Search results

1. SPEC2man

Reconnecting With A Friend From My Youth And Vinyl

Mr P, You old softie. Great story, I had a similar experience but my friend ended up dieing on me. It was a sad tale but I was so glad we reconnected and got back into music. Doug and I had 10 great years together and I was there for him at the end. I'm amazed at how strong that friendship...
  2. SPEC2man

Huge On-Line Audio Auction, Cedar Lake Indiana

Did anyone else make it to the Christmas tree? I feel like I earned something ...
  3. SPEC2man

The Record Man: Ahmet Ertegun, Founder of Atlantic Records

Great article, I had always heard the name "Ahmet Ertegun" but never fully understood his contribution to so much of the music I love. I was aware of Jerry Wexler and I even toured the studios of Muscle Shoals. He had his fingerprints all over Muscle Shoals Music and Fame Studios. Funny how...
  4. SPEC2man

The Truth, no lie. My new personal audio assistant.

Hey, did someone say " AV garage unit, cement floor, canned beer sparkle? I'm IN !!!
  5. SPEC2man

Issues with a Dynaco MKIII - Need some help

I swapped the tubes from the good and bad amps - I didn't apply power due to the fact it was 95 degrees and the garage was unbearable. I will test them out Sunday morning - I have the bias turned all the way down and will let them warm for a few minutes before I touch anything, If they stay...
  6. SPEC2man

Thanks for the information, I have a set of KT-120s but I haven't cracked the boxes yet. In addition to the Mac 75's I'm also running Quicksilver V4's - hence the need to stockpile lots of output tubes. I bought the KT-120's for the V4's. I think the V4's will even run the KT-150's but I'm...
  7. SPEC2man

Funny you mentioned that, I was sitting drinking coffee watching the sunrise and that very thought popped into my head. Of course - use the good tubes from amp A and see how things roll in the suspect amp B. I'm an idiot - my troubleshooting skills have 25 years of rust on them. As for the...
  8. SPEC2man

Picked up a quad of kt88's for my Mac 75's - I will use one of the old pairs (working perfectly) to test the MKIII. Interested in hearing the new Telefunken KT-88 - spendy little buggers. O'h the sacrifices we make for our brothers.
  9. SPEC2man

This weekend I'll pull a fresh pair of KT-88 and see if the issue repeats itself. Step by step ... there problem is in there somewhere. Worst case - I buy the new driver boards and have at it. I'm slightly intimidated but I'll have time this fall - I have one more 150 foot fir tree to deal...
  10. SPEC2man

Well it's not great news ... I plugged the second amp in with no source, I let it come up for maybe 45 seconds, I checked the bias - it initially showed 5.3 volts - so I killed the power. Nothing got too hot and the tube heaters did start to light up. I double checked the bias pot and set to...
  11. SPEC2man

I got the bias set and the amp ran for 3-4 hours straight. Seem to distort a bit at high volume but that might just be normal and I'm not sure of the age of the Gold Lions I plugged in. I will have my brother purchase a new set of output tubes - I stuck JJ 12AU7's and EH 12BH7's - if he wants...
  12. SPEC2man

The good amp is up and running - tested for 1-2 minutes no signal. Then hooked it up and ran it for 2-3 songs. Sounds great. Time to check the bias. Is it as simple as plugging in the meter with banana plugs and measuring 1.56 VDC?
  13. SPEC2man

I checked the picture and proceeded : The good amp has a new precision bias resistor, 1000V 390pf capacitor installed, 1 K resistor soldered back in place and the electrolytic cap is soldered back in place. I'm going to fire it up - any last words of wisdom? I have the bias pot turned all...
  14. SPEC2man

I think I finally have the time to do some work. My brother is coming over tomorrow to check my progress. Attached are some pics - The first picture is the jumper I soldered in, to tie one of the electrolytics to the trace. I think it should work. The second picture is of the bias...
  15. SPEC2man

I have all the stuff and I am going to dive in a bit this afternoon. One of the bigger electrolytics came lose and it looks like the end of the trace has disappeared, so I need to take the lead as it pokes through the board and extend it 1/6 of an inch to meet the trace. It's going to be...
  16. SPEC2man

OK, big tree is down and the next one to go is not scheduled until September 6th. I have a little bit of time to attempt rescue attempt number 1. He is what I believe has to be done : For Reference : AMP 1 - The working amp. AMP 2 - The amp with the burned resistor that stopped working. 1...
  17. SPEC2man

Thanks Andy, that's a very kind offer and I might just take you up on it. The resistors arrived from Dynakitparts already. Man that was fast. I might have to put the parts swap on hold for a bit. I have two 140 foot douglas fir trees coming down next weekend. It's going to be a ton of work...
  18. SPEC2man

Do you mind if I ask the significance of the codes? What does it tell you? I am just curious. Haven't been out in the garage in three days ... temp jumped to 103 then 98,98 and today should be mid 90/s. No AC out there and I've been dragging my sorry butt home exhausted. I see shipping...
  19. SPEC2man

OK here goes : P782 P782 A431 A431
  20. SPEC2man

Parts are on the way - I understand you are just giving me the best advice you can and this is a risk, that being said I REALLY appreciate everyone's input and I am having fun with this. I'm sure my brother would have been tagged with a bill of at least $200 if the technician he talked to...
  21. SPEC2man

My brother did take it in at least once and performed bias check regularly - he knew that much. I must have misread the BROWN stripe for RED on the torched resistor, which makes sense. They can be hard to distinguish for me as my eyes aren't that great. Thank you for catching that. I have...
  22. SPEC2man

I pulled the trigger and purchased the resistors and the capacitors. I grabbed a solder sucking tool and as painful as it was - dropped a ton on a roll of solder. It will probably last me a long, long time so buy once, cry once. Pulled the one leg of the resistor I marked as "R8" and it...
  23. SPEC2man

Thank you for the link to the capacitor and all the help. I'm going to re-read all the post tonight ... really interesting stuff. A question about soldering : I'm putting a Mouser order together and I am wondering if I should pick up a roll of solder while I am at it - I'm not sure what is...
  24. SPEC2man

I went ahead and drew a layout of the resistors on the top and then noted the expected value and the measured value - I noticed the burnt resistor value on the good amp is not in spec (if I did my math correctly). It's been so long since I've looked at a resistor they added another band. I...
  25. SPEC2man

So I opened one up but I've been called into work tomorrow so no extensive work tonight. I did notice the badge on the front "ACME Labs M.V.N.Y." Google didn't seem to take me anywhere. I will take better pics tomorrow and see if I can find some info on the board. Thanks,
Back
Top Bottom