Search results

1. M

Crown ES-224

Hey, thanks Stalmer! Any info you can dig up would be awesome. Even if the original drivers are unobtanium it would be nice to know how to find something close.
  2. M

Crown ES-224

That ended up being a thread from 5 years ago and based in Australia. Thanks for the lead, though. I've heard that there is an engineer from Crown, from the early/mid 70's, that is available for consult. If anyone has any Crown Speaker contacts I would really appreciate the help. Thank you...
  3. M

Crown ES-224

Hey, thank you!! I'll check that out.
  4. M

Crown ES-224

I am now listening to my Boston A-150s as the Crowns are at another location and BOY do the Bostons sound small. And the A-150s are no slouches!! I think I am about to start getting into DIY electrostatics. Those Crowns have an electrostatic area of about 2'x3'. That's a lot of tweeter area...
  5. M

Crown ES-224

Hello All, I am wondering if any of you have a line on a Crown Speaker expert. These are Crown ES-224, TOTL at the time, (They are the most transparent speakers I've heard yet) but the woofer cabs have been messed with. I don't think any of the drivers are original. The two on the right...
  6. M

Do my speakers have enough bass?

I just hooked up a frequency generator to my system and I have to say that whoever says that there is no meaningful content below 40hz is crazy. Bass drums are going to have fundamentals and harmonics below that as are both acoustic and electric basses, not to mention tubas, pianos, therimins...
  7. M

Sure.

Explode both of them.
  8. M

Sure.

This is not the picture I meant to send. There are a set of ESS AMT 1a next to those.
  9. M

Sure.

How's this for an array?
  10. M

I wonder if Alan Parsons knew not to overly mic DSOTM or overly multi-track it? Or if Zappa knew not to do the same on "Apostrophe". Or if Rudy Van Gelder made the decision to only use two tracks instead of 16 in the early Blue Note and Impulse years? My point here is that care, attention...
  11. M

I'd just like to throw this out there, as the speaker discussion has been covered, that your amp will play a huge roll. The impression that each instrument is playing on its own, in it's own bandwidth, and with its own dynamics and voicing can be greatly enhanced by making sure your amp and...
  12. M

Deep Rolling Base, how to get it?

I am going to +1 on the distributed bass idea. I hadn't heard of the concept before until I was reading this thread, (I've been off the boards for several years), but I discovered many of the distributed bass benefits through trial and error on my own system. I just didn't know that that is...
  13. M

DCM timeframe vs Heresys

On the topic of horns, I've used a set of Klipsch KG-5.5s quite a bit, and they sound fantastic. Not Horny at all, at least in my experience. I've actually preferred them to ANY set of "classic" Klipschs I've heard. Which has been pretty much everything but the La Scalas and the Klipschorn...
  14. M

DCM timeframe vs Heresys

I think the Heresys sound "Horny", for lack of a better term, and since they're so efficient sometimes they are a poor match for a high power SS amp. I have never heard the Timeframes so I can't compare but I'd take my Boston A-150's over the Heresys. Now if you only had 10 tube watts to work...
  15. M

Idler wheel size = platter speed?

It's not a question of where he grips it. It's a simple matter of weight ratios. A five ounce bird cannot carry a one pound coconut. Right... Sorry, couldn't resist. I was thinking in Rich's teeth terms and came upon the analogy of a bicycle. You've got a front (drive) gear, rear (driven)...
  16. M

Newbie question on recap

In my experience almost all vintage audio devices need to be recapped. If it hasn't been done yet your 2220b will need it. If it works great now then keep riding the wave but don't be too surprised when you start hearing fuzz or a channel starts to cut in and out. Receivers of a certain age....
  17. M

2325: No Right channel Pre-out sound- where to look in preamp?

If I were in that same situation I'd start doing continuity checks from the inputs towards the tone board and the back towards the amp inputs. Basically looking for where the signal gets lost. If you had an O-Scope you could "spy" on the different junctions looking for the signal. I would bet...
  18. M

2325 - Perhaps a sacrilegious question.

Hi Catrafter. Thanks for the info. My reading of the service manual left some question in my mind as to whether the Dolby board null processed the signal when the switch was off or if the signal bypassed the Dolby board when the switch was off. So it sounds like the only downside of the Dolby...
  19. M

2325 - Perhaps a sacrilegious question.

I am wondering of what use is all the Dolby junk on the 2325? I cannot imagine ever using it. I am also a little inclined to rip it out of there and get it out of the signal path. Is that a stupid move? Just a waste of time? Is there some kind of Dolby magic I am just not hip to? I have to...
  20. M

2325 Bias/idle current issues

Hello all! I did some searching through the threads here for my problem to see if this question has been raised before but I didn't find it, so here goes. I've got a 2325 with new output transistors, they appear to be On Semi mj15025g/mj15024g. I don't know why they were replaced or who did...
  21. M

2325 being difficult - bias & offset stability

Similar Problem Hi, Rasputin I don't have any insight for you but I am experiencing a similar problem with two 2325's I have right now. I would be interested in what people might have to say here. Thanks in advance AK'rs!!
  22. M

Does a record really have a continuous waveform? The answer might surprise you...

Great Thread! Would cryogenicly "annealing" a record help get at more of the information in the groove? There are processes that are used in hardening metals whereby the item is slowly brought close to absolute zero held there for some durration, allowing the molecules to reform and compact...
  23. M

Maggie and Marantz; Can they date?

Yeah, I know. I could end up with little Marantznapans pitter-pattering all over the house. My wife would LOVE that!
  24. M

Thanks for the input. I'll look forward to getting it set up!
  25. M

Can a Marantz 2275 drive MG-II's? My gut tells me they could have some very nice chemistry if the 2275 can deliver the power. Opinions?
Back
Top Bottom