Search results

1. kx250rider

Say goodbye to $2 CA Hass Avocados!

Never fear... Next year I'm only going to burn a mountain of old tires, and give a $1000 grant to Monsanto :yes:
  2. kx250rider

Say goodbye to $2 CA Hass Avocados!

Just a warning for anyone who likes large CA Hass avocados... They'll be about doubling in price for next year. Why? See photo of our August water bill!!! (And that's for 14 planted acres; a total of 1200 trees). For reference, the same trees required more water than this in previous years...
  3. kx250rider

How do you carry your smartphone?

Front right pocket for mine (iPhone). I never put anything else in the same pocket so that the phone won't get scratched. I used to have belt clips, but I was constantly damaging doorframes and furniture by hooking the phone on them, and I even took a bad fall and broke my wrist by catching...
  4. kx250rider

Ready to retrofit your car for a backup camera?

Let me clear something up which I didn't mention in my earlier post: I've always liked backup cameras as an auxiliary device; NEVER to replace looking over the shoulder AND in all available mirrors. All of these things are our responsibility as a good driver, and failing to do any or all of...
  5. kx250rider

Ready to retrofit your car for a backup camera?

I've been installing them in my own and friends' vehicles for about 20 years. I did my first one on my lifted '79 Toyota 4x4 truck, because there's a bad blind spot directly behind (even to see an adult standing up). It's easy to do, and the camera itself is about $25- $75 depending on the...
  6. kx250rider

Anyone collect vintage Portable CRT TV's ?

That one's in NICE shape! I like early Trinitrons, and I have the very VERY first one; the KV-7010U. There's controversy about what year that one came out (they might have sold it for 3 or 4 years), but it's appx 1967. I have the plastic cased version of yours; the KV-1200U, but not the wood...
  7. kx250rider

Cruise control

I've never used mine; even on long trips (I just drove from Los Angeles to Dallas straight through; arrived last night). I just don't like any aspect of the car being controlled by a computer; even though a tap of the brake or flick of the thumb shuts it off instantly. We drove my wife's '12...
  8. kx250rider

Happy Birthday kx250rider!

Thanks! Glad I'm still alive and kicking at this old age, LOL. I did't get on the forum yesterday... On way to Dallas, so I'm trying out our mobile broadband connection from LA to Dallas (I-10 route). So far, it blows iPhone 4g away . Charles
  9. kx250rider

Acres of "VERY old TVs and stereos", realtor said...

Looks like it's all moot at this point… Seller is playing games. We wrote the original offer, and they countered verbally, then we re-wrote to very close to their verbal, and they let the 48 hours expire. Their broker wanted them to take our offer, and he's annoyed that they are dragging their...
  10. kx250rider

Post Your Bike!

I just ate breakfast, and I'll retaliate by posting an HD video of my bloody gynecomastia surgery if anyone posts one like this again :yes: Charles
  11. kx250rider

As far as the contamination issues, I'm not phased by that stuff, and I've formed the opinion over my 46 years, that it's all about lawyers and fast cash, and very little to do with true hazards. I lived for 5 years right below the Rocketdyne nuclear meltdown site, and never gave it a thought...
  12. kx250rider

We wrote the counter-counter offer last night, and we stipulated that the seller will clear the lot of all debris at his cost, and under the local laws & codes. So whatever they do, it would be off of our responsibility. From what I've been told, about 98% of the stuff turned in at e-waste...
  13. kx250rider

Still in negotiation… The good thing is that the property has a legal sewer connection, which in Ventura County means that the septic tank had to be cleared and a bond paid up before the sewer connect permit was issued. I didn't see anything truly hazardous; just "politically" hazardous...
  14. kx250rider

This thread is about my generation getting older, I guess. My wife and I are looking casually for a place to buy and fix up to rent, with a large lot in an area where sooner or later it will re-zone for high-density housing and we'd sell to a developer later on. Long story short, a realtor...
  15. kx250rider

Show us your Motorcycles

I'm just glad that you don't have the problem, and that I solved the problem in a way that works fine for me ;-) Charles
  16. kx250rider

Show us your Motorcycles

You're just lucky! All I know is that every vehicle, lawnmower, generator, weedeater, motorcycle, etc. I own, has had it's fuel system disintegrate and either leak or plug up with e10 and e20 gas (all you can get in CA anymore at the pump). And those same vehicles have had no such problem with...
  17. kx250rider

Show us your Motorcycles

Makes me want to get mine back on the road… I got frustrated with having to rebuild the carbs every 2 months due to the ethanol problem when it started 2 years ago, and now that I figured out what went on, and I now use non-ethanol gas in my other vintage bikes, I can do the same with the V-Max...
  18. kx250rider

Vintage street bike

That bike would look good in my livingroom next to my "brand new" '86 VF1000R! Charles
  19. kx250rider

Vintage street bike

Nice! Looks like race bodywork; a little hard to recognize… Is that the 2-stroke triple? Charles
  20. kx250rider

What was your temp this morning ?

It froze all the way down to 49 here in Ventura County, CA last night. BRRRRRR! I had to put a T-shirt on to take the trash out. No improvement in sight either… Add to the misery an 82-degree breeze for early next week! Charles
  21. kx250rider

Water Skiers? Anybody?

I waterski'd a few times when I was late teens/early 20s, but I wasn't that good at it. I was OK on one ski, but I never mastered 2. A friend had a Glastron jet boat with a Ford 460, so I had an easy time getting up, which made it easier to learn than with a slower boat. Charles
  22. kx250rider

What are the signs of a blown headgasket?

Sometimes a leaky head gasket can be very hard to detect. I drove a Toyota truck with a leaky one for a year before I figured it out. It never mixed oil & water, but it would overheat at random; maybe once a month (regardless of weather). What was happening was that exhaust gas was being...
  23. kx250rider

Credit card data breach at Target

I shop there a lot, so I'll check my bill. I've had fraud on my Visa account more than twice, but B of A caught it before I found out, and they cut it off and sent me a new card each time. They said it was a random cloning; not anything to do with where I used the card. One previous time, a...
  24. kx250rider

E 15 Fuel: AAA Warning - Do NOT Use.

I have two vintage motorcycles, which have had their entire fuel systems destroyed by ethanol. One of them twice, because I was assured the ethanol wasn't the problem. It's bad stuff, and without getting political, all I can say is that the only benefit to ethanol is to create jobs for...
  25. kx250rider

Heading to LA - need some advice

Record Surplus on W. Pico Blvd. in West LA (zip 90064). It's just east of Barrington Ave. on the north side of Pico. Been there for decades, and I know a lot of people who find great stuff there. Definitely check to see that they're still there, and at the same location "just in case". Charles
Back
Top Bottom