Search results

1. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

I swapped the transistors on the right-side control amp, so that both sides have the same transistors. The only difference in the amp is that the left control amp has metal film resistors, and the right control amp has the original carbon. Rather than mixing a source into mono, I used the A...
  2. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

Correct - where possible I'll work to make sure the only difference between the left and right channels will be the resistors. I figured I'd like first-hand knowledge of whether the change from carbon to MF makes any audible difference to me, and it'll help me make decisions about what/how to...
  3. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

While I wait on parts to arrive.. I had a think about testing the amp sections for the hiss. Given the left-channel hiss only appears after the amp has warmed up, I wasn't sure whether I'd adequately tested the pre-amp and power sections for long enough when I had them separated. After pulling...
  4. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

Poop.. a quick check of my stock of bits, and I only ordered replacement resistors for the control and head amps, which are 1/4W resistors. I don't have any 1/2W for the power amp, so will have to put together an order. Ironically, my rationale for that was to lower the noise floor of the...
  5. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

Thanks John. My gut feel was that the resistors are the issue with the hiss. However, not one to rely on gut feels, I pulled some components off the power amp board and measured them. I pulled some resistors and caps.. r803 - should be 680kΩ, measures 940kΩ r807 - should be 4.7kΩ, measures...
  6. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

Swapped out the remaining transistors on the power amp stage. The 2SC968 and 2SC871 are gone.. here they are lined up for the firing squad. Interestingly, the 871's are either a previous repair (didn't look like it on the solder side unless they cleaned up the whole pads carefully), or an...
  7. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

Ok, first step complete and the flying saucers are no more. Here they are close-up: 9002 8002 And here's one of the replacements, a BC640 (replaces the 9002). Excuse the superglue all over the end of my fingers - was just gluing new tyres around the rims on one of the kids' RC cars :)...
  8. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

Back at it after a long break for Xmas, post from the USA and too much time on patrol at the beach (volunteer lifesaver). I removed the flying saucers tonight, and sorted through my big bag of bits that came int he mail. First step is replacing the flying saucers: CDC8002-1A will...
  9. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

15A fuse? Awesome work by the previous owner :D Lucky it didn't turn the circuit boards to slag. My project has stalled with work committments this week - but I got a big bag of capacitors, resistors and transistors in the mail last week from rs-components, so I just need to find the time...
  10. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

International mail is taking its sweet time.. parts might not arrive until next week. Along with the bits for the amp, I also grabbed a pair of these cheap 8" long 300W ceramic 8ohm resistors, which takes care of the test load for prety much any amps I'm likely to have pass through my hands :D...
  11. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

As an aside - since talking to various friends about this endeavour, I've been offered a non-working Pioneer SA-6200, so that will likely be my next target :)
  12. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

Thanks John for the info on the transistors - as 2SC2240's appear to be discontinued, it seems a safe bet that Futurlec's stock are the same as you bought from them, so I'll have a look through data sheets and see how the alternative 2SC1815 or KSC1845FTA compare and maybe get them instead...
  13. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

This post by Alex7228 has excellent pictures of the same resistors in his AU-555, so it appears they are indeed original. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=7707442&postcount=5 Here's a pic of his amp: The ones in my AU-555 aren't quite as corroded, but given the legs were too...
  14. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

Thanks - I did find references to "ZTX" but didn't come across complete numbers, so thats handy to have. I'm looking forward to listening to this amp - especially as I was also given a pair of very nice looking Sansui SP-200 speakers to go with it, with their fantastic wooden grilles! (I just...
  15. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

Thanks for the advice - I'm just going by what I've researched on the forums, so having someone with an understanding of the current flow chime is is appreciated. Your avatar is appreciated too - I used to watch Roobard and Custard on saturday mornings even into my teens :) As I'm in Australia...
  16. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

Okay, so first order of business is to fix the speaker selector switch. The chap who gave the amp to me said it worked fine up until that switch broke, and then it had just sat in his office needing repair for some years. First off, I cleaned it, and then after some thought, used a hacksaw...
  17. X

Sansui AU-555 fix-up

I was lucky enough to be given an old Sansui AU-555 last week, complete with a paper sticker stuck on it saying "Do not switch on - loose" in handwriting, which is always a promising sign! My goal for this amp is to bring it to life, minor restoration (re-cap and replace anything which is...
  18. X

B&W dm610i worth fixing up?

Well apologies for the really late response :) for some reason I didn't get a notification email.. I ended up buying a complete new crossover from bwgroup linked above. It was only about $US15. When it turned up, it was different to the original ones - the plastic tray had two tiers of...
  19. X

Sound great! Turns out there were more issues than I thought :D The good news is the dm610i actually sound pretty good.. well, the one that's perfect at present. They're not as good as my Monitor Audio Silver RS LCR's (I run a pair of LCR's on my PC - they've got 3 drivers and I prefer...
  20. X

Thanks for the feedbback Jon - it'll be interesting to hear them compared to my Monitor Audio's which are fairly bright with metal cones. DIY tempts me, but small kids and a car hobby chew up most of my time, so for now DIY speakers are just something to read about :) From a post...
  21. X

Thanks for the link.. hopefully I can find local replacements for the posts, but I may yet end up getting a replacement tweeter
  22. X

Small world eh? Judging by the history my "winning" offer was $50 higher than anyone else offered. Seller's communication was abyssmal.. I'd pretty much given up on it when he phoned, and I already had bids in on other stuff. The amp works well, but 3 inputs RCA's are broken (a common...
  23. X

Which receivers sound most powerful?

I'm not sold on the Emotiva's processor.. thats my biggest reservation about them (well.. beyond the "do we need an upgrade yet?" question heh) However, I figure that switching to a separate setup for the decoding and amplification opens some options for future upgrades, as well as enabling...
  24. X

I picked up a pair of Bowers and Wilkins dm610i's as part of an ebay purchase last week that I got mainly for the amp (Audiolab 8000A mk3) and CD player (rotel rcd-965bx LE). I already have some nice Monitor Audio Silver RS speakers which do the CD and amp justice, so the speakers are redundant...
  25. X

Which receivers sound most powerful?

You could go with a pre/pro setup? The Emotiva power amp and audio/video processor are getting a lot of attention on the local aussie HT forums. UMC-1 and the XPA-5 will pack a lot of punch (5x 200W into 8ohms), and fit your budget. Since my HT amp broke down a few weeks ago (Yamaha RX-V2600...
Back
Top Bottom