Search results

1. bobellis75

What is a good entry to mid-end turntables?

Second this...I picked one up a couple years ago and love mine...upgraded the stylus (mine came with a sumiko, and they have an "upgrade path" you can follow....jumped it up a couple levels and sounds even better).
  2. bobellis75

Advent Heritage? Any love for 'em?

Found a pair locally that I'm eyeing, potentially...anyone have real world experience with listening to these speakers and would you recommend?
  3. bobellis75

Boston Acoustics CR9 ?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like a pass.
  4. bobellis75

Boston Acoustics CR9 ?

Noted. Thanks!
  5. bobellis75

Boston Acoustics CR9 ?

I have read a handful of pretty darn good reviews on these....wondering if they'd be much of an upgrade on some Polk 5jr+ speakers I'm currently running via a NAD c316bee v2 and mostly running a Pro-ject Debut Carbon Evo. The Polks aren't bad, and I have had good luck with more than one set of...
  6. bobellis75

Vinyl only spin list

7. bobellis75

Record Store Day 2012 list is finally out.

I did good last year in getting what I wanted for the most part...you know, I don't even think I've opened the Syd Barrett RSD release from 2011. I just never got to it....
  8. bobellis75

Thrift Store "scores" - what's the secret?

THis is the key...I have fun when I get the time just going around to thrift stores, flea markets, etc. If I find something great, if not...oh well...it beats sitting around bored. And I can usually at some point at least (when striking out on speakers, etc) find a good album or two to pick up...
  9. bobellis75

Thrift Store "scores" - what's the secret?

I've never had any luck at thrift stores, other than an occasional album here and there...no equipment. Seen some great stuff at estate sales and yard sales...picked up one nice receiver from a fellow AK'er here in the KC area.
  10. bobellis75

Morphine and Mad Season - Looking for Simmilar

Tom Waits....where to start...that's a tough one. I'd probably say start with the first album, Closing Time. Some other great ones are: Swordfishtrombones Small Change Bone Machine The Early Years (two volumes) are good compilations as well....
  11. bobellis75

Your Latest Additions (LP)......

That Kooper stuff is GREAT....enjoy!
  12. bobellis75

'This Year's Model'.....Elvis Costello...recommend?

it's a classic! Not much else to add - looks like everyone else here has said it already!
  13. bobellis75

Should I go see Susanna Hoffs this weekend?

Well she's still hot in my opinion... :thmbsp: Seems like I saw her singing on something not too long ago and she still sounded good....it wasn't the Bangles, though, just her. Probably worth checking out...especially if it's a free show.
  14. bobellis75

Harry Nilsson "Sandman"

interesting...I haven't heard this "Sandman" album, and I love Nilsson....I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for this one....
  15. bobellis75

Hugh Laurie (AKA House MD) blues album

Yep...hilarious stuff! :thmbsp:
  16. bobellis75

Hugh Laurie (AKA House MD) blues album

Love the show and Hugh Laurie is a very talented guy...hilarious, has written a novel, and can sing, play piano, guitar, and so on....just read an article about his new album the other day...sounds interesting enough to take a listen to.
  17. bobellis75

Big Star - remastered third - Record day w/ 5 golden tickets

Glad to say I got one of these...My eyes lit up when I saw it...but I was the second person in line. And the shop manager came out and let like the first four or five us go through one at a time, in the order we arrived...when I saw the first guy flipping through everything...I was like "Oh...
  18. bobellis75

trying to sensitize myself to jazz

Just checking back into this thread for the first time in a bit...saw your comment about KC. If anyone is ever traveling through the area, highly recommend stopping by the revitalized 18th and Vine Jazz District here in KC. Couple of nice venues for jazz and great history in the American Jazz...
  19. bobellis75

How was your Record Store Day?

I did ok at mine...and had a great time in the process. The actual RSD releases I bought were: Pink Floyd Syd Barrett Foo Fighters Big Star (was so glad to get this one) White Stripes - both 7 inch releases Blitzen Trapper 7 inch Steve Earle 7 inch ROME (the Danger Mouse 7 inch)...
  20. bobellis75

Hey from Kansas City

Welcome Sam. I live in KC in the Lee's Summit/Independence area....
  21. bobellis75

dropped vocals?

well it's still messing up....I think it's something with the right channel on the TT.
  22. bobellis75

dropped vocals?

Well the records played fine at the shop. The guy there told me to go back through the turntable setup tonight and double check everything. He said if that doesn't do it, bring it to him and he'll look at it. He's very knowledgeable with setup/maintenance, etc.... Persil - He cranked up...
  23. bobellis75

Turntable with a 750US dollar buget

Looks like you've got plenty of good advice here...so I'll just say welcome to the midwest...I'm not far from Lawrence, in the KC area. There is a nice record shop in Lawrence which you have probably already discovered? Here is a link to their site: http://www.lovegardensounds.com/
  24. bobellis75

White Stripes vinyl

Jack White does a great job running that label...good that someone of his stature is taking up the charge for vinyl and trying to do cool things to promote it....
  25. bobellis75

dropped vocals?

David...tried jiggling around and moving wires...no difference. Brought the Rubber Soul and Revolver records with me to work today...going to a local shop here at lunch and asking them to play my records in store, see what happens. If they crap out on the store equipment, problem solved -...
Back
Top Bottom