Search results

1. bharper

Little Bear Tube Phono Pre??

I did not study the schematic, looking at the board from the top I did not see that the heaters were dc, its rectifier, or filter. My bad. However, one sand resistor per heater supply is really all that is needed to put the voltage where you want it, and then no possible switching noise...
  2. bharper

Little Bear Tube Phono Pre??

The LB looks like a nice piece, I have been considering one..... After just reading this whole thread I have a few questions/ideas. First, on using back to back diodes to drop the heater voltages. To me, with the filaments being AC, there are certainly better ways to deal with this. Get...
  3. bharper

Speaker stands from scratch begin

I think I would go with four rubber feet, why do you need spikes on something this heavy, just to tear up the wood floor? It is also heavy enough I am not sure why you would fill it. Brian
  4. bharper

Amp project for Kappa 8.1

keep in mind you will need an external electronic crossover, like an ashley...
  5. bharper

quest for amplification

There is a bryston 3b over there for $375...
  6. bharper

quest for amplification

There is a Bryston 4b on audiogon for $600, that would be sweet. Might find some Parasounds in your budget range. I bought a 2200 mkII a few months ago for less than $400 (and wass lucky to get it at that price).
  7. bharper

Fixing up Altec 1569A

frankenstein version of 1569......
  8. bharper

A nice freebie surprise

Steven Bender I believe it is has some high end mod kits for the st120 that are supposed to do fantastic things to the 120...
  9. bharper

Stacking: Only for Advents?

Stacked Carver AL 3+'s
  10. bharper

Do aged filter caps really affect sound?

I bet it was caused by bad caps....
  11. bharper

Can I use RG-6/u 18awg 75ohm with solid copper center to build RCA interconnects?

I use mainly rg62u, it is a 93 ohm cable that was used for arcnet networking. Considerably less capacitance per foot than the red canare coax. It is a lot lower cap than rg58 or rg59 too.
  12. bharper

Something Big, with Tubes....

outputs look like 4-125's, that would make a couple of cute se amps... See the 866's, and a couple of mil spec 5r4's. That would have been either around 50-60mhz, or 150mhz FM... Probably 150-250 watts carrier.
  13. bharper

Down and Dirty amp build

why not do your steampunk deal on this one? did you get the crossover punked?
  14. bharper

Anyone know what this power supply is for?

it was not for teletype, at least not the older types, like model 15 and 28. The current loop was typically from a 150 volt dc source, and ran 60 milliamps...
  15. bharper

Always Wanted a B&O of some sort, and now I have one!

the old brown electrolytics need to go, they fail....
  16. bharper

Is this normal?

I would be more worried about fast cycling it. Perhaps try another 12ax7?
  17. bharper

Beefing up power supplies

I would stick with the tubes, you could add capacitance after the choke and not flash the rectifier, if you keep it reasonable. The GZ34 is also a 'slow start' rectifier, that delays the hv from coming up instantly. Upgrading the critical coupling caps to something like auricaps would probably...
  18. bharper

Old vs New:Yamaha MX-1 or Parasound HCA 2200 Mkii?

I have not heard the mx-1, but did used to have a B1, and now I have four big parasounds if that tells you anything. Most of the parasounds are 130v/microsecond slew rate, and 800 or more on dampening, and sound quite good. The only way I could understand why the above 110 watt rotel would...
  19. bharper

Unraveling the RS4.5 crossover mechanics

As I have previously recommended to many, getting rid of the electrolytic in series with the emim's is, as you found, a big upgrade. I believe a lot of the grit I was getting from some ss amps over the years was partly due to that cap. I used some solens, and one other brand, to make up the...
  20. bharper

Bryston 4B needs to shape up!

if it is running that hot, you better check with your tech to see if he set the bias correctly....
  21. bharper

Stinky Parasound....

Just got in an epay HCA-2200 MK II, with an interesting feature. It stinks! No, not cap or resistor burnt smell, it smells like a french hoe... With a little soapy smell added in, and gets worse when it gets warm. There was some brown powder in it, a little bigger than say a grain of...
  22. bharper

Power supply capacitor failure

The problem with Chinese caps is even though they do have a very high capacitance vs size, they have little tolerance to overvoltage, max surge voltage is nill compared to domestic or japanese caps. Excede the working voltage, and they will thermally run away and self destruct. Had four of six...
  23. bharper

tube vs transistor sound - stirirng the pot

a few quotes from John Curl..... " Harmonic Perception I don't know of any definitive info that demands a seriies of harmonics in a cartain way, EXCEPT that higher order odd components are very bad. This includes 7th, 9th, etc. However, I agree with the right to state the opinion that...
  24. bharper

Thanks Wayne for your comments and clairty. What I was trying to express was not faithful reproduction of harmonics of the source, but harmonics created by distortion, as was not in the original source. I totally agree that the source should be reproduced accurately. An example of distortion...
  25. bharper

ok, time to display my ignorance.... that should be very easy! My pleasure to correspond with you Mr. Chou. In your opening post, one thing I would initially question was regarding 5% of third harmonic distortion, and hearing that. If that were second harmonic, I would welcome it, but I...
Back
Top Bottom