Search results

1. Watthour

Advice on quieting transformer hum?

Depending upon where there is access, it may be possible to pack more fish paper between the bobbin and core to restrain its movement. I've had success on some that way.
  2. Watthour

Thermal Probe Reccomendation

A "J" or "K" themocouple and meter, and an alligator clip to hold it to the body of the device can provide a fairly accurate reading compared to an IR scanner/gun. The IR scanners are handy for looking around to locate hot spots, but the actual temperature measurements are not that accurate.
  3. Watthour

SX-450 distortion in left channel

As long as you are in the unit, the power supply should be scrutinized.
  4. Watthour

SX-450 distortion in left channel

The headphone jack IS driven by the output transistors, but through dropping resistors to limit power.
  5. Watthour

Time For A "Test Equipment" Forum? NOW WITH POLL

I was wondering who would be saddled with moving/merging/linking up all the old threads that would be in a "Test Equipment" forum. That could take someone at least half an hour (per day, for the rest of their lives).
  6. Watthour

KLH Six circa 1968 Restoration w/Pics!

Very nice save on the furniture!
  7. Watthour

Inrush current limiters, my thoughts and yours.

Thanks for the visual reminder of the time delay tubes. I haven't seen those in a long time, but recall a few supply drawers full of those of various values and contact arrangements, from back in the '80s.
  8. Watthour

If you ever worked inside a substation or even secondary switchgear, you might soil your garments. Bare copper bars are all over the place, and intentionally cross paths to reduce induction and EMI. They are usually pretty low voltage, however, rarely exceeding 345kV.
  9. Watthour

As a general note, fire inspectors, particularly the municipal/state employees, are not always the most qualified nor insightful in performing their assignments. As in almost every other endeavor, the really good ones don't work for the government, but are in private/commercial industry...
  10. Watthour

Increasing main filter capacitance, going 4.5 times original size too much?

I would agree that the Ametherm line offers more and better possibilities than simply slapping in a generic Amphenol CL-90 like everyone who has done an internet search would do. It does take a little math to determine the best selection, however. As a matter of fact, 10 years ago I suggested...
  11. Watthour

Another SX 780 relay not clicking thread...

The 13½V supply is from Q25, the regulator for all the 13V loads. It could be helpful to verify the proper voltages upstream of that. R1 is the 22Ω/5W ceramic resistor mounted to the main heat sink in the unit. Once side of that should have about 52VDC, and the other should have about 26VDC.
  12. Watthour

S-993A Desoldering Gun Keeps Clogging...

Some of the alloys encountered on modern equipment are a real challenge. The advice given above about adding solder is valid. I also keep a welding tip cleaner on the bench to periodically clear the tip and tube. Taking one apart to clear out carbon, slag, and debris always seems to happen...
  13. Watthour

Marantz 7T Transistor substitutions help

Decoding their numbers is helpful. That proprietary numbering system doesn't help anyone, and doesn't even help Marantz any more. As for the devices, finding any really high gain bipolars is getting more difficult by the day, and Darlingtons are comparatively uncommon, if you could even use one.
  14. Watthour

have you ever seen glue like this?(main filter caps)

That might work, but the characters silk-screened onto the board might also go away.
  15. Watthour

FS7M0880 for Metcal PS-900

If you can live with a 700V rating, something like this might get you close: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/power-integrations/TOP258YN/1657676
  16. Watthour

Hartke LH500 no bias

If VR302 has no effect, something in that bias circuit may be open. As for the LH1000 version, the schematic also shows "added for LH1000" adjacent to R30, or possibly Q313. That would imply that R39 and/or Q314 would also have been added for the LH1000, but the diagram really isn't...
  17. Watthour

Does anyone recognize these woofers....((Jensen))

Well, technically, it's not China, but Taiwan. If you don't understand the difference, it may become a lot clearer in about 7-10 years when the draft notices start going out.
  18. Watthour

Stereo repair equipment

... Unless you live in a place that still allows 15A convenience receptacles, (no, they are not "outlets") you can get up to 20A pretty continuously from a single receptacle.
  19. Watthour

Pioneer sx450 issue

The 1220s did have a better Ft, but for audio it may not make a noticeable difference. Another alternate could be KSP2907A.
  20. Watthour

Can homemade speakers be any good?

I'm guessing that Paul Klipsch made some of his first speakers at home (through 1948), if that answers the initial question.
  21. Watthour

Sansui 555a hum issue in the preamp

The 555A I was in was rock-solid and dead-quiet, and had no such shield: It also bench tested above the minimum factory specs for performance after the upgrades and repairs.
  22. Watthour

AU-555A adjustment

With a cap-coupled output and quasi-complimentary pair operating from a single power supply, balance is more difficult to control. It may help to read through this thread and consider some of the suggested modifications...
  23. Watthour

Klipsch Cornwalls followed me home

Since they followed you home, those are some well-trained speakers. The cosmetics are probably an easy (maybe not fast) fix compared to finding consecutive serialized speakers.
  24. Watthour

Can someone help me identify these speakers? Thank you!

Good guess. I believe there were other companies offering speakers with wood lattice grilles, too. The whole array of Pioneer CS series, Sony SS-870, the aforementioned Sansui types, Altec 890, Coral BX1001, etc. come to mind. Regardless of their origin, I'm guessing that I know the color of...
  25. Watthour

sx-535 fm not in stereo

A little more information might be helpful. What is the tuning meter doing when approaching and passing an FM broadcast? What kind of deflection is achieved on the signal strength meter?
Back
Top Bottom