front/read differentials. Would up being a one wheel drive in the real slick stuff. Pretty...
  18. tom3

Haiku

Stereo playing loudly There is no one else around TURN IT UP SOME
  19. tom3

Help requested for Sansui 4000 receiver. Left channel out.

Using the reverse switch and the results shows the problem is in front of the driver amps. I'd compare readings from the normal channel to the weak and start back though the preamp circuits.
  20. tom3

List things you hate about the iPhone ...

I've had three or four LG Android phones, never a problem doing whatever I needed to do. Wife got me an iPhone to match up with hers. Does calls, texts, a couple apps that I use, takes good pictures. But when it comes to actually doing things with it I'm lost.
  21. tom3

NFL playoffs on streaming services

Now there's a town with some history!
  22. tom3

Heads-up sale thread - EstateSales and such

Wow. this was one excellent sale. Wonder what the Corvette went for. And the vintage stereo was very interesting. That was in driving distance for me but too late.
Back
Top Bottom