Search results

1. D

Garrard 401 dimensions

Subchannel, mine measures 13 mm for the main part of the base and 15 mm to the top of the control panel trim. The edge of the base tilts slightly inward so if you make a 90 degree cut, there will be a slight gap at the top. I didn’t try to measure that angle. Maybe someone else knows and might...
  2. D

Some Empire Turntable History

What the other Doug said. Doug
  3. D

How to fix a Fidelity Research FR-24 (MK2), in not so good shape?

I’m glad to be able to help. There are downloadable manuals and set up guides available on VE. Otherwise, the mounting distance is 230 mm and the overhang is 15 mm. The alignment is Stevenson or close. Baerwald may involve a bit of cart twisting. Enjoy the music. Doug
  4. D

How to fix a Fidelity Research FR-24 (MK2), in not so good shape?

Welcome to the club. I’m an owner, not an expert. Very nice arm and more than worth some TLC. However, that said I wouldn’t put a lot of effort into that arm at first. I suggest disregarding the anti-skate for the moment - it will be difficult to replace since the thread goes inside the arm...
  5. D

So why do like a conical needles?

Because the stylus is at the end of the cantilever, it swings through an arc meaning those illustrations are inaccurate, misleading marketing nonsense despite being regurgitated as gospel for decades. Doug
  6. D

Garrard 301 Rimless Ivory Schedule 1/A New Project & Plinth Build

That project is already beautiful. Is that a Vintage Gray arm, maybe one of the NEAT variants, or possibly a Karmadon? A friend of mine and I have been toying with versions of cardanic bearings. The one on the 401 is based on a universal joint and works better than it looks.
  7. D

Here is my 401. There are three layers of plywood inside. The ABS feet have racket balls for isolation, which works pretty well. When I got it, it had a 50 Hz capstan and the brake disc dragged a bit. A new capstan from England and a slight adjustment of the disc and it behaved nicely. Later, I...
  8. D

People who insist on showing clean well organized shops should be banned. Now that I’ve got that off my chest, I’m looking forward to seeing your completed 301 project. I finished a 401 plinth about a year ago and found that the 301/401 tables reward any effort many times over. Doug
  9. D

Garrard 301/401 owners club!

Ferdinand, First, congratulations on your new Garrard. That’s a beautiful TT. The extra magnet on the brake is a good idea and I’ll remember it. If the platter is spinning at 45 with two lines of adjustment, I wouldn’t be concerned. The idler won’t spin very long because it doesn’t have...
  10. D

Need help with cart/stylus id.

If I read correctly, the OP just got a Technics SL-1600. The specs I found say the arm has an eff. mass of 22 gr. That’s more than a bit high for that cartridge and there are lots of reasonably priced - as much as anything is now - more suitable carts available. Doug
  11. D

please help, how to remove headshell socket from tone arm

From the photo, you seem to have already pulled the screw. If you have a headshell you can maybe sacrifice, attach it to the collar and twist gently. After that, maybe penetrating lubricants or heat from a hairdryer. I’ve worked on collars that were everywhere from just fell out to ain’t no...
  12. D

Musicmaster Point Two Five TT

I don’t notice if somebody else already said this, but both the TT and TA were made by NEAT in Japan. They got rebadged about a dozen times in the U.S. If I’d seen that, at a more reasonable price, I’d have snapped it up even though I have several idlers. Congratulations on both TTs and even...
  13. D

Tonearm bearing cones, black - polishable ?

Thanks for the helpful replies. I have the same problem on a different arm. Doug
  14. D

The challenge of classical records, advice?

Pauln, Thanks very much for your explanation of violin “crackle.” It’s always distracting and sometimes painful. There’s always the possibility it’s my system or ears, but you’ve given me a way to test that. Doug
  15. D

ID the Shure Cart

JJCavillo, shure m97 replacement stylus chart The link should take you to a Shure brochure for the M97. Scroll down for the stylus information. Lots of other interesting information, too.
  16. D

Garrard 401 eddy brake removal help

Good luck with your project. My 401 gets pride of place in my system since I got it tuned up and in a new plinth.
  17. D

The manual says to oil the motor spindle from the top through the holes in the disc, but also says unless there is a strong indication of a need for oil, don't. The bearings are oilite or similar, which retrain oil. I've never oiled mine, but it appears the oil just goes to the motor spindle...
  18. D

Same for the 401. If you're working from the top with the motor still in the chassis, you'll have to remove the capstan, rotate the brake magnet, and back off the set screws. If you don't have an owners manual, they're available free at Vinyl Engine.
  19. D

Can Anyone I.D. This Tonearm?

I used the pin end of a broken 7-pin tube for a replacement on one of these arms. Soldering to the steel isn't easy but it works.
  20. D

Marc Morin - Rest In Peace Our Friend

Marc, The comments from guys who know you well confirm my impressions from reading your posts. I hope the New Year brings you the fullest possible recovery.
  21. D

Shure M3D

The N21D has approximately triple the compliance of the N3D and extends the FR from 15K to 20K, so it fills in the highs. Beyond that, your impression will be system/hearing dependent. It's important to remember to mount the M3D/M7D using an N212D on an arm with the appropriate EF. In my...
  22. D

Belt for Gray HSK-33?

Jack, Thank you. That will help and I appreciate it.
  23. D

Belt for Gray HSK-33?

Jack, Thanks for the photo. That bearing looks to be in excellent shape. This conversation inspired me to pull my Gray out of storage and it's actually in pretty good shape - mostly just dirty Would you do me a second favor and post a photo of the bearing well like the one I've posted...
  24. D

Belt for Gray HSK-33?

Jack, Sorry, my bad. 398s was supposed to mean plural, not a model. It's good to hear you're finding what you need to get that best up and running. Please let us know how it goes. Mine has a platter bearing problem I haven't solved so I've never heard it. Maybe you could help me: Would...
  25. D

Belt for Gray HSK-33?

The Gray 33 I have came with an excellent flat rubberized fabric belt. Belts for Empire 398s seem to be a good substitute. I suggest getting in touch with Michael at Esoteric Sound. The motor rides on four spherical rubber mounts - three on top and one below where the speed adjustment is. Sam...
Back
Top Bottom