Search results

1. js1138

The tablet as Squeezebox replacement/streamer

I have nothing against using a tablet as a streamer except that it ties up the tablet for a trivial function. I think AK could use some threads on the topic of media players. We already seem to have the appropriate forum available. But there are lots and lots of devices out there besides...
  2. js1138

For a few dollars more you can get a Roku player that won't tie up your tablet. For double that you can get an AppleTV that has a great user interface.
  3. js1138

Expensive considering there's AppleTV and a couple dozen similar devices that are made for this job and which have toslink output. I'm using WDTV.
  4. js1138

measuring dynamic range in audio recordings

This is not rocket science. Just note the level at the waveform maximum. Then look for a quiet passage, expand the scale, and look at the level of the minimum. this will not give you the absolute signal to noise ration, but it will give you a pretty good picture of the musical dynamics. For...
  5. js1138

dcm triple time speakers

Never heard of triple times, but I have a pair of Time Pieces that were obviously intended to go with a subwoofer. All the DCM products that I know of from that era used rubber surrounds.
  6. js1138

Permanent Ear Damage?

I'm going to suggest a positive possibility. the pressure could have pushed wax against the eardrum, causing pressure that could be relieved by cleaning. Do not use q-tips.
  7. js1138

Squeezebox Officially Dead

OK, here's the truth squad speaking. The WDTV is not going to compete with AppleTV for user friendliness, but it has high quality audio and video. Particularly if you have an external DAC. I have a Parasound preamp that has a good sounding DAC. But You can always use the analog output and...
  8. js1138

Good direct drive turntables

If you get a chance, take a look at the Pioneer PL-707.
  9. js1138

Squeezebox Officially Dead

I ripped 1200 CDs to flac this summer. Put them on a 320 gig USB drive that cost $50 from Amazon. Copied them to two other drives as a backup. It took a lot of time, but it only has to be done once. Currently I'm streaming them to a WDTV that is available for $70, including WiFi. I'm using...
  10. js1138

GM is still losing as much as $49,000 on each Volt it builds,

Doesn't make any difference what the U.S. does. The problem is with the developing world. Most people in the world use less energy than we use for our washing machines. It doesn't take a giant step out of poverty to double or triple the world's energy usage. I see big oil blamed for everything...
  11. js1138

We are using less, due to the recession. My power company just raised rates due to reduced demand.
  12. js1138

Well, electric cars run mostly on coal in this country, and we have plenty of coal. The sad thing is that nearly all the alternative sources of energy are being opposed by someone. Nukes for obvious reasons. Wind power for noise and for killing birds. The news this week is that the low...
  13. js1138

Favorite Music File Format?

FLAC can be used with either iTunes or Windows Media Player with a free add-on. Or Media Monkey or any of a number of other players out of the box. It's free and lossless, so I think it's the obvious first destination. You can make MP3 or any other kind of file from it to play on portable devices.
  14. js1138

Running my computer through my stereo?

Quickest and cheapest way is from the green output (line out) on the computer to an AUX or other line input on your stereo. The cable is under $8 at the Shack. After that it gets complicated, but that will be pretty good.
  15. js1138

"Best" CD burner for audio (computer)?

EAC is easy to pair with Imgburn. Both are free and very reliable. If you intend to burn copies with Imgburn, you will need to tell EAC to make a CUE file. This is a data file that contains information about track length and such, needed to make an exact replica of the original CD. The current...
  16. js1138

Home Server Help.....ideas?

I'm using Wild Media Server to stream music to various devices. Right now it's going to a WDTV that has optical out to my preamp. What Wild MS does that seems to be unusual is "push" media files to the receiving devices. Once you tell the media player to connect to WMS, it stays connected, even...
  17. js1138

Favorite Music File Format?

FLAC loses nothing and allows each track to carry metadata, including multiple images. The metadata will follow wherever the file goes or to whatever other format. So that should be the first conversion. After that you can make whatever type you need for a given player.
  18. js1138

Avast causing computer to slow down

When you first install an AV program it is likely to do a full scan. It might also check th behavior of programs that access the internet. The slowdown might go away after it clears your machine. The question about other AV programs. Most AV programs have to be uninstalled wth dedicated...
  19. js1138

Plextor drives are now manufactured by Lite-On. The only difference is the firmware, which might occasionally make a difference. My favorite drive for ripping is a six year old Plextor. It just does a better job on scratched disks. But I haven't tested lots of alternatives.
  20. js1138

Audio CDs are different from data CDs. Data CDs have better error correction. It takes a bigger defect to make a data CD unreadable. It's the file format, not the disk or the data.
  21. js1138

Hang Up my Vinyl Saddle...Goodbye, LP

I have three Sony carousals, and all are being retired. Spent the summer ripping everything to flac. I suppose legally I have to keep the CDs, but the players are going to new homes soon. I have replaced the belts in the older ones, so they are good for another decade or so.
  22. js1138

Burning CDs

I'll add my persona experience. Most of thr CDRs I burned five years ago are unusable in any machine. Mostly store brands. I just riped 1200 CDs to flac. Most of the CDRs wouldn't pass through Exact Audio Copy in secure mode. About six factory pressed disks had visible CD rot - places where the...
  23. js1138

A question about "new" recipes

What's a recipe? If your are baking a cake you are following a chemical formula that you change at some risk. If you are seasoning food you use what you like.
  24. js1138

Value of AR-9 speakers...?

Foam rot was caused by ozone and such. It they were sealed in the box for 20 years the foam might very well be in perfect condition.
  25. js1138

Isn't that a line from Spinal Tap?
Back
Top Bottom