Search results

1. vintage22

Is the Stanton 681 any good?

I have heard a lot about how good the old Stanton cartridges are and was wondering if they still make good carts, particularly the new 681s. Has anyone had good experiences with the 681?
  2. vintage22

thud sound from speakers

Recently I have noticed that when my system is on and I'm not playing a record, there is occasionally a thud sound that comes from my speakers. Anyone know what might be causing this?
  3. vintage22

2011 Beatles Vinyl Reissues

I live in the US, but out of curiosity I looked up Beatles vinyl on Amazon UK today thinking they might have a better selection of Beatles vinyl there than in the states. Anyway I found the entire Beatles catalogue available for back order with a release date of September 12. At first as was...
  4. vintage22

good record labels for vinyl

It sounds like everyone agrees about Sundazed. The first vinyl reissue I bought was from Sundazed recently and I was so happy with the sound and album artwork that I bought two more records in the last month. Its nice to hear other recommendations from people who have had experiences with...
  5. vintage22

good record labels for vinyl

What are some good record labels for new vinyl reissues? I only own three new vinyl records all of which came from Sundazed and all sound really good. I have heard a lot about bad vinyl reissues including the Beatles reissues that came out a few years ago. Anyway I was wondering what labels...
  6. vintage22

Needle Doctor

Thanks for all the replies, I just bought an alignment gauge from the needle doctor after hearing all the good things you guys have been saying.
  7. vintage22

Needle Doctor

Has any shopped online at Needle Doctor for audio equipment? Is it a safe place to shop?
  8. vintage22

distortion on vocals

Based on everyones advice and an article from catman, I have found the problem, I have the overhang so wrong that its almost funny.
  9. vintage22

distortion on vocals

Are there any weight gauges that you would recommend? Also, I'm reading your article and I think I might have missed the point of how to use the protractor when I set everything up.
  10. vintage22

distortion on vocals

Music from other sources sounds great. The vocals on a Nora Jones CD sound amazing, which is a hugh contrast to the vocals on my records.
  11. vintage22

distortion on vocals

Actually I think the distortion might be a little worse in the left channel. Also I do not have a tracking force gauge, I just set the weight according to the dial on the tone arm counter weight. The records I'm playing are all in good condition and I'm also having these problems with new...
  12. vintage22

distortion on vocals

Is there a difference between a regular phono input and a moving magnet phono input? I know that the new Marantz receivers specify the phono input as a MM phono input, but don't know much about vintage Marantz receivers like the one I have. I think I will try doing the basic set up again...
  13. vintage22

distortion on vocals

Most of the records seem to be in good condition, not hardly a scratch on them. There is also the same distortion and a new Youngbloods album from Sundazed, but they call it high definition vinyl, which from threads I've read on here these new "high definition" vinyl seem to have distortion in...
  14. vintage22

distortion on vocals

So is there always distortion on the vocals no matter what? I am new to vinyl so I really don't know how it should sound.
  15. vintage22

distortion on vocals

I'm using a Technics SL1300 turntable, Shure M97xE cartridge, and a Marantz 2230B receiver.
  16. vintage22

distortion on vocals

It is a Shure M97xE that I bought about 3 months ago. I know its not high end or anything but it should not wear out that fast, or can they?
  17. vintage22

distortion on vocals

When listening to records there is distortion on the vocals in the upper end. It sounds like static. Its not just minor, it is really noticeable and very annoying. I can kind of fix it with the high filter on my receiver, but I don't like doing that because it ruins the overall sound. Does...
  18. vintage22

relationship between tracking force and sound quality

Thank you everyone for all the advice, I will definitely be playing around with the tracking force.
  19. vintage22

I currently have the tracking force set to the minimum and I have had no problems with mis-tracking or skipping, but it will sometimes glide across the lead in groves. Maybe I need to adjust the anti-skate to fix that or maybe I should increase the tracking force. I originally set the tracking...
  20. vintage22

I have a cartridge that lists a min, max, and optimal tracking force. Does this mean that you would get the best sound quality if you set the tracking force to the listed optimal tracing force?
  21. vintage22

Is this what all Marantz receivers do?

Thank you to everyone for answering my question. I can stop worrying that theres something wrong with my receiver.
  22. vintage22

Is this what all Marantz receivers do?

I have just bought a Marantz 2230B receiver and when I turn it on there is no sound coming out of the speakers for 3 or 4 seconds, then there is a click sound in the receiver and the speakers work fine. Is this normal? I don't have any experience with vintage receivers, so I was wondering if...
Back
Top Bottom