Search results

1. tubeornotube

What Merlin Signature 4/Excalibur should have looked like…

The Merlin Signature 4 from early 1990’s some of you may recall had a wrap around thin foam covering. I had replaced it years ago but lately it was sagging and coming away from the cabinet. I decided to give them a proper makeover. As the cabinets are constructed of masonite or a thin flexible...
  2. tubeornotube

Anyone knowledeable on the Tannoy Autograph design

I ask this as I have a friend's Autographs which were built according to plans..I was having a closer look and also I downloaded the plans available on a Tannoy site..I feel an error was made in the construction of this pair..More specifically the mounting and sealing of the driver..15" Monitor...
  3. tubeornotube

Gain settings for Blue Circle BC-27pi

Does any one familiar with the BC27pi know the internal dip switch setting for high and low gain? There seems to be no labelling. Also if anyone has a manual is it possible to send me a digital copy? Thanks in advance Matt.....tubeornotube
  4. tubeornotube

Wow has my preferences changed...or am I going deaf?

Must be my aging ears... I have been auditioning a pair of Vandersteen 2ce's.. They suffered from the usual woofer coming apart(surrounds to cones) and the surrounds gettting stiffer. Having experience I repaired the separating surrounds and treated the rubber to soften it up. All else good with...
  5. tubeornotube

Heil Lascala's...

No I wasn't doing a German WWII salute to the Lascala.. My pics will answer that.. Last summer I acquired a pair of DIY Lascala's and other horns for a song. Since,I beautied up the bass bins and mounted a JBL horn and driver on top. Originally I used an original Klipsch tweeter but thought...
  6. tubeornotube

My Lascala clones

Early this past July I attended a local hamfest to sell of some of my excess electronics. As I am also an amateur radio operator I had some ham equipment I wasn't using and some nice communications receivers. The vendor next to me I learned had some cloned Klipschorns and Lascalas in storage he...
  7. tubeornotube

Klipsch clone horn cabinet with Altec 416-8B??

I have a pair of cloned Klipschorn cabinets which came with a Altec 416-8B.. I haven't heard the Altecs installed in the cabinets as of yet . The cabinets are constructed of particleboard over 30 years ago if not 40 years. I need to do some restoration on them..Namely top and bottom due to...
  8. tubeornotube

for value of hi-fi equipment..

I use hifishark https://www.hifishark.com/ Lists all current ads and recent(can go back a few years)sold listings For those looking for value of what you could be considering selling or purchasing.. A better barometer than e-bay I think Matt....tubeornotube
  9. tubeornotube

Calling users of C-21 and M-22

I have in my stable of hi-fi now a C-21 and M-22 which I will be acquiring in a trade from a friend. Now..both are 100Volt Japan voltage. I do know running a 100V unit(s) on our 117V(120V) North American grid can make these run somewhat hot. My worry is the life of the units. Does anyone here...
  10. tubeornotube

Need bias and offset procedure for Ampzilla

Hello knowledgeable folks My Ampzilla...original version with white side panels and protruding meter bridge.... has been undergoing a rebuild and is now complete. It is now operational but the gentleman rebuilding it would like to know proper procedure for setting bias..to what value? and for...
  11. tubeornotube

Wanted Alive not Dead..

I am in The Toronto area(Ontario,Canada) and am looking for someone who can bring my Ampzilla back from the dead. Preferably someone in southern Ontario as shipping across border and the costs involved I am not interested in. Ampzilla has one bad channel and a friend of mine was unsuccessful in...
  12. tubeornotube

calling out???

I have always felt there are plenty of ripping off going on at primarily the retail level in audio... but the biggest has got to be with loudspeakers. Case in point... Recently a good friend of mine blew a bass unit in one of his PMC FB1i's. He was playing a cd of Japanese drummers...possible...
  13. tubeornotube

Does anyone use TOA IP series power amp for home audio???

Hello guys I havent been on here for some time.. I was wondering if anybody has or is using a TOA IP series power amplifier for home use. I have an IP-450D which I got at garage sale with a couple other TOA units pretty darn cheap. I am curious about its sound qualities. I may hook it up soon...
  14. tubeornotube

Two PC-2002M's in the house....

I didn't even realize there is a Yammie forum here. So this past Tuesday picked up two PC-2002M's for a very good price. These were at a Toronto pro audio shop that sells used gear. These particular beasts came from a downtown venue well known to the elite concert goers..The Sony Center..which...
  15. tubeornotube

Two Yammie PC-2002M's for price of one..

A Toronto GTA pro audio shop had a bunch of Yamaha PC-2002M amps recently acquired from a well known Toronto venue. I went to check them out as I wanted one..been looking for some time. Price for buying in-store was better than on the sellers website so I bought 2 of them. Considering the asking...
  16. tubeornotube

Experience with large SS amps and B&W

I am wondering if any members have experience with large solid state amps and B&W. I am using a Krell KSA-300s and 801 Matrix series 2. My question is with regards to speaker cable. I am using right now 2 sets of Museatex which are single cables for each polarity. So bi-wiring with 4 total...
  17. tubeornotube

Classe or Meitner?

I won't get into why I am asking but I have a choice between a pair of Classe DR-9 in bridged mode or a pair of Meitner MTR-101 monoblocks. They are the same basic vintage however one is twice the price of the other. This does not matter to me.Its more about performance and absolute sound...
  18. tubeornotube

I get a kick out of You-tube....

A real kick that is...when someone posts a video of their hi-fi system(if at all) playing their favorite tunes ...'Listen to this..ain't it great?' "Oh yeah just like every other You-tube post playing through 1" speakers on my monitor." Stupid human tricks...
  19. tubeornotube

Are there any collectors of early pocket transistor radios here??

As per topic. I have been collecting early pocket transistors for over 20 years. It is secondary to my audio hobby. I have not a huge collection but reasonable with some nice specimens. Sony TR-63 Sylvania Thunderbird Regency TR-4 many Zenith's numerous rare Japanese sets anyone...
  20. tubeornotube

Tour of my audio/hobby room..so call me crazy.

Yes I know...after seeing this pics you will think I am crazy Mostly shows the audio half of the room. As you will see Icollect radios. I am a ham radio operator(not active) I collect vintage toys..Dinky,Corgi. Some vintage cameras in there as well. And of course..several pairs of high...
  21. tubeornotube

Marying the Great Heil to an AR-10pi

Happy holidays everyone!! I had the chance today to try out a pair of Great Heil AMT's and was looking for a speaker to mate them to. I have a pair of Acoustic Research AR-10pi's which have the original woofer and one original tweeter with Philips 2" domes. I decided to disconnect the...
  22. tubeornotube

Owners of B&K M-200 Sonata monoblocks (rev c)

I assume the switch on the rear of the rev-c version of the M-200 is to toggle between the balanced and unbalanced rca inputs. Could someone confirm this as lo and behold..cannot find a manual of any kind via Google.. Matt..........tubeornotube
  23. tubeornotube

Aquestion to B&K M-200 Sonata owners.

I am presently trying a pair of B&K M-200 Sonata monoblocks. My question concerns the input connections on the rear. This pair have the rca below the heatsinks with an XLR,switch,output binding posts and fuseholder to right of heatsinks. There is no labelling other than sticker for model,ser...
  24. tubeornotube

Merlins fresh clothes....

I thought I'd share pics of a just completed small project on a big pair of Merlin Signature Fours. If anyone knows the earlier Merlins,they were wrapped on four sides with a thin open cell foam. Well after 20 years or so of course rot sets in. I was worried at first keeping the original...
  25. tubeornotube

Unstable Counterpoint SA-20?

I have a Counterpoint SA-20 on loan. I believe it has been serviced. Both channels have new output mosfets though. All tubes are marked Counterpoint so obviously original. I have checked the DC offset on both channels upon receiving it and both were very high. in fact almost 800mV. I...
Back
Top Bottom