Search results

1. RevMen

Room Treatment Calculation Guide

It looks like that's calculating room modes. A room mode is like a natural frequency of a room. Sound at that frequency will either be stronger or weaker than sound in other frequencies.
  2. RevMen

Calling in the Pros - who has done it

This isn't exactly the point of view you're asking for because I am an acoustical engineer, not someone who has hired one. However I am in the process of finishing my basement which will include a purpose-built listening room. I've also been through the design process on other critical...
  3. RevMen

KT88 SE Abdellah (modified by Alex Gendrano) + AK..

I built mine almost 8 years ago and it's still going strong. With the right preamp and speakers it sounds fantastic.
  4. RevMen

Hi everyone! Long time, no chat. Link should be working. It's not a link to the file directly, but to a page at my website where it can be downloaded.
  5. RevMen

I've updated the link to a current download location for the file.
  6. RevMen

Time to start poking the bear...

What kind of floor is in the room now? You said it's a loft, are the walls straight all the way up with a flat ceiling? Or are they angled? I don't see any reason you can't get this room sounding fantastic.
  7. RevMen

Would covering the back of speakers do anything?

If it did, I'd expect that you'd find speakers in the store with insulation on the back.
  8. RevMen

another great video and why we need to pay attention to the room.

Those of you who think the untreated room sounds better, remember that in these examples the source and the mic are near each other. The effect of the room is diminished in this situation because the direct sound field is so strong. In a listening room situation your ears and your speakers are...
  9. RevMen

Help Designing 12'x12'x10' Listening Space

I don't know what this means.
  10. RevMen

Placebo or real $15K for a component stand?

There certainly is. There are both microphones and accelerometers that are more than sensitive enough to test their claims.
  11. RevMen

what is better for a bass trap, back space or thickness?

Think about how people sound when you hear them talking through a wall. Muffled. Low notes get through but high notes do not, so you lose all the consonants and are left with just vowels. Same sort of effect for cardboard, only the cutoff frequency will be even higher. Bass notes spend more...
  12. RevMen

I think cardboard would reflect high frequency but not low frequency. I bet it's just about invisible to bass notes.
  13. RevMen

The Making Of My New Listening Space

Looks great! The curved wall behind is probably pretty bad for sound, though. That's a whole lotta first reflection points. It may sound louder behind you than in front of you, and it may criss-cross left and right. Hopefully those effects are minimal.
  14. RevMen

Bass is Gone - Carpet to Hardwood Floor

I love a very dead room. Give me an anechoic chamber.
  15. RevMen

Bass is Gone - Carpet to Hardwood Floor

Can you treat the ceiling? When you have two parallel, reflective surfaces you get can get strong peaks or nulls (null in your case). You untreated the floor, but maybe you can fix it by treating the ceiling.
  16. RevMen

The further the distance the absorber is from the wall, the lower the frequencies it will be able to act upon. If you mean to say that the 4" absorber will have 12" of air space behind it, I think that would be the better option.
  17. RevMen

Todays METAL playlist

18. RevMen

Todays METAL playlist

The album that got me into metal. <3 <3 <3
  19. RevMen

3D Wallpaper - Good for Diffusion?

You're correct, they are different. These panels are good for neither.
  20. RevMen

Today's post-rock playlist

Hey! I know those guys. This album was recorded with my microphones. My name's in the liner notes. "Veneklasen" is where I was working at the time, and most of this album was recorded in our offices. I'm listening to the new Mogwai. I haven't taken to it as quickly as Hardcore and...
  21. RevMen

3D Wallpaper - Good for Diffusion?

He was responding to the idea of using the panels as a covering for an absorber. Since it's a board, it would make a very poor covering for an absorber since it wouldn't let much sound into the absorber to be absorbed.
  22. RevMen

Does Heavier Mean Its Better Sounding?

It's actually more expensive that means higher quality, but since you pay by the pound it's effectively the same thing.
  23. RevMen

Close Eyes When Listening??

Made me look. Shame on me.
  24. RevMen

Close Eyes When Listening??

One word: Milkdrop
  25. RevMen

1x4 or 1x6 frames for acoustic panels?

Standing the absorption off of the wall a bit increases the wavelength that the absorber can effectively act against, meaning it works better at low frequencies. Why? At any given point in a sound wave there's a mixture of energy in the form of pressure and velocity. At the peaks and the...
Back
Top Bottom