Search results

1. rickon66

Help/Opinions on Speaker Selection

There is a guy over in St. Louis that dabbles in vintage stuff that has both the EPI 120's and the Polk 7's. They both look to be super clean and ready to go. Thanks for the opinions and ideas.
  2. rickon66

Help/Opinions on Speaker Selection

I have let my passion for audio gear kind of die out in the past 7 or 8 years due to health issues/ relocation and a few other things that life has thrown at us. We moved back to Illinois in 2021 after living in Tennessee for 20+ years and now we are settled in and I am getting ready to unpack...
  3. rickon66

Unknown object shot down over Alaska....

Due to my frugal nature, my question is why they are using missiles at $400,000 a pop when a $20 cannon shell would suffice.
  4. rickon66

Braun Audio

Love both Braun and ADS speakers, but never had experience with any of their electronics. I had a pair of Braun 830's in Teak finish and thought they were exceptional as well as a pair of 1030's.
  5. rickon66

Will there be vintage gear in heaven..

There will be high powered tube gear with American made tubes and have remote controls, turntables and vinyl with zero static or pops.
  6. rickon66

Thinking about shipping my big Marantz 2500 receiver

I have shipped quite a few items and my vote would be FedEx, double boxed. Receiver wrapped in a soft non abrasive cloth or foam wrap and packed fairly tightly in the inner box, then spare no material to cushion the inner box from sturdy outer box. Pack both boxes to allow NO movement of...
  7. rickon66

Parked next to this Stingray at the mall

Back in 1969 I managed to acquire a black on black 66 Corvette coupe 427/390HP engine with factory side pipes. I lived in a small town in Illinois close to St Louis MO and purchased it from a local guy for $2700. It listed new for about $5400. I thought I was hot stuff until one day I was...
  8. rickon66

Back after long hiatus.

I haven't been logging in to the forums for a good while, but my wife's 2020 drive to "organize" has me rearranging some stuff. I dug out my trusty Sony STR-6055 and got it hooked up. Still rocking since 1971. Listening to some Winwood and just enjoying the old workhorse, the tuner on it puts...
  9. rickon66

Pleasant Suprise

Yesterday I got a cryptic email from my old buddy Chuck in Colorado, he told me to expect a package from him today. I had with no clue as to what was in the package and I was curious to see what the heck it was. It was a good sized box and I quickly opened it to find a 1972 era Sony STR 6055...
  10. rickon66

Stromberg Carlson Stereo Tube Amp ASR-433

S/c 433 There is usually one glued inside of the bottom cover.:banana:
  11. rickon66

Buying a new computer

If I didn't "enjoy" building my own computers, I would just keep an eye open for a clearance computer at one of the office supply stores. A couple of weeks ago, the local OfficeMax had a couple of HP's on clearance for $499. They were loaded, with Intel Quad Q6600 processor, 4GB Ram, 640GB hard...
  12. rickon66

The Final Straw-Is Nothing Sacred?

Over the years I have witnessed and not complained(too much) about the practice of product downsizing. Coffee has gone from one pound (16oz.) to 13 oz. and to even smaller sizes. A half gallon of ice cream is now down to 56 or 48 oz. , I could go on and on. A sad trend, but at least the down...
  13. rickon66

HH Scott Type 314 score

Walked into a little junk shop this past Thursday and asked my standard question-"Got any vintage audio stuff?" Seeing as how I had never gottten an affirmative answer before, I was shocked when the owner said that he had an old Scott tuner. He set it up on the counter and sure enough it said...
  14. rickon66

Are all Tube lovers rich and/or old?

Posting in the tube forum is probably not the best place to get an unbiased opinion. I'm more on the poor side than on the rich side, but I like the sound that a tube amp produces. The point to point wireing and the simple construction of most tube equipment makes it easier to tinker with and to...
  15. rickon66

how to clean a receiver

Try the search function with the word "cleaning" and you will get a world of usefull tips and methods to help you in your quest for a clean machine!!:banana: P.S.-I would stay far away from the general use of spray silicone.
  16. rickon66

Bittersweet Birthday

Thanks everyone for your words of kindness-it helps!
  17. rickon66

Bittersweet Birthday

This is my birthday week, which is normally a time to celebrate. This year I have a dark shadow hanging over the day, my mother died last week on her 78th birthday. I got in the habit the past few years of calling her and asking "What were you doing fifty-xxx years ago today?" and then thanking...
  18. rickon66

Hobbies besides audio

Building and tinkering with computers. I also love old cars, but can't afford to do anything but look!!:banana:
  19. rickon66

More marantz speakers...Imperial 6's at the Vets thrift...

I love my Imperial 6's, I prefer them to the larger Advents that I had. I spent many hours refinishing mine and they came out great. The cone tweeters are a blue color, but are easily bleached out by sunlight.
  20. rickon66

Advent 2 Foam Question

ReEdger, I am planning to work on them at some point. I just had cervical spinal surgery this past week and am forbidden to do just about anything for a month or so. I just had my staples removed today and the Doctor ordered no bending, twisting, turning and no lifting above a few ounces...
  21. rickon66

Mystery speakers

Available locally-there are no labels on them. They look familiar, but I can't place them. I just had cervical spinal surgery and can't go look at them in the flesh. Any help would be appreciated.
  22. rickon66

Wharfedale W60D Bookshelf Speakers

Here is a pretty good shot of a W60E tweeter.
  23. rickon66

Advent 2 Foam Question

Thanks Pickoid, that is exactly what I needed. I have emailed three foam retailers and they have all confirmed that no ready made foam is available. Do you still have the Advents ?
  24. rickon66

Advent 2 Foam Question

Thanks for the replies. I thought maybe stacked Advent 2's might sound good.
  25. rickon66

Advent 2 Foam Question

Just got back from a visit to our old home area in Illinois and my sister gave me two sets of Advent 2's that she had in storage for many years. They are in nice shape except for the woofer foam which is totally shot. I know that they have an odd size woofer and have not been able to find any...
Back
Top Bottom